What's new

Olive oil and Bread

We do that without the salt. Nice crispy French or Italian bread with EVOO. Sometimes we put some hot pepper flakes in the mixture.

There are times when we add some herbs. For example, oregano, fresh basil, etc. are a nice change of pace.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Loved it back in the day with balsamic added. Needs to be a good bread though.

Now I need a good keto option, lol.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Olive oil, balsamic, pesto, black pepper and a little shredded mozzarella. Yes, I can make a meal of it.

Loved it back in the day with balsamic added. Needs to be a good bread though.

Now I need a good keto option, lol.
My wife’s bread, and it is a fine dipper. Add a nice salad. Complete meal. Simple can be very delicious.

Attachments

• 7D90E18F-1176-4A76-B3E7-8996F8D60404.jpeg
    7D90E18F-1176-4A76-B3E7-8996F8D60404.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Many of the Mediterranean countries have done this for years. In these countries many live to ripe old ages. There must be something to it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Many of the Mediterranean countries have done this for millennia.

FTFY

Rub a garlic clove on the bread a little bit. Sprinkle a little salt. Grind a little pepper. Drizzle a little oil. Life is good.

Get very good, very fresh, extra virgin olive oil, and you don't need the pepper. The oil is peppery enough on its own.

I've also mopped up more than a little oil from a dish with all those goodies. The vinegar is nice when in the mood, although I tend to go with a little bit of red wine or sherry vinegar when I get my choice. Balsamic tends to overwhelm the olive oil. Any vinegar will if you go with more than a splash.

This is how I grew up in Greece. We call it papara.

Bread (fresh), oil (we never think other than virgin oil), some salt and oregano. That's all. Anything adding on that is not papara.

Top Bottom