What's new

Older Shavers (like me)

I'm 76, and started DE shaving about 15 years ago.

I don't think my beard has changed much. My technique has improved, though - my new game is:

. . . What's the highest setting I can use on a Merkur Progress, and not cut myself ?

I've also just ordered a new, really mild razor -- for my old age, when my hand shakes.

. Charles
If you want a real challenge get a Merkur Vision that is a beast. Also looks cool.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have had more birthdays than most of the gentlemen posting so far in this thread with means most of you are younger than me.

I'm not old!

Therefore you aren't and can't be old.

BOSC.2.LogicProfessorBOSC.jpg

That said, my whiskers are white and wiry. Some are easily removed by any razor. Some are very resistant. My skin doesn't seem to have changed much if at all in ways which impact my shaves.

I've noticed thinner skin in places banged against immobile objects.

1631366765718.png

1631366867298.png

1631366931953.png

1631367205439.png

You might be old and not think so, but if you think you're old you might be.

I'm confused as usual, but after I shave I get to watch football with Big Nurse.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Aging is a very individual thing, when it starts and what the effects are. At 76 I don't see much difference in shaving, except I need to stretch move because of looser skin.

For the sake of @Ckmaui , I'll add that when I was a young man I used to shave standing in the snow with a broken hoe and pig fat. My father shaved using his fingernails and mud.
Was your father a face latherer or a bowl latherer?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
In my mid-fifties and my beard has definitely gotten more stubborn and coarse the last few years. Will this continue till death? I'm trying to see if I should keep my more milder razors when thinning the herd but I've also read that skin generally thins as we age. Any advice?
I’m a young 72 so don’t know much about old age stuff but my beard, although not particularly dense has gotten somewhat tougher. My skin doesn’t feel any thinner though that has to do more with nutrition than shaving. Eat more collagen rich food for that. Anyway, I changed over to straight razors a few years ago and that solved my problems as they don’t nick, don’t cause weepers and are free of irritation. Solved all my shaving woes.

I am 28 years old and I consider myself in the last stage of my youth. I use Gillette Old Type and the same vintage GEM razors. I don't even know what will happen tomorrow, and I may have to choose another razor. However, at the beginning of the 20th century, razors with soft blades did not exist. Perhaps in a hundred years we are simply asking too much, unlike our ancestors ...

The 40s are the old age of youth.
The 50s are the youth of old age.

As a skilled older wet shaver, you just adapt your tools, technique, and routine to the face you have at any given time. It's different for each of us, as we age in varying ways. For me, that means being just more careful with my saggy, baggy, cherub-like face and using the best tools to keep my daily shaves a joy. The one thing that most experience in some form is that our skin gets less elastic as we age. A good moisturizing routine can help, at least a little.

To answer @Fsfty42 's question- I would keep at least some of your milder razors for a while to see if they do become better for you as you get older. IMHO-if they're vintage razors, the prices will likely stay at current levels or increase over time; if they are the modern expensive razors, then I might consider selling some of them.

The OP might also consider donating a razor or two for the upcoming breast cancer charity auction. It's for a great cause and in memory of a great person.

Aging is a very individual thing, when it starts and what the effects are. At 76 I don't see much difference in shaving, except I need to stretch move because of looser skin.

For the sake of @Ckmaui , I'll add that when I was a young man I used to shave standing in the snow with a broken hoe and pig fat. My father shaved using his fingernails and mud.
Made of good stuff there, I used an angle grinder in my early twenties 😂😂😂

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will be 64 on Monday (Lw)
I can shave with just about anything and have no problem with My skin , the only problem I have is shaving my ears 😜
Right there with you my friend.

I've called the folks at "The Guinness Book of Werld Wreckords"..... They are coming out some time this week to measure and count my ear hairs! True story doggone!

Right there with you my friend.

I've called the folks at "The Guinness Book of Werld Wreckords"..... They are coming out some time this week to measure and count my ear hairs! True story doggone!
Yes I think those guys should check on the longest hairs in the body for your akchewel record cause those pubic or anus hairs make your bloody eyes water when they're pulled, I mean how long does it make them if they are attached to your eyeball?

I am 59, and I'll leave whether that is old or late middle aged to you.

I don't think my beard has changed, other than getting gray. My skin is less supple and elastic. I don't think it has changed the way I shave much. I have always had to do multiple passes on my neck as the whiskers grow in many different directions.

Top Bottom