What's new

Older Noob Dipping toe in Wet Shaving

Welcome aboard! Lots of great advice by the other posters.

Technique, angles, etc. You'll not only need these for shaving, but to convince/persuade the significant other, if applicable, the reason you need additional equipment.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B, I suggest you map your beard grain direction. Some fellows can not go against the grain. 2 or 3 days growth should tell you the direction of your whiskers. You will enjoy your shaves more with any razor system used in future.

Welcome! If I might make 2 suggestions, here goes:
  1. All of the blades listed above are fine, but don't be afraid to experiment. For a newbie, I'm going to throw my support to 2 that haven't been listed. They are Voskhod and Tatra. Why? I find them incredibly smooth. But with blades YMMV. And, again, don't be afraid to experiment. If not for some very generous PIFs here, I might not have found Tatras...and I love them.
  2. I'm not pushing you away from soaps, but creams might be easier to get started with. I like Proraso Green. I've also liked and used Palmolive Classic. Nivea Sensitive gets some love on these forums, but I didn't care for it.
So that's my $.02. But take it or leave it. Your choice.

mikhou

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Who knows you might really enjoy this and be tempted to try a straight razor.
You will be amazed how much better a result you’ll get compared to an electric once you get the hang of it.
@mr teal, don't listen to what @sanookd said. Straight razor shaving is only for fools without any sense or brains. It's dangerous (physically and mentally), expensive, you can never fully learn the technique and it's bad for the environment. Besides, it can send you blind. Just don't do it.

Welcome! KCG is great razor for starters in traditional wet shaving I gave it to mu friend and may brother-in-law.

Welcome to B&B where when people are amazing and we all benefit from the knowledge gained from our propensity to occasionally explore rabbit holes 🐇
You already have great advice here so the only thing I can add to it is to not rush. Move your shaving time from morning to night if your beard growth rate for the next day allows it to still be acceptable. Thusly allowing you not to try to squeeze a shave into a rushed time period and work on technique a bit easier.

If you would like to try out a blade sampler from my own stock please let me know. I'll be happy to PIF some to you in honor of the kindness I've been shown by this community.
Appreciate the offer. I have decided to to stay with the KCG blades only for the first two or three months. Taking the KISS advice until Im more comfortable with technique first.

Top Bottom