What's new

Older Newbie

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Beautiful - far nicer than mine!

forum.jpg

I really like noble otter. Slick and smells great!

Hi all!
After perusing the site for a week or so and looking at the array of resources available here I thought what the heck.
I have more questions than answers which is surprising since I have been shaving for more than 50 years!
About 18 months ago I decided to take a look at DE shaving (again) so went about buying my kit.
I have in my possession a non adjustable 1954 Gillette (dated Z) in gold. Very nice condition and purchased off ebay. I am using a soap from the Australian Natural Soap Company which is palm oil free and vegan. Not that I plan to eat it. I have been using Gillette 7 O'clock permasharp stainless which are made in India.
I have two brushes, the first is a Kent VS70 which seems too hard a bristle and I no longer use it. The second is an ever ready 400 PBT pure badger which seems to work OK.
Yesterday while looking through an antique stall I found a NOS Henso (J A Henckels) razor. It looked nice so I bought it! I know nothing about it but it feels and looks sturdy.
After shaving with the above combo for 18 months I still have irritated skin about 30% of the time and regularly nick my neck.
I suspect after looking through a few posts that I have a few technique issues and I probably leave the blades in for too many shaves.
I would appreciate some feedback on changing to a new soap and the best place to purchase?
As I have not experimented with blades at all, what would be good one to try?
Also seeing as I have "the bug" I was considering another razor perhaps a Gillette Fatboy or a Mercur?
The dollars are not as important as the result to me.
I look forward to your help and suggestions.
Regards
Dizzyone

I have the 1953 Y, also gold plated.
The right way to hold it,
is to choke up on it with your thumb and index finger
all the way up at the top of the handle
and to let the other end of the handle rest against the center of your palm.
That makes it easy to control the shaving angle.
The one thing *not* to do is to grab the handle like a handle.

I have the 1953 Y, also gold plated.
The right way to hold it,
is to choke up on it with your thumb and index finger
all the way up at the top of the handle
and to let the other end of the handle rest against the center of your palm.
That makes it easy to control the shaving angle.
The one thing *not* to do is to grab the handle like a handle.

I mentioned that because most of the modern razors have pivoting
or swiveling heads and grabbing the handle *is* the right way to use those.

Top Bottom