What's new

Older Newbie

Hi all!
After perusing the site for a week or so and looking at the array of resources available here I thought what the heck.
I have more questions than answers which is surprising since I have been shaving for more than 50 years!
About 18 months ago I decided to take a look at DE shaving (again) so went about buying my kit.
I have in my possession a non adjustable 1954 Gillette (dated Z) in gold. Very nice condition and purchased off ebay. I am using a soap from the Australian Natural Soap Company which is palm oil free and vegan. Not that I plan to eat it. I have been using Gillette 7 O'clock permasharp stainless which are made in India.
I have two brushes, the first is a Kent VS70 which seems too hard a bristle and I no longer use it. The second is an ever ready 400 PBT pure badger which seems to work OK.
Yesterday while looking through an antique stall I found a NOS Henso (J A Henckels) razor. It looked nice so I bought it! I know nothing about it but it feels and looks sturdy.
After shaving with the above combo for 18 months I still have irritated skin about 30% of the time and regularly nick my neck.
I suspect after looking through a few posts that I have a few technique issues and I probably leave the blades in for too many shaves.
I would appreciate some feedback on changing to a new soap and the best place to purchase?
As I have not experimented with blades at all, what would be good one to try?
Also seeing as I have "the bug" I was considering another razor perhaps a Gillette Fatboy or a Mercur?
The dollars are not as important as the result to me.
I look forward to your help and suggestions.
Regards
Dizzyone

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As you are not eating your soap, give Arko or Tabac sticks a try. They will also serve you well if/when you get into straight razor shaving.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no idea whether the soap you're already using can be surpassed. There are a million soaps. My preference is for one of the least expensive soaps not because it's cheap but because I like it. You can buy it on Amazon and lots of other places.

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

I think you'd probably enjoy a better brush. There are millions of brushes from which to pick.

SemogueSOC.Mistura.480.JPG
One of the very best brushes is the Semogue SOC Mistura. It's available through many vendors so shop for price (including shipping).​

Darn good boar brushes (Zeniths and such) are available for $20 and less. Some of the brushes available and discussed on B&B sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars (each). You don't necessarily get a lot more for your money as you spend a lot more. The Mistura hits a sweet spot, but many other guys will say the same thing about a brush they like.

This is my Gillette Executive. It's the gold version of the Fatboy.

In my opinion the Fatboy is a great razor. Hard to go wrong with it.

Since you're drawn to the Fatboy I say go for it.

Fatboy razors can be pricey, but you don't need one that looks good.​
4-5-21.Executive#5.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

Sometimes you'll see a good Fatboy on the BST. If you're looking on eBay, shop for price and quality. Make sure the vendor says one or both of these things.
  1. The item can be returned.
  2. The razor is in good mechanical condition.
That way you are protected by eBay if the razor is junk or not as described.

Do some reading on the forum and elsewhere so you have an idea what a good Fatboy looks like, what they cost, and how they operate.

I prefer the Fatboy/Executive to any other of the Gillette adjustables I've tried. A good modern adjustable than doesn't break the bank is the Pearl Flexi; it's a very good razor in the view of many including me.

Blades are very individual. That means you might have to try several (or many). I hated some, and liked others, but finally found one I loved and have stayed with it.

My blade preference is set in stone, but that doesn't mean you would like the blade I like. However, a great many guys think it might be the very best. To me it's both smooth and plenty sharp. Also, it seems to never get dull and will go on and on and on. I tried a bunch of blades before finding the right one.

Polsilver SI blades are also excellent but hard to find and expensive; I think Wizamet is the same blade; both feel the same to me.

You probably already know this: On B&B there are a million viewpoints and all sorts of preferences, degrees of experience, incomes and budgets (or lack of a budget), thrift preferences or spendthrift tendencies, and interests. Some gentlemen are big time collectors. Others, just trying to get a great shave.

Have fun with the hobby and remember to ask any question expecting a wide range of answers.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to B&B. There are many excellent soaps out there. One that is easy to lather is Tabac. As for blades, try a sample pack from any vendor. Blades are a matter of personal preference so you should judge for yourself.

Where do you live? Depending on your location we can give you some ideas on vendors.

Irritation usually is caused by poor blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. The neck is a tricky area to shave because keeping the right blade angle and little pressure is a challenge. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Welcome. The Henckels Henso is a lovely razor though it has a narrow sweet spot for the cutting angle. I use mine with a shim and a sharp blade like a Feather or a Kai, you were very lucky to find it NOS. I would love to see a picture of your Henso in the case. 👍

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you read through the WiKi which has a ton of useful information.

In answer to your question on soaps: I suggest you consider trying a few shave sticks, especially Tabac, La Toja and/or Speick. That is one of the easiest ways I know to generate a great lather!

I also suggest you purchase a DE blade sampler pack or two to reevaluate your blade choice.

Welcome. The Henckels Henso is a lovely razor though it has a narrow sweet spot for the cutting angle. I use mine with a shim and a sharp blade like a Feather or a Kai, you were very lucky to find it NOS. I would love to see a picture of your Henso in the case. 👍
I will see if I can figure out how to post a pic. I have now shaved twice with it and really prefer it to the Gillette tech. Used same blade and same soap but no irritation so I am pleased to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom