What's new

Older brushes worth the price

I have been on the lookout for a Rooney brush with a Heritage knot for some time now. The kind with a big bloom. I know someone who is offering one for trade, but I have some thoughts about it before offering a trade.

Would you pay a premium price for a shave brush that is 10+ years old? Perhaps the brush is lightly used and doesn't shed, but there certainly isn't a guarantee the brush will not start to lose hairs after 6 months of regular use. I know just how there are brushes that lose hair when new, there are older brushes that do not shed. I am thinking about the deterioration of the glue strength used in the brush. I have no issues with razors being that old as there isn't glue involved and they are made of a different material. I have a razor that dates before 1892 that shaves wonderfully.

So what are your thoughts on paying/trading a premium for an older brush with a no longer available knot?

It’s a risk you have to take if you want to experience the no longer available stuff.

That being said, I have never had shedding issues from any older brushes I’ve bought. I have had two brushes, sold one, that are dated back to the 80s with no problems. One used previously, one NOS.

Top Bottom