What's new

old watches

im rather inclined to get a vintage watch, ideally mechanical but have some issues.

1. I don't know the right brands to look for. cost/quality/functionality

at moment I KNOW ive seen original rolex go for 500$ or less, but cant find anything online at the moment.

2. I have an extremely corrosive body chemistry. My sweat corrodes titanium glass frames in 6 months or less if I don't get the special over coat options. I KILL watches, I can kill a quartz movement made by Timex in just a few months.

Any ideas? I saw the post on Vostok, but the vostok Europe sight doesn't show the amphibian model or paratrooper on it

Legion

Staff member
im rather inclined to get a vintage watch, ideally mechanical but have some issues.

1. I don't know the right brands to look for. cost/quality/functionality

at moment I KNOW ive seen original rolex go for 500$ or less, but cant find anything online at the moment.

2. I have an extremely corrosive body chemistry. My sweat corrodes titanium glass frames in 6 months or less if I don't get the special over coat options. I KILL watches, I can kill a quartz movement made by Timex in just a few months.

Any ideas? I saw the post on Vostok, but the vostok Europe sight doesn't show the amphibian model or paratrooper on it
If I understand correctly, Vostok Europe are a different company than the one that makes the Vostok classic, which are the more vintage style that the Amphibia and Komandirskie are.

If your sweat is that corrosive I would get the Amphibia models, since they are more water proof, and have less chromed parts (just the bezel, which shouldn't get sweated on.)

I have bought from this place in the past.

Reactions: abj

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I should think you’d be fine with a proper dive watch. Is your sweat more corrosive than ocean salt water? Solid gold ought to be pretty corrosion resistant too, if you’ve got the cheddar for a gold watch.

By kill a quartz do you mean knock off a hand? Most are pretty durable for everyday use, more durable than a mechanical. I might recommend a g-shock but the older ones are digital. You could look for an older Seiko 5, I would expect them to be inexpensive. With the resell prices of Rolex, I would be very surprised if you could find one for $500 that runs and keeps time. There are lots of Vostok models on eBay.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Best place to learn about and pursue vintage watches (or any watches, for that matter) is TimeZone.com. At least it was for me when I was collecting. The ambiance there is much like B&B: refined, polite and helpful.

standard battery powered quartz movement in a timex watch. I kill those things. it either my sweat or electric field. I kill them like ted kennedy in car

Top Bottom