What's new

Old vs New Straight Razors Observation

The more opportunity I get to hone and shave with new and vintage straight razors, the more I am of the opinion that the older blades just shaves better that anything new I have used.

I know my shaving skill improves with every shave and I rotate my blades religiously, but evertime time I use either my Begall 5/8, original Bismarck 5/8 or Hamburg Ring 6/8 the experience is mind blowing. I am not sure how to descibe it, my new Dovo Bismarck which is an exceptional shaver just feels bland in comparison.

What do the more experienced users think of this silly thought? If there is some truth to this, why?

I am off to find more vintage razors...

I am most definitely a vintage advocate! In fact the only new blades I've owned were ZY's and Gold Dollars. So, technically I don't have experience using new blades, but I have never felt the need to buy one either(except for that Korrat which I changed my mind on $450 was just too much).

This is only my two cents: There are fantastic straight razors and some not quite as recommendable. In my experience age doesn't have much to do with it. Even so a good vintage razor once cost the about a weeks pay for most buyers. If you spend a weeks pay on a new razor you can be almost certain that you'll get a very special razor.

As much as I love my Portland Razor Hydra, my favourite blade was a vintage W&B near wedge FBU at 15/16. That thing just had to be held CLOSE to the skin for hair to start dropping off.

Funny thing is, now that I am back to using Safety Razors, I am strictly favouring modern equipment. Strange how that is.

Try a Japanese razor as well as they're always outstanding. They take an outstanding edge and hold it exceptionally well. While some names are a bit more popular than others as they can be tied to famous makers, I have yet to find a bad one regardless of the name on it. Given the tradition of sword and knife making in Japan it's not surprising that the Japanese steel razors are excellent. Most here haven't discovered them yet so they can be very affordable as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Good vintage razors are typically way underpriced for what you are getting. Bad vintage razors are not worth getting. "Oh, I was just selling it for its collectors value" LOL! "It is a keepsake, not meant for shaving! Why would you want to do that?" ROTFLMAO! A nice Union Spike or Genco or Torrey in good shape without too much blade worn away, often is awesomely priced at about what a case of cheap beer costs and certainly shaves as good or possibly even better than a brand new blade selling for $150 or so. Vintage razors also have class. And it is just plain cool to shave with an instrument that has been shaving faces for 100 years or more, and never needed a blade change in all that time. New razor? Oh. How nice. So.... new, or something. Nothing special. And depreciation begins as soon as you open the box. I have probably 15 pounds of straight razors, and no more than a half dozen bought new, unless you count Gold Dollars. Vintage razors rock.

Mhm . . . I do not think anyone is buying a "new" straight razor hoping it will appreciate in value. But there are some genuinely gifted people out there making some very good products. Craftsman can be found in any age.

My Ed Brice razors shave incredibly and were no more expensive than the bigger brands.

Bruno van Dooren is making Wootz razors something you won't find in vintage razors I don't think because the art of damascene was lost until Al Pendray rediscovered it in the late 20th century. Wootz grabs the hairs in a unique way and holds an edge beautifully.

@bluesman7 Creates the most beautiful pattern welded Damascus razors in my opinion. I haven't seen anything vintage like them.

If you look for them there are amazing modern razors.

I love shaving with vintage Sheffield razors but the razors that blow me away are made by modern masters.

The only real issue I have with new razors is the propensity of them to be 1/4, maybe half hollows unless they come out of Solingin.

Metal for the blank is also a factor with the heavier grinds.

I just haven’t seen many high end, small batch artisans making thinner than 1/2, 3/4 hollow.

Modern production, mass produced full hollows tend to lack something comparatively.

In older pre war Solingen you’ll find thinner grinds with small bellies that are closer to the edge. Still I find no issue with modern production. I have a Dovo 5/8 best that has a couple hundred shaves on it and it has seen the stones once. Shaves beautifully.

I really have no qualms with modern Solingen production. I miss the variety of forged shapes and scale materials but understand why they have cut back. There is not the demand for straights like there was 100 years ago. I am glad they are still around maintaining traditions that go back 100s of years.

I like custom razors but I see them as different animals. Even the best hollow custom is more of a stiffer double concave then singing bellied hollow. Not better or worse just different. Most custom makers don’t have access to the traditional wet grinding machinery.

I’d rather have a new Aust, Wacker or Dovo than some restored razor that has been sanded and over buffed. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a moments interest in a new SR. I'm not really a collector or hobbyist. Experiencing the past is my reason for being involved. I'd rather have a razor from a time when companies around the world were competing for the business of the trade and private users. The steel had to be right back then.

I've got some really nice vintage razors, but I also love my Wacker and Koraats. There's good razors out there. Probably try to budget about $300 to find a NOS or new razor.

IMG_20190920_120548.jpg
Of the 7 blades currently in weekly use there's only one new blade.All the others are old Solingen razors.
Their shaves are smoother.

Last edited:
[1]
In older pre war Solingen you’ll find thinner grinds with small bellies that are closer to the edge. Still I find no issue with modern production. I have a Dovo 5/8 best that has a couple hundred shaves on it and it has seen the stones once. Shaves beautifully.

I really have no qualms with modern Solingen production. I miss the variety of forged shapes and scale materials but understand why they have cut back. There is not the demand for straights like there was 100 years ago. I am glad they are still around maintaining traditions that go back 100s of years.

I like custom razors but I see them as different animals. Even the best hollow custom is more of a stiffer double concave then singing bellied hollow. Not better or worse just different. Most custom makers don’t have access to the traditional wet grinding machinery.

I’d rather have a new Aust, Wacker or Dovo than some restored razor that has been sanded and over buffed. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a few new Dovo's and to me they are not in the same league as old razors.
But a few hundred shaves and only been on the stones once??
The most I get is maybe 10 shaves and I'll take the blade to the 12000 for a light touch up.

Top Bottom