What's new

Old time Christmas traditions

In my childhood, the local Christmas trees were all Eastern Red Cedar, cut from the woods. The first local Christmas Tree lots were the same species of tree, and those from town could go and cut their own. Not sure when it changed, but it was within the last three decades. All of a sudden, another species predominated, delivered in town or grown locally.

Maybe this is because there are problem with Eastern Red Cedar as a Christmas tree. The needles dry out, which is a fire hazard, and become hard and brittle and something not quite like sand spurs, but uncomfortable to step on. The stand was either the nailed-on cross-piece, as seen on the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, but you couldn't water the tree. The other choice was a trash can or lard bucket filled with dirt, wrapped in wrapping paper. At least you could water the tree. The tree still dried out. The "store bought" stands were already making inroads, but don't remember seeing one on sale locally.

It was the problems with Eastern Red Cedar that led to us getting an artificial tree. It had a two-piece "truck" made of wood, with a circular mortise for attaching the top to the bottom. The stand was a "store bought" Christmas tree stand, the limbs and needles were plastic and metal and were like a toilet brush, except it was green and not looped together. Lasted a long time, too. Those needles might have played havoc with satin ornaments, but they were robust.

In what was probably not the best choice of costume, the Wise Men in the church Christmas plays wore Spanish Moss beards. Spanish Moss is a notorious refuge for red bugs.

My daughter woke up one year, hearing Santa clattering around on the roof. It was all my wife could do to keep her in her room to avoid surprising the big guy as he left presents under the tree. Me? I was fast asleep . . . I heard nothing, but was fascinated to hear the tale in the morning.

We had a sleigh bell decoration. When The Polar Express came out, used shake it and go "Huh, must be broke," as the kids made "Dad joke" protests. That "tradition" only lasted a few years.

One my wife and I always do is to drink non-alcoholic egg nog on Christmas. With family, it last only one time. When it was just the two of us, it took several sessions to consume. Once, just to use it up, I poured it on cereal. It did not taste good at all.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My daughter woke up one year, hearing Santa clattering around on the roof. It was all my wife could do to keep her in her room to avoid surprising the big guy as he left presents under the tree. Me? I was fast asleep . . . I heard nothing, but was fascinated to hear the tale in the morning.
Reminds a bit of when my nephew was little. It's always been sort of a tradition for Dad to wake up any stragglers Christmas morning by yelling "Ho, ho, ho!" My nephew was just old enough to start to understand Santa, and he heard Dad, and got really excited.

Christmas is different now that the kids are grown. For one we can sleep later. But remembered what's a tradition in our family: Carrying a knife on Christmas morning.

No idea when it started. Everyone heads for the tree, and at least one person remembers to pick up their EDC knife, the sharper the better. Into adulthood, we saved wrapping paper, and would carefully slit the tape and unwrap presents so that it could be reused. We only reused wrapping paper for immediate family, sometimes over several years, until it was too small or too worn out. Does days are long gone, and wrapping paper sees only one use (I still feel funny about that), but I still bring a knife to the Christmas tree. It's perfect for opening taped gift bags and removing bows, which we still reuse, not to mention opening taped boxes, blister packs, and removing tags.

When the kids were little, I added carrying a multi-tool. It was prefect for removing those tiny do-dads secured to display packs with wires and screws, and for opening battery compartments.

Now we have the luxury of dressing for the day before opening presents, which meant I had my multi-tool and two additional knives. That came in handy this morning, and that's when memories of Christmas past and all the times we brought a knife and multi-tool to the Christmas tree came to mind.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Christmas is different now that the kids are grown. For one we can sleep later. But remembered what's a tradition in our family: Carrying a knife on Christmas morning.

No idea when it started. Everyone heads for the tree, and at least one person remembers to pick up their EDC knife, the sharper the better. Into adulthood, we saved wrapping paper, and would carefully slit the tape and unwrap presents so that it could be reused. We only reused wrapping paper for immediate family, sometimes over several years, until it was too small or too worn out. Does days are long gone, and wrapping paper sees only one use (I still feel funny about that), but I still bring a knife to the Christmas tree. It's perfect for opening taped gift bags and removing bows, which we still reuse, not to mention opening taped boxes, blister packs, and removing tags.

When the kids were little, I added carrying a multi-tool. It was prefect for removing those tiny do-dads secured to display packs with wires and screws, and for opening battery compartments.

Now we have the luxury of dressing for the day before opening presents, which meant I had my multi-tool and two additional knives. That came in handy this morning, and that's when memories of Christmas past and all the times we brought a knife and multi-tool to the Christmas tree came to mind.
Wonderful memory!

I'm the Unkle that has the multi tool in his pocket!

We started a crazy tradition a few years ago. We listen to Christmas music while we wrap and we mix in some artists on the gift tags. LOL 20191223_212309.jpg

FarmerTan

We started a crazy tradition a few years ago. We listen to Christmas music while we wrap and we mix in some artists on the gift tags. LOLView attachment 1046624
This is so me!

I'm cheap, so I make cards for my wife, my mom, etc.

On the back, where it should say "Hallmark ®" I sign it "specially created for you by: " and I sign it John Wayne Gacy or some other serial killer.

Yes, I do need help. But all my cards are treasured by my weird family.

And: I saved so much money I was able to retire early!

This is so me!

I'm cheap, so I make cards for my wife, my mom, etc.

On the back, where it should say "Hallmark ®" I sign it "specially created for you by: " and I sign it John Wayne Gacy or some other serial killer.

Yes, I do need help. But all my cards are treasured by my weird family.

And: I saved so much money I was able to retire early!

That's hilarious! My wife does almost the same thing for me. She'll help the kids make cards for me and she'll incorporate all their names into the trademark stuff on the back.

FarmerTan

That's hilarious! My wife does almost the same thing for me. She'll help the kids make cards for me and she'll incorporate all their names into the trademark stuff on the back.
Yeah, the serial killer thing is kinda stupid, but if folks are going to be on death row for so long it might be a good way to recoup some of the cost of room and board!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, the serial killer thing is kinda stupid, but if folks are going to be on death row for so long it might be a good way to recoup some of the cost of room and board!
Well, at least you didn’t say that the Christmas meal was lovingly prepared by Jeffery Dahmer. :)

Top Bottom