What's new

Old Star, Rubberset 49-3, and Ever-Ready 100T

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Glue bump that you can't see is what I am talking about.
Here are two same size knots , The pictures show how that the glue wicked up
the knot . when it travels up towards the tips it flairs out making it bigger as goes up

Attachments

• knot.jpg
    knot.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16
  • knot4.jpg
    knot4.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 16
  • knot5.jpg
    knot5.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 16
For starters, it means you need to have the knot in hand to determine what size hole to drill, and depending on how much the glue creeps up the knot it can have a big impact on the performance. I have a knot with a glue "stalagmite" in it which only allows the upper 1" of the hairs to hold lather. It sucks. I can't think of any reason why a glue bump would be a positive other than if you drilled the hole beforehand and somehow used the wrong forstner bit and made it too big, a very unlikely scenario. This doesn't mean a glue bump is necessarily a negative though, more like a minor hassle that you get used to dealing with.

Also, if the plug is 0.05mm smaller than stated size it won't make a difference. You probably couldn't detect that small of a difference without a 5x or maybe even a 10x magnifying glass.

I grabbed the 16mm TGN Finest too, which will allow me to wrap-up all three empty handles nicely.

The Maggard Synthetic Knot arrived today, a 20mm B&W.
proxy.php

The measurements:
19.84mm Knot • 62mm Total Loft • ~17mm Glue Bump • 53mm Handle

The handle cleaned up pretty well without any buffing or polishing. I need to decide soon[24 hours].

proxy.php

With the knot resting in the handle
proxy.php
proxy.php

The Loft will be 107mm, as is, without opening the handle up any more. The plan is to set it with silicone, not epoxy.

Attachments

• Knot and Handle.JPG
    Knot and Handle.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Close-up on the bristles.JPG
    Close-up on the bristles.JPG
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Are you considering setting it lower? Purely my opinion, but it seems a bit high. Setting it with silicone is not a bad idea, I have never done it, however, I know many have.

The colors are looking very nice together; a classy brush when complete.

I am considering a lower loft. As it is, the knot would be set at an 8mm depth, but it looks like it needs almost a 12mm depth. If I enlarge the opening, I get to pull out the :tank:, my drill press.

I wrapped up the 100T today. I began by opening up the handle a little more and dating the knot...
proxy.php

proxy.php

2017 Penny attached to the knot

proxy.php

100T Rehabbed as a 100Tux

19.84 knot / 22mm opening / 46mm Loft / 53mm Handle / 99mm total / Tuxedo

I wrapped up the 100T today. I began by opening up the handle a little more and dating the knot...
proxy.php

proxy.php

2017 Penny attached to the knot

proxy.php

100T Rehabbed as a 100Tux

19.84 knot / 22mm opening / 46mm Loft / 53mm Handle / 99mm total / Tuxedo
Nicely done, that is going to be a great brush.

128584BC-2A91-48F6-8248-F1649E42D8E0.jpeg
Need to share the lather from the maiden voyage.

As many have said and shared, it’s a crazy good knot. Feels nice on the face, lathered nicely and stayed loaded.
It will take time to grasp some of the nuances and unique characteristics of different the knots, so hopefully that will come with time.

Top Bottom