What's new

Old Spice: Unbreakable icon shines in plastic

welcome, and thanks for posting a cool article!

I'm a little less sad they switched from glass now.

you can still find some of the old glass bottles if you know where to look. i don't mind the plastic ones as you can take them on a plane or in a car you won't have to worry about breakage.

also great avatar. hail to the redskins!

you can still find some of the old glass bottles if you know where to look. i don't mind the plastic ones as you can take them on a plane or in a car you won't have to worry about breakage.

also great avatar. hail to the redskins!

Thanks....hopefully the Skins can get things going after the good win last Sunday.

Where is a good place to find the old bottles? Someone on here had mentioned they found some at the Dollar Store so I might check there. I guess we always have ebay too.

also great avatar. hail to the redskins![/QUOTE]

Yes, great avatar!
And welcome to the B&B!

I've tried looking for the glass bottles meself down in my neck of the woods with no luck. I also tried up along the Rockville-Gaithersburg (270 Corridor) this past weekend and came up blank.

Where is a good place to find the old bottles? Someone on here had mentioned they found some at the Dollar Store so I might check there. I guess we always have ebay too.

Look for stores with low volume sales and less turnover, ie small mom & pop drug stores and groceries. I've found several bottles in large chain grocers in "younger" parts of town, ie places where OS will sit on a shelf for awhile.

My local supermarket had 4 or 5 in glass bottles. I decided to wait 'til the next shopping trip, and they were all gone. Oh well, I still have one glass bottle at least.

Not sure if this article has been posted, but I did a search and didn't see it.

It's a good article explaining the reason & process for the switch from the Old Spice After Shave ceramic bottle to the new plastic bottles. Here is the link:
http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/CA6545896.html

Btw, I'm new here....and I'm already addicted to this forum. :biggrin:

Glad you joined us! Welcome! As for the article, I have seen it and am not impressed with the glossy spread; they are trying really hard to justify their decision to destroy an American icon. First it was the decision to replace the clipper ship design on the bottle with the stupid sail boat and now they have turned a "real man's" after-shave container into a crappy, childish piece of junk. Sorry I feel so strongly about this subject but I had to state my opinion.

Hank

Glad you joined us! Welcome! As for the article, I have seen it and am not impressed with the glossy spread; they are trying really hard to justify their decision to destroy an American icon. First it was the decision to replace the clipper ship design on the bottle with the stupid sail boat and now they have turned a "real man's" after-shave container into a crappy, childish piece of junk. Sorry I feel so strongly about this subject but I had to state my opinion.

Hank

I bet it doesn't taste the same in plastic, either. Wait... :confused:

I bet it doesn't taste the same in plastic, either. Wait... :confused:

I was in the store the other day and saw that they had 6 packs of coke in glass bottles but with the plastic twist-top lids like on a 20oz plastic bottle. Of course it cost a little more than plastic bottles, but I notice they didn't stay on the shelves long. I hold out hope that Old Spice will figure out that some of us are willing to pay for a little luxury. Although, I suspect maybe that was the point of the plastic bottles to begin with--- make us willing to pay more for what we were already getting. :frown:

The bottle of an American icon was made in.... ol' Belgium of course :biggrin::cool:

Wonder where the plastic one is made... Holland? France? :lol:

I was in the store the other day and saw that they had 6 packs of coke in glass bottles but with the plastic twist-top lids like on a 20oz plastic bottle. Of course it cost a little more than plastic bottles, but I notice they didn't stay on the shelves long. I hold out hope that Old Spice will figure out that some of us are willing to pay for a little luxury. Although, I suspect maybe that was the point of the plastic bottles to begin with--- make us willing to pay more for what we were already getting. :frown:

actually a few weeks ago they had an even older design of the coke bottles, with the metal cap...yes, I grabbed some, just to remember the clankety-clank of glass bottles in the buggy...
as for Old Spice, don't they know the glass bottles are "greener" than plastic? at least as far as the end product is concerned...

actually a few weeks ago they had an even older design of the coke bottles, with the metal cap...yes, I grabbed some, just to remember the clankety-clank of glass bottles in the buggy...
as for Old Spice, don't they know the glass bottles are "greener" than plastic? at least as far as the end product is concerned...

One of the big things about the old spice bottle was that they had to import a special sand from Egypt to make the glass that colour. I can't believe that they can't find a different/closer source of sand that is very similar in colour. I would be willing to accept a bottle that had a slightly different hue if it meant keeping glass bottles.

One of the big things about the old spice bottle was that they had to import a special sand from Egypt to make the glass that colour. I can't believe that they can't find a different/closer source of sand that is very similar in colour. I would be willing to accept a bottle that had a slightly different hue if it meant keeping glass bottles.

I'm remembering reading something about that awhile back, now that you mention it

Hank

absolutely!
another lost tradition, and now please bow to the gods of j-i-t (just in time) delivery.

The only green they are worried about is the green in our wallets. :biggrin:

Egyptian sand has to be "dirt" cheap.....that's all there is over there.

Yup, any glass bottle is better than none.

Hank

Yeah it enrages me too. I feel the same type of anger that I did when Listerine went from the glass bottles wrapped in the cardboard package to the plastic bottle it is now in. :mad:

Top Bottom