What's new

OLD SPICE.... Surely there is a way...

I keep reading about the original old spice of yesteryear, and how you simply ca't get it in North America anymore. But wait, you can send away for it from India...! Like I'n gonna do that?!

I don't know when the true original scent was last available in North America - I heard it was 2015.

In any case, it seems to me like the makers of Old Spice now could easily re-market this old scent. Call it Old Spice Vintage, Old Spice Classic, or whatever.

Heck, they have about 100 other variations on Old Spice. Actually they're not really variations, just different scents with the OS name above them.

So why not bring back the original scent, kinda like Coke Classic?

It would work and it would sell. Of this I am sure.

Last edited:
I heard it was 2015.
Well before that.

In any case, it seems to me like the makers of Old Spice now could easily re-market this old scent.
Part of the problem is, they claim the formula did not change. So they probably wouldn't even know how to make it.

Luckily, there is still a lot of vintage stuff out there. I have founds tons of it, for cheap, at antique stores. And if you can't find it, Avon's Spicy or Avon's Brisk Spice are both very suitable copies of the original formula. I've tested many noses, and they can't tell the difference.

Why would you want it to be adulterated like Coke Classic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, what I mean is that they could just give it some special name for branding like Coke did. But you make a good point. Just return to the original formula and have some message around the branding that speaks to that. Just keep calling it Old Spice and say "now in the classic formulation" or something like that. I was kind of thinking that they would keep the current 'flagship' brand of Old Spice and would therefore have to rename the original.

OS can give us 20 different scents in 100 different products. Surely they can do this original scent again

I agree that they need to bring it back along with the shaving soap. It was great stuff. I still have my Grand Turk mug which is the best mug I have, but I cannot easily get more.

Sure helps to have Indian friends=costs 215 Rupees for a bottle (3 bucks). I try to get some every time they go back.

I agree that they need to bring it back along with the shaving soap. It was great stuff. I still have my Grand Turk mug which is the best mug I have, but I cannot easily get more.

I have an OS mug, not sure what kind it is

Isn't there a web site where we can make a petition and then send it to P&G once we get a 100K signatures or something like that?

They'll never admit that they changed it. I think that there is pretty much the end of the story.

Anyway, it was one of the most popular men's products for decades. There's always going to be vintage bottles out there.

As for me, I'm well stocked on Avon Spicy and Ivy Club Spice..

Prices are so competitive on eBay, so the only drawback with buying from India is waiting for it to be shipped, but the way I see it, you'll enjoy it all the more when it arrrives

I've got 150ml glass bottles of Old Spice Original, Musk and (my favourite by far) Fresh Lime
When the bottles are nearly empty, I'll just order replacements on eBay

The stuff from India is no longer the same formula either. That OS ship sailed too.

PandG has said to me the formula has not changed as well. I don’t think they see it as that much of a money maker to bring back whichever expensive ingredients have changed. It happens.

The vintage is ample and available. Its easily purchased in whatever volume you’d like. Just make sure the bottle says Shulton on the back.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have several Vintage soaps and cologne bottles and After Shave that I have found on the bay .
Some go back to the 50s ,The ones that I use every Sunday are from the 80s .
They make great lather and still have most of their scent. The Cologne is perfect and so is the After Shave still
with a nice Original scent. just be careful if you buy on the bay make sure that the seller has a good ratting.
As far as the Indian Old Spice goes , not even close to the scent of the past. You know the stuff your Father used .

The current Indian versions of OS, OS Lime, and OS Musk are available at West Coast Shaving. It's $8 for 50mL.

I haven't tried them, but they're there if you're having trouble acquiring some vintage Shulton OS.

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has some good alternatives - and flakers like "Cold Spices" and "Oud Spice." Beats using a 30yr old bottle or having to shell out too much cash to get one. Plus the ingredients are higher quality. It's not the same as the OG, but it's a great replacement. If there is such a thing.

^^THIS^
I too miss Old Spice shaving soap. I returned from the land of greasy kid stuff and fads, to the real world of shaving about a year ago and tried to find it. Imagine my surprise when I found it had gone out of production. I have a couple of the old mugs from Old Spice. I still use my original. I cannot for the life of me remember from where I got the other. I also would like the lime scent back.

For all those pinning their hopes on the original old spice scent from shulton in Indian old spice are going to be disappointed.

It is correct that P&G was unable to own the brand in India till a few years back due to the local contract hiring by Shulton way back with an Indian manufacturer.

Sadly the contract expired and P&G took over. The new old spice is again not the original formula like the yesteryears from India. They did a huge marketing Blitz of Old Spice on taking over the brand and the packaging was revamped to its current form.

They did not return the Shulton contactor and gave it to one of their own contractors for manufacturing.

I find the newer version different from the original.

Top Bottom