What's new

Old Spice Shaving Mug

It is nice to get a bargain up to a point. Stories of "I scored a gold toggle for $5" don't sit too well with me. It seems like taking advantage of someone to me, and the buyer goes down a little in my estimation. An auction is one thing but a ridiculously low asking price is another. I guess it is a judgement for each person and their own moral compass. Sorry to sound sanctimonious. 👍

If I ever see an Old Spice mug like yours for a price I’m willing to pay (that is, much less than it could sell for), my sanctimony won’t slow me down a bit.

On the other hand, I have given a few newbie vintage sellers more than their asking price for shaving items. I figure that a new vintage seller who gets some encouragement and information will scout out more shaving gear for my future visits.

Now the ones with a scummy, cracked Old Type in an Aristocrat case, priced at $100... should I bother to lecture them?

I'm looking at this mug. It's in like-new condition. The seller is asking $15. Do you guys think its worth it?

Hip Hip Hurrah, I got the mug today! It looks brand new too.

The seller told me that he got it just before joining the Navy. I'm inclined to believe him too. His wife was there, nodding her head in agreement. He said that the Navy would not let them take anything with insignia on it. So the mug stayed behind. It remained in a batch of stuff all those years. Now he is cleaning things out and was going to throw it away.
I'm happy that I was able to give a little back for his service.

Well, I have a problem. What soap should I put in my new to me Old Spice mug? I don't have vintage Old Spice soap. I could get some, but that's a little out of my range. I do have Williams, but are they friends? Back in the day, they competed. I want to try Tabac. My mug was created after WW2. So maybe that would no longer be a conflict. Stirling is on the mug's radar. I've not tried it yet. Fine Accouterments is something that I'm interested in. I think they were born in the US then moved to the Netherlands. So far, Stirling is the only hi-quality US-made soap on my list. I'm sure that I'm missing some—hopefully, a lot. I have nothing against soaps made outside the US. It's just that my mug was made in the US. I like masculine scents woodsy-musk types. Any suggestions?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Well, I have a problem. What soap should I put in my new to me Old Spice mug? I don't have vintage Old Spice soap. I could get some, but that's a little out of my range. I do have Williams, but are they friends? Back in the day, they competed. I want to try Tabac. My mug was created after WW2. So maybe that would no longer be a conflict. Stirling is on the mug's radar. I've not tried it yet. Fine Accouterments is something that I'm interested in. I think they were born in the US then moved to the Netherlands. So far, Stirling is the only hi-quality US-made soap on my list. I'm sure that I'm missing some—hopefully, a lot. I have nothing against soaps made outside the US. It's just that my mug was made in the US. I like masculine scents woodsy-musk types. Any suggestions?
I grated an inexpensive scent free soap, in my case MWF, into my mug then seeded it with vintage Shulton Old Spice. I left it a few days then compressed the soap into the bottom of the mug. It retains all the performance of MWF and smells great. I used the same method with Fabergé Brut and vintage Aramis. 👍

Thats a good Idea. The only problem is that vintage Old Spice is a little too far out yet. First, I would like to go after the none vintage soaps.

I say go for it. The mug I have now fits nicely in my hand. And it has a low enuff profile. With a thumb hole and low profile, it helps with loading the brush. I don't usually build a lather in it. Good luck.

I now have a fantastic custom made lid for my old spice mug. It was a gift from a B&B member. Very nice!! The wood was from an old fir tree.
It turns out that the tree had many gifts to give. The wood was first used to build a deck. Now 100 years later, the lid for my mug was born. I'm not going to give the name of the member, but if you look at the picture and have been following this thread. Then you can figure it out. The generosity of this forum is terrific. Thank you, B&B!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Hip Hip Hurrah, I got the mug today! It looks brand new too.

The seller told me that he got it just before joining the Navy. I'm inclined to believe him too. His wife was there, nodding her head in agreement. He said that the Navy would not let them take anything with insignia on it. So the mug stayed behind. It remained in a batch of stuff all those years. Now he is cleaning things out and was going to throw it away.
I'm happy that I was able to give a little back for his service.

Total bargain. Would go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that’s amazing. I’ve used one of these everyday all day in the barber shop for the past five years. I never even imagined it to have a lid! That’s amazing! They get plenty of compliments... Cheers

Have my dad's OS mug from '77. No lid. I ordered one from Frugal Shaver on ETSY with the compass rose.
But a wood one with the compass rose would be cool as all get out!

Attachments

• 07-03 Shave pic.JPG
    07-03 Shave pic.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
These really inspire me to get one now.
It's turned into a kind of hobby for me after reading some of these threads. I have two of the early glass mugs. A late '40s and a '50's-60's. I'm waiting on delivery of an early '40s Hull Pottery ceramic mug. I probably won't use them as my shave spot has a granite counter top and marble tile floor. :ohmy:

It's turned into a kind of hobby for me after reading some of these threads. I have two of the early glass mugs. A late '40s and a '50's-60's. I'm waiting on delivery of an early '40s Hull Pottery ceramic mug. I probably won't use them as my shave spot has a granite counter top and marble tile floor. :ohmy:

I use mine all the time, but just for loading. They perch behind a lip on top of the medicine cabinet.

The routine:
Take it down first thing, with dry hands.
Set it on a towel on the vanity, next to the wall, away from the sink and the front of the counter.
Load from it secured with one hand, mug sitting flat on the towel.
Put it away last, after the clutter is gone and my hands are dry again.

It seems perfectly safe. Of course, if I ever break my Hull Pottery mug I will curse my overconfidence.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Wait-justa-durn-minit... With that there cover on it, how does one place the brush in the mug when done shaving as actually was common practice when Old Spice mugs were used by their original owners?

If you have one of those Old Spice shaving mugs (like the OP has) and just want a lid to keep the dust out, the cans containing cake icing at the grocery store have lids that fit the Old Spice mugs like they were made for the purpose! Betty Crocker is red, Pillsbury is blue.
1594439206011.jpeg
1594439378169.jpeg

I like the Pottery mugs. If I find one in the $10 range (not ebay) it's almost an automatic response. Each one is a little different.

-jim

I had confidence someone was 3d printing lids for these, and as always B&B delivers. Now I just need to get lids for the current OS mug stash...and then more mugs :thumbup1:

Top Bottom