What's new

Old Spice Shaving Brush

Hi Gents.... I bought an Old Spice Shaving Brush in very good condition but, I received the brush gave it a soak in warm water after 20 minutes soak gave the brush a wash in shampoo.

Now giving the age of the brush the boar bristles are very brittle and braking off about 20mm from the tips, so I plan to Reknot this now would you go 2 band badger or a boar knot.
I'm thinking more to keeping it original like for like, but cannot make my mind up here is the brush in question....

20190816_163438.jpg
20190816_163454.jpg

The handle was intended for a boat knot. The handle looks great and it really looks like a great boar knot would be a perfect match.
I guess that you'll put a badger knot in it just to spite me.:001_tongu

The handle was intended for a boat knot. The handle looks great and it really looks like a great boar knot would be a perfect match.
I guess that you'll put a badger knot in it just to spite me.:001_tongu

Hahahaha No not at all Arne!!!
I have the 22mm 2 band badger here just waiting upon the 22mm boar, But you Sir do have wisdom this is the 2 band I was thinking about.

10.jpg

And this is the Boar that I think I will use when it arrives

11.jpg

As you have just given me the prod in the right direction and Thank you Arne...:clap::clap::clap:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice brush handle, I think either knot would look great in that handle. Lucky I don’t have to choose.

Yeah that's the problem Andrew. I was going with the badger but Arne pushed the right button, and yes it would be a shame to spoil a beautiful handle by adding a badger so it will stay as a boar brush....

That's a sweet looking brush. I think you are going with the right choice in boar, especially since it says genuine boar bristle right on the handle. Look forward to seeing it when it's finished.

Giving the brush a daily bath with conditioner that has hair repair protein will do wonders for the knot. I managed to salvage an Omega 48 that kept breaking off the tips like you described.

I paid $2.5 for the conditioner, just the regular stuff from any supermarket.

If the brush was used there's crusty dried up soap inside the bristles (inside the hair itself) that makes them break off. Swishing the brush in 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar for few minutes also does miracles for boar bristles.

Last edited:
I think all the long “mug lathering” style brushes look far better with a boar than a badger. Nice handle too, it’s in great condition.

Giving the brush a daily bath with conditioner that has hair repair protein will do wonders for the knot. I managed to salvage an Omega 48 that kept breaking off the tips like you described.

I paid $2.5 for the conditioner, just the regular stuff from any supermarket.

If the brush was used there's crusty dried up soap inside the bristles (inside the hair itself) that makes them break off. Swishing the brush in 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar for few minutes also does miracles for boar bristles.

Very true Sir!!!
I am going to use a conditioner for the next 3 weeks to see if it can be saved, only as a last resort will I reknot as this brush has never been used so it is worth trying to save it.
But I do have a new Boar knot on route just in case....

I think all the long “mug lathering” style brushes look far better with a boar than a badger. Nice handle too, it’s in great condition.

Thank you Jay!!! I was over the moon when it arrived I was expecting it to be cracked, but nothing not even a mark on it the sellers photos could have been better. But I had to take the plunge pleased I did now...

BTW the part for my Jet lathe has finely got here, after many phone calls to the supply depot they had a batch of spindle locking rings that was bagged up wrong. That's why none they sent fitted so had to send back at their cost, so looks like I need to strip it down and get it fitted then set it all up. Ready to join you guys and a new learning curve so questions will be asked to you fine Gents....

...BTW the part for my Jet lathe has finely got here, after many phone calls to the supply depot they had a batch of spindle locking rings that was bagged up wrong. That's why none they sent fitted so had to send back at their cost, so looks like I need to strip it down and get it fitted then set it all up. Ready to join you guys and a new learning curve so questions will be asked to you fine Gents....

Excellent, it’s about time isn’t it? Pulling the spindle bearing is no fun but it will be worth the work. Do you plan on making wood or resin handles?

Excellent, it’s about time isn’t it? Pulling the spindle bearing is no fun but it will be worth the work. Do you plan on making wood or resin handles?

Not looking forward to it at all, But it needs doing.
but I am looking forward to making both wood and resin, plus other things that's for sure so a lot of questions will be asked.....

Not looking forward to it at all, But it needs doing.
but I am looking forward to making both wood and resin, plus other things that's for sure so a lot of questions will be asked.....

I’ll be happy to help with whatever I can. I’ve gotten into making bud vases, small hollowforms, and especially lidded boxes (containers). You have a lot more freedom with design compared to bowls & pens and even brushes, especially with the boxes. I’ll be finishing a leopardwood box today to give as a gift. I’m also currently working on an hourglass holder which is a first for me. I haven’t been doing much with resin lately but I easily have 50 blanks of different sizes waiting their turn, probably more.

Here is the update on this brush after repeated washes in conditioner and I even tried hot oil for hair, with no luck but my new boar knot arrived on Tuesday. So been trying to save the knot without any luck. So enough was enough, pulled it out tonight and in went the new boar and here she is all looking smart.

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

So just have to wait till the epoxy has fully cured then try her out.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom