What's new

Old Spice Original Shave Cream Review

This is my review of Old Spice Original Shave Cream.

Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;​
  1. Pears Soap with Mint Extract Bath Soap
  2. The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Scrub
  3. Old Spice Original Shave Cream
  4. Q-Shave scuttle
  5. Stirling Soap Finest Badger Shave Brush
  6. Rockwell 6S on R6, R5, and R4
  7. Gillette Rubies DE Philippine Version (1st use)
  8. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  9. Old Spice Aftershave USA Version
  10. Old Spice Classic Deodorant
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Old Spice Original Shave Shave Cream. This is also the same process I use with all my shave creams (Note: Small process change of using different efficiency settings with every pass.);​

1. While I brushed my teeth I made sure the scuttle ran under the hot water
  2. I filled the water hollow and the lathering bowl portion of scuttle with hot water
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Placed brush in scuttle
  5. Took shower
  6. Dumped scuttle water from both water hollow and lathering bowl area
  7. Refilled water hollow with fresh hot water
  8. Took out brush and rung out excess water
  9. Squeezed a dollop of Old Spice Original Shave into scuttle
  10. Started working the cream in the bowl
  11. Added hot water via finger tips until desired lather is produced
  12. Lathered my face
  13. Cleaned Glasses with some of the lather
  14. Waited a minute for the lather to work its magic
  15. Pass I WTG on R6
  16. Lather
  17. Pass II Lower Jaw to Nose on R5
  18. Lather
  19. Pass III Chin to Ear on R4
  20. Check for pick ups
  21. Lathered areas needed
  22. Pick ups completed with R4
  23. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather
  24. Start cleaning shave gear
  25. Rinse face
  26. Apply alum to Face
  27. Rinse Alum Block
  28. Continue to clean equipment
  29. Rinse off Alum from face
  30. Dry off
  31. Apply Aftershave
  32. Apply Deodorant
Now for my thoughts. Just a heads up. Due to my process of bowl lathering unless the soap/cream is just horrible I always get a great lather. It takes longer, but the control of how much water is used really helps dial in the lather just right. Some soaps/creams take longer than others. So it is hard for me to find a soap/cream I dislike.​
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Pretty fast
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. Good quality
  3. Cushion
    1. Good Cushion
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. Not as slick as you would like
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. Do not run a razor over bare wet skin with no lather
        1. Just a bit of slickness when the skin is moistened
      2. Lather again if you need to go over area
  5. Scent
    1. Faint scent of Old Spice Original
    2. Not strong enough
    3. Pairs well with, you guessed it, Old Spice Aftershave, Cologne, and Deodorant
  6. Rinse
    1. Easily rinsed clean
  7. Post Shave
    1. Not bad
      1. Not drying
      2. Not moisturizing
      3. You will need a postshave treatment after the shave
As far as performance, it is adequate. The only reason to buy this soap is for nostalgia and not popping down $40+ on NOS shave soaps.

At the time of this review for just over $8 from Amazon for a two pack of these it’s okay to buy some. However, you will not be getting a superb cream by any measure. This will be used by me once in awhile when I want an Old Spice shave without breaking into any NOS pucks.

I have bought six tubes of this cream. One I am using and one I have sent to my Uncle as a gift of nostalgia. The other four will probably be given to my brothers and friends also as a gift of nostalgia. If this cream was labeled anything else I’m pretty sure no one would buy it. The nostalgia glasses are strong and thick, but still cause nearsightedness.

Lathering this up reminds me of my grandfather, uncle, and father. My grandfather and uncle had even used the Old Spice powder. A smile on my mother’s face from enjoyment of the smell. Old Spice was the first Aftershave and cologne she bought for my brothers and I. I was eleven when I first started shaving. I hated the shave, but I knew that Old Spice was there waiting. The treat at the end of an ordeal.

When I had joined the Army, Old Spice was my scent. It being the 90s, I was the only one using Old Spice at my age. Worked a little too well with the ladies when I was out clubbing. (I wasn’t a good person at the time)

Fast forward twenty years. My wife loves Old Spice. She has me hoard Old Spice. We have a shelf with Old Spice Mugs, NOS Shave Soap, and bottles of the US and Europen Versions of Old Spice Aftershave. She has me on the look out for the cologne. When she doesn’t think I’m looking she even puts a dab of Old Spice on her neck.

Well, I think that’s enough Old Spice stories for now. I hope everyone has enjoyed my mind wander. Take care and don’t be afraid to post if you have had a different experience with Old Spice Original Shave Cream. Heck, if you have an Old Spice scent story of any kind share with us.​

I tried this recently again.

The scent is only vaguely like Old Spice. It has more of an old world barbershop type scent, heavy on citrus top notes with a musky base, and relatively faint. I found it yucky at times, to be honest, it smells cheap.

Performance was not so great. I don't know if it's the new razor I am using (Bic Hybrid Flex 2), or the cream, but I suspect a bit of both. I just didn't get a very close shave, too much cushion. Not all that slick, and like alot of Indian shave products, you are going to need more skin aftercare because there is none in this product, it's just a relatively harsh soap base. This stuff is acceptable but if you live in the US you are essentially buying an imported product, the price-to-performance is not very good. Stick with Nivea instead.

Anyone tried Stirling Spice? Supposed to be akin to Old Spice in scent.
Meliahog

I have tried the Stirling Spice soap and beard oil. Rumor has it they will stop production of the beard oil after their current batch. I find it to be an excellent (near-perfect) rendition of Shulton Old Spice. It lacks the initial sharp cool note of P&G Old Spice.

I agree that it is average cream. I am in India and I can’t find the original Shulton licensee made cream produced at Goa plant. New Old spice cream is made at a P&G factory which also makes Gillette cream. Honestly I can’t tell Old Spice from Gillette coming out from that factory. They both perform equal and average at best. Luckily I still have a tube of Blue Stratos and recent production aftershave that I break out on a nostalgia day.

I agree that it is average cream. I am in India and I can’t find the original Shulton licensee made cream produced at Goa plant. New Old spice cream is made at a P&G factory which also makes Gillette cream. Honestly I can’t tell Old Spice from Gillette coming out from that factory. They both perform equal and average at best. Luckily I still have a tube of Blue Stratos and recent production aftershave that I break out on a nostalgia day.

I think Godrej Delux is a better shave cream.

I added a few drops of lanolin this morning to my Old Spice lather and it improved it. I used a crazy amount of water, whatever the brush could hold, but I kept working the lather until it mixed through with a synthetic brush.

It's relatively clean rinsing on my razor, which surprises me because the feeling on my face feels like it would be soap scum prone.

In general Godrej creams are better than any other brand cream available here. But my experience with Indian creams is still somewhat limited as I am exclusive soap user for past 10+ years.
Godrej use to make cream with Lanolin but sadly they have discontinued it couple of years ago and I can vouch for that variant being one of top line shave cream and it could hold against any Italian soft croap. Palmolive India too had a lanolin based cream some 25 years ago but today they just don’t have any cream made locally. Same with Nivea India products, their India made cream was much fragrant and slick then the stuff now coming out of Germany. Yardley is now an India owned company but their shaving creams are nothing to speak about. In retrospect I probably made a good decision to switch to shaving soaps.

In general Godrej creams are better than any other brand cream available here. But my experience with Indian creams is still somewhat limited as I am exclusive soap user for past 10+ years.
Godrej use to make cream with Lanolin but sadly they have discontinued it couple of years ago and I can vouch for that variant being one of top line shave cream and it could hold against any Italian soft croap. Palmolive India too had a lanolin based cream some 25 years ago but today they just don’t have any cream made locally. Same with Nivea India products, their India made cream was much fragrant and slick then the stuff now coming out of Germany. Yardley is now an India owned company but their shaving creams are nothing to speak about. In retrospect I probably made a good decision to switch to shaving soaps.

What brand of soaps do you use?

I have used Godrej shave puck for a while (it was the only branded shave puck in those days) but the experience with Godrej puck has been less than sterling. It is kind of drying and moderately slick for me. After about 7-8 months I discovered Tabac and Wool Fat and never looked back.

I have used Godrej shave puck for a while (it was the only branded shave puck in those days) but the experience with Godrej puck has been less than sterling. It is kind of drying and moderately slick for me. After about 7-8 months I discovered Tabac and Wool Fat and never looked back.

I used Godrej in the past, when it was more of a bargain here in the US. It doesn't have the greatest shelf life once it gets wet, but my experience was similar to yours, it's perfectly adequate.

I am in India for work and, while shopping at a local grocer, saw some tubes of Old Spice shaving cream. The shaving cream is made in India by Pritam International PVT. LTD., and marketed by Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care Ltd., India. Being an adventurous lad, I said "What the heck" and bought a tube of the Musk version.

1711337853001.png

The shaving cream comes in a 70 gram (2.5 ounce) plastic squeeze tube. At the local Indian grocer, the 2.5 oz. tube cost 75, which is approximately US$ 0.90. This equals out to an amazing US$0.36 per ounce. By contrast, this same shaving cream goes for US$4.95 at Maggard's, which is still a pretty good US$1.98 per ounce (but nowhere near US$0.36/oz).

I agree with Big D's review on the quality of the shave cream: Nice enough shave cream but not great. The Musk scent was pleasant and subtle. The shave cream gave good cushioning and adequate slickness. The cream washed off cleanly and left an nice post-shave feel. Not bad at all, but nothing really memorable, either.

Would I buy it again? In the US, no. It is not bad, but Cremo is also not bad, has incredible slickness and is available at WalMart, CVS, etc. However, while traveling abroad, it is an option should you run out of shaving cream or just want to try something different. I mean, at US$0.36 / ounce, you can probably afford it.

I am in India for work and, while shopping at a local grocer, saw some tubes of Old Spice shaving cream. The shaving cream is made in India by Pritam International PVT. LTD., and marketed by Procter & Gamble Hygiene and Health Care Ltd., India. Being an adventurous lad, I said "What the heck" and bought a tube of the Musk version.

View attachment 1817859

The shaving cream comes in a 70 gram (2.5 ounce) plastic squeeze tube. At the local Indian grocer, the 2.5 oz. tube cost 75, which is approximately US$ 0.90. This equals out to an amazing US$0.36 per ounce. By contrast, this same shaving cream goes for US$4.95 at Maggard's, which is still a pretty good US$1.98 per ounce (but nowhere near US$0.36/oz).

I agree with Big D's review on the quality of the shave cream: Nice enough shave cream but not great. The Musk scent was pleasant and subtle. The shave cream gave good cushioning and adequate slickness. The cream washed off cleanly and left an nice post-shave feel. Not bad at all, but nothing really memorable, either.

Would I buy it again? In the US, no. It is not bad, but Cremo is also not bad, has incredible slickness and is available at WalMart, CVS, etc. However, while traveling abroad, it is an option should you run out of shaving cream or just want to try something different. I mean, at US$0.36 / ounce, you can probably afford it.
Exactly. Try Ingrams. Really good and Ron says so:c1:

Top Bottom