What's new

Old Spice Original Eau de Toilette

I have been cleaning out a closet in a spare bedroom recently. Tucked away in a small box were a glass bottle of Clubman and Lilac Vegetal, and a small bottle of Old Spice Eau de Toilette. I put the Clubman to use the next day, and though twenty years old or so, it smelled much better than my plastic-bottled bottle. The Veg will likely sit on a shelf, not a fan. Now to the Old Spice EDT...came from a value-price department store, and dated 2002 by the faded price sticker on the box. I applied some today around 9am, and still at 9pm as I write this, I can still smell the base bigtime. The floral top notes are subdued in this version of Old Spice, while the middle of cinnamon, pepper, jasmine and carnation are stout and last a long while. The base kicks in after a couple hours where vanilla, tonka and cedar shine. What stands out at the twelve hour mark is a softened middle still around, with some vanilla sweetness and woody cedar. This is Old Spice on steroids. Just effing WOW! I have included two pics, note the white stopper and that this potion was made in England. What a find.

Attachments

• 20200212_205821.jpg
    20200212_205821.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 20200212_205756.jpg
    20200212_205756.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice, you are fortunate indeed; that is not easy to find and is expensive when it is found. I would love to own such a bottle. 👍

Very nice, you are fortunate indeed; that is not easy to find and is expensive when it is found. I would love to own such a bottle. 👍
I was surprised to say the least when I found this stuff the other day. Yes, fortunate I am! I will ration this, maybe use once a week. It is so strong you only need a dab on your chest and below each ear, and you are set. That said, I would guess a bottle would last perhaps a year being worn daily. This morning I can still smell it on the back of my hand, a bit more powdery than last night, going on 24 hours soon. This stuff is powerful. I have the box somewhere and it looks unique for an Old Spice product. Going to check eBay and Etsy, if I could locate another bottle for $20 or less, I would grab it.

Going to check eBay and Etsy, if I could locate another bottle for $20 or less, I would grab it.

I had thought that P&G took the Shulton name off the bottle in the latter part of the 1990's, but obviously it was still on there in 2002, so they still had to be using the old formula. Today's "Classic" cologne has some staying power in comparison to the "classic" aftershave. I'd like to test it against the "Original" edt that's only sold in Europe today.

Are you sure that the price sticker referred to the year and this wasn't a mid 1990's bottle? Price stickers usually don't have the year on the sticker. Good find. I found a full 1990's Old Spice bottle in a box I had long packed away recently.

Be careful when buying vintage bottles. Splashes can always be partially refilled and I've always found the possibility of "backwash" a turnoff when thinking of buying used splashes.

I had thought that P&G took the Shulton name off the bottle in the latter part of the 1990's, but obviously it was still on there in 2002, so they still had to be using the old formula. Today's "Classic" cologne has some staying power in comparison to the "classic" aftershave. I'd like to test it against the "Original" edt that's only sold in Europe today.

Are you sure that the price sticker referred to the year and this wasn't a mid 1990's bottle? Price stickers usually don't have the year on the sticker. Good find. I found a full 1990's Old Spice bottle in a box I had long packed away recently.

Be careful when buying vintage bottles. Splashes can always be partially refilled and I've always found the possibility of "backwash" a turnoff when thinking of buying used splashes.
A few things...I have not found the box for the bottle shown in the first post, but I recall the price tag having a code giving me the thought it was from 2002. However, I found another bottle of this liquid gold, same closet, different storage box, sometime after my first post, so I won't need to locate another one now. This bottle came from a different retailer, and the price tag is different, and yes, there is a set of numbers (698), which are likely a date code. I politely differ with you, but many retailers used date codes on price tags in the days before Telxon readers and UPC scanners, along with department numbers, lettered cost codes, etc. I should know these things, having spent 46 years in retail. I say the 698 means June, 1998, which would put this bottle in line with your thoughts about the product coming from the mid 90's or so. This bottle boldly shows "Shulton", and Procter and Gamble on it. I have been a big fan of Old Spice for many years, but I admit to not being well versed in the product history. Now that I have retired, sounds like a good subject to learn more about. I have several boxes of grooming items and personal effects from my father, father-in-law, and my wife's uncle that need to be gone through. Certainly some surprises and good finds await me. I am stocked up on both Original and Classic aftershave and cologne which should last many years. I have a collection of about twenty empty aftershave and cologne bottles, also commemorative bottles. I need to make a nice display for these. Old Spice, there just isn't anything better!

Attachments

• 20200313_130508.jpg
    20200313_130508.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200313_130451.jpg
    20200313_130451.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was surprised to say the least when I found this stuff the other day. Yes, fortunate I am! I will ration this, maybe use once a week. It is so strong you only need a dab on your chest and below each ear, and you are set. That said, I would guess a bottle would last perhaps a year being worn daily. This morning I can still smell it on the back of my hand, a bit more powdery than last night, going on 24 hours soon. This stuff is powerful. I have the box somewhere and it looks unique for an Old Spice product. Going to check eBay and Etsy, if I could locate another bottle for $20 or less, I would grab it.
The current is quite good as well.

Love the vintage! New is great, but I love the spiciness and longevity of the vintage cologne. Great find.

Top Bottom