What's new

Old Spice Mug

I have been trying to find out how old this mug is, I havent been able to find any info on it. On the bottom it says: Early American old Spice, Shulton,INC. Clifton, N.J.. Any one have any idea?
Thanks

That would be quite a find if it is indeed an error. From what I understand the QC was extremely tight at the factory.

Hey ,

The mug in your possesion is more than likely late 50 Old Spice Mug. The reason i say that is the nipple notch on the handle makes it pre 60. Also this mug features no rim, which makes it pre 60. Then mugs pre 50 featured a banner below the ship; which, yours does not. Also the bottom of the mug matchs the time.

Now to explain the lack of Old Spice on the sides of the ship; it either wore off or never caught that layer during production. I want to lean and say it was scrapped away, but it would be neat to think its rare :blush:

Enjoy,

LB

Hey ,

The mug in your possesion is more than likely late 50 Old Spice Mug. The reason i say that is the nipple notch on the handle makes it pre 60. Also this mug features no rim, which makes it pre 60. Then mugs pre 50 featured a banner below the ship; which, yours does not. Also the bottom of the mug matchs the time.

Now to explain the lack of Old Spice on the sides of the ship; it either wore off or never caught that layer during production. I want to lean and say it was scrapped away, but it would be neat to think its rare :blush:

Enjoy,

LB

Sure is odd, there is no sign of anything being there or any wear marks. Guess I'll never know for sure

there's also just as likely of a possibility that it's a knock off.

How is that possibility "likely"? Have there been confirmed cases of replica/counterfeit Old Spice mugs in the past? Is there really such a tremendous profit at stake that someone would do this? Is it worth it to carefully mimic the shape and material of the mug, as well as the precise placement of the correct type face and ship graphic? :confused:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...

No, it's not a knock-off.

How is that possibility "likely"? Have there been confirmed cases of replica/counterfeit Old Spice mugs in the past? Is there really such a tremendous profit at stake that someone would do this? Is it worth it to carefully mimic the shape and material of the mug, as well as the precise placement of the correct type face and ship graphic? :confused:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...

No, it's not a knock-off.

I agree that is is not a knock off. It appears to be a genuine Early Glass Mug from the late 50's-early 60's. The mugs from this era and later do not have the problem with fading printing as seen on the earlier glass mugs. Therefore, I would say you definitely have a rare miss-strike, or more precisely a "missed" strike, where the "Old" and "Spice" were omitted. Very, very unique. I am sure it would be of great interest to the right collector, but finding that right collector may be the issue. I would be very patient with it as there is no easy way to determine true value.

I agree that is is not a knock off. It appears to be a genuine Early Glass Mug from the late 50's-early 60's. The mugs from this era and later do not have the problem with fading printing as seen on the earlier glass mugs. Therefore, I would say you definitely have a rare miss-strike, or more precisely a "missed" strike, where the "Old" and "Spice" were omitted. Very, very unique. I am sure it would be of great interest to the right collector, but finding that right collector may be the issue. I would be very patient with it as there is no easy way to determine true value.
Wow, what a find

Wow, what a find

Yeah about this, Is this a mug that was in your family, or did you purchase it?

I ask since I thought about it it could of been a coffee/tea mug at one point in its life. With that said, I know people who run their nails against their mugs/cups intween sips and steaping. And with the cup warm, the layer could have been stripped. (aka some one with a vendetta towards Old Spice typography :lol: )

I agree with AsylumGuido and Tom C aswell about it not being a knock off. Anyone trying to pass Old Spice has too much spare time; but never say never :001_rolle

Either way again, Enjoy and it still is a nice piece,

-LB :tongue_sm

What's on the bottom as far as markings?

Looks like an Early Glass Mug 05. Very odd that it would be so completely missing the words Old Spice.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Are these old spice mugs worth much because I've found one, but they arent exactly the coolest looking things ever.

Early American old Spice, Shulton,INC. Clifton, N.J.. and a 2 near the edge

That's what should be on the bottom of a 05. The 2 is the mold number that it was made on. I doubt it came form the factory missing the Old Spice words. Kind of weird they're missing.

Top Bottom