What's new

Old Spice Mug: Disappointing

As some of you know, the Distraction Texas Shaving Club went on an excursion to Jefferson, TX a couple of days ago to hit the antique stores. One of my goals was to acquire one of those LARGE Old Spice mugs. I found a good deal on one and brought it home.

View attachment 36754

Anyway, I really wanted this mug because I thought it would be the ideal thing to make lather in, but eh, it's just not as ideal as I wanted. While it is great eye candy, it seems the rim is just too narrow to allow for comfortable swirling, even for my small hands.

Now, I'm using it to store my 'razor of the day' on the counter to keep it away from little curious hands who might want to see daddy's razor. Otherwise, it's a complete disappointment.

Thoughts? Comments?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have a similar mug and use it filled with hot water to dip the tips of my brush in on days I do not use the scuttle. Works great for that! Purchased mine for $1.00 at the Hospice Thift Store in Clearwater, Florida.

Maybe it would be better for holding a soap cake instead of using it to build lather in. You could just you it to load your brush, then use the other thing to build lather.

I tend to agree. I have a hand-painted, traditional type shaving mug that I don’t use any more for shaving. I don’t get good brush action because of the height and narrowness of the mug. My shaving “mug” is now a shallow wood bowl (top of bowl is nearly flush with top of soap), a wide-mouth rice bowl, or sometimes one of the shorter Old Spice mugs. These work well to rotate through several types of soaps.

Yeah looks not wide enough and too deep. I think the soup cups are the best bet unless you wanna spend a bit more and get a scuttle.

It looks great for holding a razor, shaving soap sample or puck, soaking the brush before shaving, and bringing a cool & retro look to your den. A soup type bowl or scuttle is better for building lather in, the face works darn good too.

Yeah, it is too deep. Like Deaconkc, mine holds my fountain pens. But the small Old Spice mug works well for me. It has ribs in the bottom that hold the soap in place when you swirl the brush.

Yeah, you do. The larger mugs are going for around 25 (although I found that one for 12), but the smaller shave mugs are much cheaper and can be bought at about 2 to 10 bucks.

That tall mug would work a little better with a puck of soap in the bottom. Then the brush doesn't have to reach so deep into it while you build the lather directly on the soap. Or use it to face lather.

That's a great link.

Appears that my father's mug was a LATE GLASS MUG 02
1964-1978.

Old Spice only appears on the bottom of the mug.

Now I know...

As some of you know, the Distraction Texas Shaving Club went on an excursion to Jefferson, TX a couple of days ago to hit the antique stores. One of my goals was to acquire one of those LARGE Old Spice mugs. ... Anyway, I really wanted this mug because I thought it would be the ideal thing to make lather in, but eh, it's just not as ideal as I wanted. ...
I had a similar experience.
Too wide for storing a puck, too deep to easily develop lather.
I now always face lather, but I do use the mug to hold/heat my Rooney while I shower.
So not a total loss.

If/when I get a scuttle, I'll likely 'Bay the mug.

Top Bottom