What's new

Old Spice is only AS that soothes my skin?

Hello all. This is my first post of bb boards. I have been reading these for months. I first got into shaving again due to change in profession. I have just used a beard trimmer for the stubble look for years. It hasn't been since army reserve years that I would shave regularly. And even then I wouldn't use aftershave.

I have always had sensitive acne prone skin. So I would shy away from shave supplies and instead use acne toners etc.

I no longer have acne, early 30s now, and so I decided to give grocery store shave products a try. I bought a bottle of p&g old spice classic. And omg it felt good. Like a sanitizing sting that finished with a sanitizing sting that finished with a healthy oil to prevent drying. It made sense. Finally, I felt like aftershaves clicked with me. I also felt regret for all those red, dry irritated faced days in the reserves where I put nothing on my face after shaving for fear of irritation.

Old spice sparked a fire in me to smell what all those men of yesteryear and today have been distinguishing themselves through their scent with. I truly am addicted to aftershaves now...

I have tried others, like gillette fresh save and proraso green. But those irritated my skin and make me not want to wear aftershave. I am hesitant of p&g old spice because of its estrogen mimicers ie parabens like propylene glycol. And also because some say it has anise and anise draws spiders and vermin and I have babies that I don't want having spiders drawn to our home.

I also re realized that menthol makes my skin very irritated. I wanted to be able to wear paraben free proraso but it has menthol that gives me red burned rosacea skin for days.

Does anybody know of an aftershave splash with alcohol burn that is natural paraben free and doesn't have menthol that might have the calming benefits of old spice and no anise?

Something about the ingredients in old spice really calms my skin and complexion.

Can't answer the question about a replacement for Old Spice but I use the Fresh Lime version from India nearly every day. It is by far my favorite AS both in scent and skin conditioning affect.

Head to a local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of aloe and glycerin

Couple drops of these will make an amazing difference

proxy.php

BTW, propylene glycol (PG) is not an "estrogen mimicer". It is present in many cosmetics, skin care products, medicines, and even asthma inhalers (as well as most ecigarette juice). Here's a link to a decent article: What’s so terrible about propylene glycol?

Lots of FUD and mis-information out there. There are some people who are allergic to PG, but it isn't very common.

Hello all. This is my first post of bb boards. I have been reading these for months. I first got into shaving again due to change in profession. I have just used a beard trimmer for the stubble look for years. It hasn't been since army reserve years that I would shave regularly. And even then I wouldn't use aftershave.

I have always had sensitive acne prone skin. So I would shy away from shave supplies and instead use acne toners etc.

I no longer have acne, early 30s now, and so I decided to give grocery store shave products a try. I bought a bottle of p&g old spice classic. And omg it felt good. Like a sanitizing sting that finished with a sanitizing sting that finished with a healthy oil to prevent drying. It made sense. Finally, I felt like aftershaves clicked with me. I also felt regret for all those red, dry irritated faced days in the reserves where I put nothing on my face after shaving for fear of irritation.

Old spice sparked a fire in me to smell what all those men of yesteryear and today have been distinguishing themselves through their scent with. I truly am addicted to aftershaves now...

I have tried others, like gillette fresh save and proraso green. But those irritated my skin and make me not want to wear aftershave. I am hesitant of p&g old spice because of its estrogen mimicers ie parabens like propylene glycol. And also because some say it has anise and anise draws spiders and vermin and I have babies that I don't want having spiders drawn to our home.

I also re realized that menthol makes my skin very irritated. I wanted to be able to wear paraben free proraso but it has menthol that gives me red burned rosacea skin for days.

Does anybody know of an aftershave splash with alcohol burn that is natural paraben free and doesn't have menthol that might have the calming benefits of old spice and no anise?

Something about the ingredients in old spice really calms my skin and complexion.
Barrister and Mann Reserve os clone is awesome feeling. So is the classic.

I bet it's the castor oil your skin likes. Look for other AS that lists it as an ingredient. I wonder if just adding some to your other AS might make them usable?

My aftershaves attract miscreants and ne'er-do-wells (the shave den is positively lousy with them). Never had an issue with spiders and vermin though.

I am hesitant of p&g old spice because of its estrogen mimicers ie parabens like propylene glycol. And also because some say it has anise and anise draws spiders and vermin and I have babies that I don't want having spiders drawn to our home.

Glycerin, Propylene glycol & other glycols are used as humectants. They moisturise skin.

Plenty of menthol free aftershaves.

Shulton Old Spice from India is available online. Ebay, Amazon, Etsy etc.

Last edited:
I suggest Bay Rum. Dominica is now unavailable but the Grand Bay Rum is just as good or better. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed by the skin benefits.

Chris

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I know you did not have luck with the Prorazo green but I have the Proraso red Sandal wood and it has a great post shave. It contains Shea butter and it seems to moisture the skin and has a great scent also.
proxy.php

I know you did not have luck with the Prorazo green but I have the Proraso red Sandal wood and it has a great post shave. It contains Shea butter and it seems to moisture the skin and has a great scent also.

I picked up "Red" this Jan, and have been very happy. Also really enjoy Speick if I've had a rough shave. My skin is not super sensitive. You might also want to sample the Captain's Choice line.

Here is what Old Spice smells like:

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble (originally by Shulton) (1937) — Basenotes.net

By that, it doesn't have anise. However, Brut does, and while I notice that with Brut, Old Spice is my go-to AS, and it doesn't have that anise smell to me.

Fragrance sensitivity is a ticklish thing. There's some that I find irritating and cannot use. That's going to vary from person to person, so what one fellow might find perfect, another might find it gives him problems.

I reach for the menthol AS (Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Brisk) when I have an irritating shave, but find the menthol problematic at the Brisk level.

I've notice OS isn't as drying as other AS I've tried (Aqua Velva, Brisk, Brut, Clubman, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, witch hazel), and it may be due to the hydrogenated caster oil.

While I've noticed fragrances can attract flying insects, don't know about spiders. The insect factor is why, when I do a lot of outdoor work, I often reach for the witch hazel. For all I know, anise may attract vermin - but since Brut has anise, what doe that say about those of us who wore it?

Anise oil has historically been used to kill lice .
It is known to attract fish, dogs & (maybe) bees. Don't know about spiders.

If the OP is worried about attracting insects, he could use an unscented aftershave.
It's also quite easy to make ones own unscented aftershave.
Just add a few drops of glycerin to alcohol or witch hazel. Everclear or a good rubbing alcohol should work.

Thanks everybody. I will definitely take your advice and use it. I have received a lot of aftershaves and will be trying them.

Old Spice fresh lime has become my daily go-to. As much as I would love to do rotations, I just can't pass it up after a shave. It's certainly cheap (I order mine online from India) and nothing dramatic but I just get the best skin conditioning results from it.

proxy.php

Top Bottom