What's new

Old Spice Dupes

I was looking for the class on Old Spice dupes, but I must have made a wrong turn and walked into the chemistry lab!

Lol sorry for the thread hijack. The topic reminds me that when P&G reissued the plastic bottle for OS back in the 2000s, they labored intensively to find a specific type of plastic that wouldn't effect the fragrance. I think they did a good job in that regard (clones may not be as lucky).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Lol sorry for the thread hijack. The topic reminds me that when P&G reissued the plastic bottle for OS back in the 2000s, they labored intensively to find a specific type of plastic that wouldn't effect the fragrance. I think they did a good job in that regard (clones may not be as lucky).

Or... just as the clones today, the plastic never effected the fragrance.

Just the dry down... :)

Interesting, all of the vintage Shulton Old Spice I have ever purchased, which is a lot. Has always been in glass bottles.

Or... just as the clones today, the plastic never effected the fragrance.

Just the dry down... :)

Interesting, all of the vintage Shulton Old Spice I have ever purchased, which is a lot. Has always been in glass bottles.

Shulton did issue travel bottles in plastic back in the 1950s/60s if I'm not mistaken. You can see them on that Old Spice Collectibles site, which is pretty awesome.

Shulton did issue travel bottles in plastic back in the 1950s/60s if I'm not mistaken. You can see them on that Old Spice Collectibles site, which is pretty awesome.
I remember the small plastic travel bottles from the late 1960's. They came in a set of four (or five): after-shave, cologne, balm and talc (poss. Lime AS), if I recall.

Perfumers routinely have to re-formulate for plastic containers. It's a necessity.
When Pinaud's parent company, American Industrial Industries, switched to plastic bottles in the 1980's, the entire Clubman line was re-formulated, because some ingredients would not remain stable, i.e. reacted with the plastic. It was at this time that some gents complained of the change, because the scents were no longer exactly the same. Usually synthetics were substituted and scent was deemed inferior, and especially weaker, or not as rich. There are still some gents around to-day that fondly remember (and swear by) the original formulations.
Despite that re-formulation effort, the main complaint to-day is that the scents seem to sour in plastic bottles and thus benefit from decanting into glass vessels.

I’ve decanted 4 different Clubman varieties. I detect the least amount of change in the decanted Lime Sec. The character of the decanted Vanilla definitely changes to a cleaner scent, and the basic Clubman gets very clean and powdery when decanted.

the Special Reserve changes the most. decanted, it smells like it should cost $500 a bottle. Miraculous!

I still retain some of each in the plastic bottles, partly because I like the way they smell too, but mostly due to my OCD.

Is that Vi-Jon still a thing? I thought it was discontinued? I’m ok with the modern OS, and will probably buy some unless a compelling substitute emerges.

The only Vi-Jon after shave that I know that is still currently in production is the CVS Aqua Velva knock off. But it is a rip off 5 bucks for a 5 oz knock off you can pay 4.77 at Wal-Mart for the real thing and 7 oz at that.

The only Vi-Jon after shave that I know that is still currently in production is the CVS Aqua Velva knock off. But it is a rip off 5 bucks for a 5 oz knock off you can pay 4.77 at Wal-Mart for the real thing and 7 oz at that.

Might be regionally distributed because in these parts I only see the real thing and Brut on CVS shelves.

Also sold in Riteaid under their Daylogic brand. Bought it, smells like AV, but havent used it yet.

So B&M Spice, PAA Cold Spice, Stirling Spice. Did I miss any? Any more and any consensus which is most authentic?
No longer produced, but Avon Brisk Spice is pretty close, and can be had for less than vintage Shulton.

I actually like Avon Spicy better even though it is less like Shulton. Lustray Spice smells very similar to this and is a bargain.

So B&M Spice, PAA Cold Spice, Stirling Spice. Did I miss any? Any more and any consensus which is most authentic?
To my nose, which may be different from others’: PAA is closest, B&M is like Old Spice on steroids (but still really good), and Stirling Spice, while good, was not as good as the others. I’d say get some samples :a29:

Top Bottom