What's new

Old Spice Dupes

What are they? And are they really worth the premium over the current OS?

I know of PAA Cold Spices and Stirling Spice which I haven’t tried. I know of B&M Spice, which I have tried, and while pleasing, doesn’t conjure up the special memory of how OS smelled in my youth (70’s and 80’s).

But what else is out there? And is it really worth the effort and extra $?

I used OS long ago and I agree, it just doesn't seem the same now - it's almost like water. Pretty disappointing and a waste of 6 or so bucks. Not sure what to suggest as a replacement, but some swear by the ultra cheapo V-Jon clone that some drugstores and big box stores have. Artisan-wise, I haven't tried anything.

Is that Vi-Jon still a thing? I thought it was discontinued? I’m ok with the modern OS, and will probably buy some unless a compelling substitute emerges.

You listed the ones I am aware of. I have tried all three...I prefer PAA Cold Spices. Yes...pricey, but I find PAA to be of excellent quality and scents.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am still one of those who swear by the original vintage version of Shulton Old Spice.

Yes, it’s hard to find, but still can be found if one wants to look for it. Once found, it can be expensive, but no more expensive then some of the Artisan alternatives that some in this thread just said, “but it isn’t the same.”

I have a lifetime supply of vintage Shulton Old Spice I have collected thru the years. My motto is, if it’s worth remembering and talking about, it’s worth seeking out, finding and obtaining.

Vintage Shulton Old Spice is absolutely, awesome stuff and can be still found. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

:)

I’ve been thinking of trying to find a vintage Old Spice but I feel like I don’t know enough to make sure I get the real thing and not get scammed on ebay.

In the meantime, I have, and love Cold Spices. It’s so good, but it has menthol in it. I like menthol, but if you don’t, it’s just something to keep in mind.

Lustray has a scent called Spice, that reminds me of OS. Not 100%, but it’s in the same ball park. I like it a lot and it can be found pretty cheap.

I also have the current OS, splash and spray, and although they don’t last forever, they still smell pretty great to me.

Vintage Avon Brisk Spice can be had for about the same price of current OS.
The scent is very close to that of vintage OS.

Also, there is Avon Spicy, which smells like OS without the florals.
Where do you get vintage Avon’s? There are a bunch I’d like to try!

Where do you get vintage Avon’s? There are a bunch I’d like to try!

The cheapest sources would be thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales, etc.

There are always many listed on the mega-huge auction site - some at reasonable prices (patience is a virtue) :yesnod:
(make sure they are selling the juice, not just the decanter)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The cheapest sources would be thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales, etc.

There are always many listed on the mega-huge auction site - some at reasonable prices (patience is a virtue) :yesnod:
(make sure they are selling the juice, not just the decanter)

And to add to this, one's first vintage Shulton Old Spice purchase, should be NOS (new old stock) which has never been opened. This way, 1. You can make sure it's the real stuff, and 2. Have some real stuff to be able to compare to others. While I found most of my vintage stock in antique stores a decade ago when I came here, I have gotten some from ebay, etsy and others. You will start getting the knack of how, where and what to look for as you go.

And to add to this, one's first vintage Shulton Old Spice purchase, should be NOS (new old stock) which has never been opened. This way, 1. You can make sure it's the real stuff, and 2. Have some real stuff to be able to compare to others. While I found most of my vintage stock in antique stores a decade ago when I came here, I have gotten some from ebay, etsy and others. You will start getting the knack of how, where and what to look for as you go.
Thanks!

I’m gonna start looking. Loved Old Spice back in the day. Not sure the modern blend is as good, but it could be identical For all I know.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me it has to say Shulton on the bottle and if it does not then I am not interested. The AS is easy and cheap to find on the bay in the UK and almost all that I have bought smelled right to me. The odd one that I thought had been refilled with new juice I simply passed on or used it in a reed diffuser. Ths Shulton Old Spice Cologne is a lot more expensive.

Everyone's nose is different, and I don't have any old or new Old Spice to compare to, but to me B&M is like OS on Steroids...the scent is much stronger and "pops" more. Stirling Spice is more spice "cakey" to me, and PAA is the most mellow of the bunch, which I believe is what I remember OS being. It does add a dose of menthol that you can feel, so that might turn some off.

But like others have said, it you want the one and only original, it can be found with some persistence.

I really liked the original OS Fresh scent...that one is even harder to find, and to me the 'bay alternatives look OFF in color, but that is probably just time and light.

kwickone out!

Top Bottom