What's new

Old Spice Cologne vs. Aftershave

Does Old Spice cologne tend to be stronger than the aftershave in terms of the scent?

It's been a while since I sampled either P&G's or Shultons Old Spice AS. All I'm familiar with is the cologne.

Does Old Spice cologne tend to be stronger than the aftershave in terms of the scent?

It's been a while since I sampled either P&G's or Shultons Old Spice AS. All I'm familiar with is the cologne.
The cologne is definitely much longer lasting and quite a bit stronger! But ofcourse you have huge differences in the vintage, classic (current take on vintage cologne/aftershave) and modern scents.

First you get the Aftershave. Then you put on the cologne. Then your wife tells you how much she loves you. Win all the way around.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
First you get the Aftershave. Then you put on the cologne. Then your wife tells you how much she loves you. Win all the way around.
Or, the War Department tells me I smell like an old man and makes me sleep on the couch! Lol, she does like old Avon Spicy though!

I did a blotter test, comparing the old vintage Shulton stuff vs. modern cologne (all I have, apparrently Old Spice as a cologne was never as popular as aftershave), and it does seem like the AS is weaker, which is probably as it should be. I'm guessing it's 2/3 to 1/2 strength.

I recall the Original cologne had a heavy vanilla ending. And yes it was stronger than aftershave. The Classic cologne seems more.cinnamon and pepper at the end than the aftershave. And to me the Classic cologne doesn't last much longer than the aftershave. A trainload of thoughts, memories and other musings have been voiced on this board about the virtues of Old Spice and all its' forms. Regardless, the stuff is iconic, and no doubt holds a special place in the hearts and memories of virtually every man age say 40 and up. No aftershave will ever surpass it. Nothing is even close. Nothing.

Or, the War Department tells me I smell like an old man and makes me sleep on the couch! Lol, she does like old Avon Spicy though!

Similar situation here and I've come to realize that is because Old Spice has powdery floral notes to it and Avon Spice is not like that at all. It's just straight up spice notes.

It's the powder notes that make scents smell "old" to people under 60.

I recall the Original cologne had a heavy vanilla ending. And yes it was stronger than aftershave. The Classic cologne seems more.cinnamon and pepper at the end than the aftershave. And to me the Classic cologne doesn't last much longer than the aftershave. A trainload of thoughts, memories and other musings have been voiced on this board about the virtues of Old Spice and all its' forms. Regardless, the stuff is iconic, and no doubt holds a special place in the hearts and memories of virtually every man age say 40 and up. No aftershave will ever surpass it. Nothing is even close. Nothing.

40? I'm almost 50 and OS was hopelessly out of date even when I was a teenager.

You know, I first entered 50 in my reply, and I thought of all the numerous 20 and 30 somethings that bought Old Spice aftershave in the store I worked in about fifteen years ago. Then I changed it to 40. I would argue that most 40 year old men that shave have a bottle in their shaving supplies. I have seven nephews all under 40, and I have noticed Old Spice being worn at times by a few of them. So no, it is not out of favor yet, but dying off is true.

FarmerTan

You know, I first entered 50 in my reply, and I thought of all the numerous 20 and 30 somethings that bought Old Spice aftershave in the store I worked in about fifteen years ago. Then I changed it to 40. I would argue that most 40 year old men that shave have a bottle in their shaving supplies. I have seven nephews all under 40, and I have noticed Old Spice being worn at times by a few of them. So no, it is not out of favor yet, but dying off is true.
True, anyone close to my son's age has to punch you in the nose with Axe!

Similar situation here and I've come to realize that is because Old Spice has powdery floral notes to it and Avon Spice is not like that at all. It's just straight up spice notes.

It's the powder notes that make scents smell "old" to people under 60.

Carnations don't seem very popular in fragrances now days, especially men's fragrances.

The age thing is curious. A (very lovely) 27 year old co-worker has complimented me on several occasions when I was wearing Old Spice. She didn't know what it was the first time, she just thought it smelled good. I'm ok with that.

FarmerTan

The age thing is curious. A (very lovely) 27 year old co-worker has complimented me on several occasions when I was wearing Old Spice. She didn't know what it was the first time, she just thought it smelled good. I'm ok with that.
You need to ask her out!

I came across this thread and related Old Spice AS threads yesterday and read with interest. A few weeks ago I splashed on some OS that I've had for ages after a shave not being aware of all the changes that had occurred over the years. Man, it lasted well into the afternoon. Turns out it's a bottle of vintage cologne from Shulton that I probably bought in the 70's. It's going into my rotation again but I'm checking out some of the Original AS to buy.

Top Bottom