What's new

Old Spice Classic aftershave discontinued??

Greetings gentlemen,

I was in one of my local supermarkets last week and I saw they had the Old Spice aftershave in "close out" reduced price for only $3.99 per bottle, and they also had some bottles without or damaged packaging for only $99 cents. Of course I took advantage and I grabbed them all :biggrin1:
That been said, today I was to another supermarket chain and I also saw they have the Old Spice at close out price. I know the manager at this particular supermarket and he was passing by and I asked him why they will no longer have Old Spice aftershave for sale.?? And he told me that the product has been discontinued by the company. No longer manufactured. :w00t:

If it's true... it's a real tragedy really.!!! Even if the scent it's not the same like it used to be back in the days... still a really good aftershave that will be missed in my Den.

20200125_211015.jpg
20200124_122322.jpg

I find it hard to believe. I will ask the missus, since she runs the health and beauty area at the local Walmart. I know she did a recent reset of the shaving category. If the Old Spice Classic is there after the reset, then it is doubtful that Procter and Gamble dropped it. I picked up a bottle of Cool Wave about a month ago, and there must have been about a dozen bottles of Old Spice aftershave next to it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
There should be enough of the modern stuff to get cheap back stock for years to come. Even if they do discontinue. I have had a lifetime supply of vintage Shulton for a decade now; and can't tell if I have even made a dent in the amount, due to rotating it with 150 other aftershaves. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t believe it but I will check it out. It is one of the few every seller has all the time. And as far as the scent goes, I haven’t noticed a difference in the past 50+ years I’ve been using it. I’m beginning to believe there are imaginations going off the rails. Changes in formulation perhaps but scent has not changed

Two Walmarts in my town, I frequent both; each store had several bottles in stock. Two local supermarkets, both had a few in stock. The local Walgreens, both stores had two in stock. And online vendors galore sell it individually or packed in multiples. I find it hard to believe P&G would drop a product that a good percentage of men in this country over the age of 50 have and use from time to time. But you never know, a company (P&G) that is warped enough to run anti-male ads could also be stupid enough to drop an iconic product such as Old Spice aftershave. I am like another previous poster, I don't buy P&G anything anymore, except for Old Spice aftershave. Their ant-male blitz last year was the last straw for me. And I think they pissed off millions of middle-aged to senior-aged men in this country with their PC garbage ad campaign. It no doubt hurt their sales of Old Spice and Gillette products.

Last edited:
Two Walmarts in my town, I frequent both; each store had several bottles in stock. Two local supermarkets, both had a few in stock. The local Walgreens, both stores had two in stock. And online vendors galore sell it individually or packed in multiples. I find it hard to believe P&G would drop a product that a good percentage of men in this country over the age of 50 have and use from time to time. But you never know, a company (P&G) that is warped enough to run anti-male ads could also be stupid enough to drop an iconic product such as Old Spice aftershave. I am like another previous poster, I don't buy P&G anything anymore, except for Old Spice aftershave. Their ant-male blitz last year was the last straw for me. And I think they pissed off millions of middle-aged to senior-aged men in this country with their PC garbage ad campaign. It no doubt hurt their sales of Old Spice and Gillette products.

My ‘solution’ is to use my old stock or to purchase vintage OS! :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

Nostalgia plays a huge part in why I enjoy OS! It made little sense (to me at least) for P&G to preach PC to the core customers who supported their brands for decades! But what do I know??

My ‘solution’ is to use my old stock or to purchase vintage OS! :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:

Nostalgia plays a huge part in why I enjoy OS! It made little sense (to me at least) for P&G to preach PC to the core customers who supported their brands for decades! But what do I know??

Multinational publicly traded consumer products makers are not interested in business from middle class men over 45. And I’m one of those too. No sales growth there. If you keep buying their older stuff, fine; if you don't, the Aqua Velva is in the next slot on the shelf.

It's now been ten full years that OS has been market positioned as a product for young men with the multitude of scents in a multitude of products - none of which is aftershave or cologne. That's not an accident. They aren’t even on the consumer website anymore.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Old Spice was sitting on the CVS shelf today. Very much NOT on sale.
Same here at Meijer. Their knock off of it was on "clearance" for $4.24, down from $4.74, lol ! No thanks. But I will be keeping an eye out for the real OS to go on sale, and hopefully be able to slip some past the War Department...

I called the Old Spice consumer site today and questioned the rep about Old Spice aftershave, and of rumors online of it being dropped by P&G. The response I got was the product remains one of Old Spice brand's best sellers and should be available nationwide at supermarkets, drug stores and numerous online vendors. The rep stated she had no information from P&G of its discontinuance, finding it hard to believe the rumor, because they sell too much of it to drop it. So for now, Old Spice aftershave lives on!

Multinational publicly traded consumer products makers are not interested in business from middle class men over 45. And I’m one of those too. No sales growth there. If you keep buying their older stuff, fine; if you don't, the Aqua Velva is in the next slot on the shelf.

It's now been ten full years that OS has been market positioned as a product for young men with the multitude of scents in a multitude of products - none of which is aftershave or cologne. That's not an accident. They aren’t even on the consumer website anymore.
The Old Spice Classic aftershave and cologne, along with other shaving items, are located at P&G's professional website, in multipacks only, apparently for retailers and online vendors. Single bottles can be bought through numerous online vendors, like Amazon, Walmart.com, eBay, etc.

Same here at Meijer. Their knock off of it was on "clearance" for $4.24, down from $4.74, lol ! No thanks. But I will be keeping an eye out for the real OS to go on sale, and hopefully be able to slip some past the War Department...
Have you tried the Meijer knock-off? If it's the same one that was talked about a few years ago on the forums, that particular knock-off has become almost impossible to find and/or discontinued. It was very sought after as a cheaper alternative to real Old Spice, and some thought it smelled just as good or better than the current real thing.

It was made by Vi-Jon and also sold at Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Fred's, ShopRite, and CVS. It was already disappearing from shelves just as i started lurking the forums so I never got a chance to try it or stock up.

You may have found the last remaining bottles of it, might want to go back and buy all of them after you read these threads... I've seen posts here and on some other forums where apparently it was so good that some guys were buying them and refilling their empty vintage shulton bottles with them.

Thread links with photos -

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have you tried the Meijer knock-off? If it's the same one that was talked about a few years ago on the forums, that particular knock-off has become almost impossible to find and/or discontinued. It was very sought after as a cheaper alternative to real Old Spice, and some thought it smelled just as good or better than the current real thing.

It was made by Vi-Jon and also sold at Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Fred's, ShopRite, and CVS. It was already disappearing from shelves just as i started lurking the forums so I never got a chance to try it or stock up.

You may have found the last remaining bottles of it, might want to go back and buy all of them after you read these threads... I've seen posts here and on some other forums where apparently it was so good that some guys were buying them and refilling their empty vintage shulton bottles with them.

Thread links with photos -

Yeah, I'm 99% certain that it's ViJohn. I have some of the ViJohn I got for 90¢ on clearance at some kinda Dollar Store about 2 or 3 years ago. I actually prefer it to the OS stuff of today. It doesn't last as long, but smells better, much like vintage Avon Spicy does.

As a matter of fact, if you can get your hands on some of the vintage Avon Spicy, do it. It's my favorite spiced scent.

An off the wall note: I mixed about 20ish drops of Bergamot essential oil into the ViJohn, and my wife even likes it, lol. It's my favorite summer scent.

Sorry for the ramblings, but I'm old and can't help myself! Ha.

I sure hope that the customer rep had the right information and Old Spice will not be discontinued. I love that stuff and have been using it for decades.

I have the vintage OS and the modern OS and I enjoy both. The difference in scent -- to my nose -- is minimal to non-existent. I do hope they dont discontinue the modern OS. It's a classic.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have the vintage OS and the modern OS and I enjoy both. The difference in scent -- to my nose -- is minimal to non-existent. I do hope they dont discontinue the modern OS. It's a classic.
I doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime, however, I’m 70 years old. I do recall it was a bit stronger scent in the past but the scent is otherwise exactly the same. I could be wrong on that point but it would be a logical adjustment because of complaints in offices and public places. In any case, I’m more than satisfied with today’s iteration and use it daily. It is very rare that I would use anything else. I have used the same cologne since 1972 and Old Spice since 1965.

When I was much younger, I used the real Old Spice made by Shulton before P&G became involved.

I understand that Rubicon makes Old Spice in India that is closer to the original formulation than the P&G produced product. Some also say that the generic fragrance produced for private brands is better than the P&G product. I do have a bottle of Meijer private branded Old Spice and it does closely match my scent memory of the original Shulton product. Unfortunately, I do not have a bottle of the original product for comparison.

Top Bottom