What's new

Old Spice & Brut Aftershaves?

Do any of you guys use either of the products?
Iam looking for a decent aftershave with a decent scent.
I have tried Nivea Balms etc but they always feel a little sticky once applied (yet to try my expensive Taylors aftershave).
Need something that tones my skin after shaving, closes my pours and slightly moisturises.
I shave everyday and work in an office and I just cant afford to spend a fortune on aftershave that I use everyday.
I can pick up a bottle of Old Spice / Brut for around £5 which is around $8 - $9 I think.
This would be perfect everyday aftershave for during the week (assuming it does a decent job) and I can use my more expensive aftershaves at the weekends or when going out.
My other concern is that I am in my early to mid twenties and Old Spice and Brut seems to be associated with old men.
Would these suit someone who is in their early to mid twenties?
Thanks in advance guys!

Funny you bring this up... although not aftershave, I picked up some Brut anti-persperant/deodorant yesterday. Never in my life did I think I'd enjoy/wear this stuff and wondered the same thing, am I getting old or what?!

If you like it, go for it.

(I'm 37 by the way.)

If you want something a bit "younger" you could try Old Spice Smooth Blast. It smells a bit like Polo Sport to my nose and has the qualities you're looking for.

Of course, there is always Aqua Velva if you can find it in your area.

Yeah I might have a look at Aqua Vela as I see a lot of guys rate it highly here.
However it is not as readily available here as Old Spice and Brut.
Guess what I really want to know is Old Spice & Brut good for toning and do they moisturise in any way at all?

Do any of you guys use either of the products?
Iam looking for a decent aftershave with a decent scent.
I have tried Nivea Balms etc but they always feel a little sticky once applied (yet to try my expensive Taylors aftershave).
Need something that tones my skin after shaving, closes my pours and slightly moisturises.
I shave everyday and work in an office and I just cant afford to spend a fortune on aftershave that I use everyday.
I can pick up a bottle of Old Spice / Brut for around £5 which is around $8 - $9 I think.
This would be perfect everyday aftershave for during the week (assuming it does a decent job) and I can use my more expensive aftershaves at the weekends or when going out.
My other concern is that I am in my early to mid twenties and Old Spice and Brut seems to be associated with old men.
Thanks in advance guys!

I PIFed both these products just the other day, and mailed them to Zappa99 this morning! I've been exploring some of the 'old school' aftershaves recently, and can confirm they are both excellent! I've finally settled with Denim! Old men? Nonsense! Those two will smell great on anyone! Who exactly goes around sniffing old men, anyway?!!

I would recommend Old Spice as an everyday aftershave. It's fresh and clean and is a good toner. It's not moisturising tho'. So you could go over the top with a scentless moisturiser. King of Shaves is cheaper in Superdrug than Boots.

The Old Spice scent matures throught the day and eventually wears off. Try a little at first, if you have had a rough shave it will sting. I have not tried the sensitive or sports versions of Old Spice but fully intend to.

Brut has an OK scent that is really old skool or old man smell :eek: But its overpowering and clings onto clothes, I tired of Brut very quickly. (I should say that I have only tried the Brut anti perspirant, but that was enough for me).

Finally, I may smell like my Dad, but hey. I am a Dad now. And, if in future years, my kids get a whiff of Old Spice and are reminded of me, then that's no bad thing. IMO

Noticed that Old Spice has a sensitive aftershave with less alchohol.
Would that not mean that it would be less effective as a toner?

Yeah my Dad used to wear Old Spice and can remember my Grandad wearing Brut.

So you think Old Spice is the way to go?

I always use a moisturiser after shaving so could apply this to my face and neck after splashing with Old Spice.

You might want to try the Brut Aftershave Balm. It is a phenomenal moisturizer..in fact it is ridiculous how good the product is given the price and the brand name. Dries down to a very smooth finish. It is $5.99 for a tube. As for the scent, it is the normal Brut fragrance, but it is on the light side ...gone by midday. A lot of people comment on how good it smells... they don't seem to know it's Brut!

I am embarrassed to admit I use it (it was one of my first, totally overdone, colognes as an adolescent in the 1970s), but hey... the product is a winner.

Cheers!

Jim

Id quite like to try Pinaud Clubman or Aqua Velva however you struggle to get a hold of these in the UK unless ordering of EBay.
Old Spice & Brut are available everywhere.
The other cheapo that is available evreywhere is Lynx (think its called Axe in the US). Dont fancy that stuff though as the fragrances smell very cheap.

Oh yea go with Aqua velva classic $5 and musk $2.50, if possible. Follow up with Brut Aftershave Balm $6. They both smell masculine and manly. Hey I like to smell a bit mature. Also spray on some EDT and that will overpower.

+1 on the Brut push pop deodorant (non antiperspirant) $2.25. It goes on slick smells decent and now I even caught my wife using it!

I thought the Brut ASB was discontinued (though remaining stock is still available)?

I like the Brut and Old Spice, but I prefer the old Shulton brand Old Spice. Clubman will seem very similar to Brut when you first start using it, but the longer you use it the more prominent the differences become. Eventually I think you would greatly prefer the clubman.

And honestly, as much as I like all of that, I find myself reaching for the Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue more than anything else. Besides the stuff that the others have, it also has menthol to cool your skin and glycerin to moisturize. Some might not like the smell at first, especially sniffing the bottle (it changes on you), but the fragrance really grows on you after awhile, but really I think AV's main strength is the effectiveness more than the fragrance. Worth getting on ebay if you have to.

And finally, read the front page article on Spieck. More expensive than these I know, but the description sounds great and it seems to be very popular. I'm very intrigued to try some when I can afford another purchase.

Try your local boots, they have their own range of aftershave and aftershave balm. Its called freshwood. The aftershave is quite nice and very moisturising on its own. The aftershave balm has the freshwood scent and is best used on its own as when combined with the aftershave is a little overpowering. The balm is very good. The scent is quite masculine and spicy and not at all sharp. Both retail for approx £2.50 each.
Superdrug also have their own range but, as yet, i have no experience of these. Hope this helps :smile:.

I have to throw in the Master Bay Rum.This stuff is great and only 7$ for a big *** bottle. but i don't know how easy it is to find in your neck of the woods.

I'm in my mid-20's and I use Old Spice Original very often. I use the Whitewater or whatever it's called occaisionally. Both are good. I don't find them especially drying, and i like the scents. In the UK, it's quite difficult to find an alcohol splash that's cheap enough to use everyday and is actually good.
I prefer Musgo or Proraso, but then you're into internet territory, really.

I've not caught a whiff of Brut for about 20 years, so i have no idea what it smells like, really. Might get some this weekend and see how it fares.

You might want to try the Brut Aftershave Balm. It is a phenomenal moisturizer..in fact it is ridiculous how good the product is given the price and the brand name. Dries down to a very smooth finish. It is $5.99 for a tube. As for the scent, it is the normal Brut fragrance, but it is on the light side ...gone by midday. A lot of people comment on how good it smells... they don't seem to know it's Brut!

+ "a lot" on the Brut ASB. Better as a balm, IMO, than Nivea or Neutrogena, has the "great smell of Brut," but it doesn't last all day - just enough to enjoy it. Contains Aloe and Shea Butter, IIRC.

Both Brut and Old Spice AS aren't very moisturizing, but will give that ol' alcohol zing and last long enough to enjoy.

Old Spice is my current "go to," with Brut and Spieck being my seconds.

For sure pick up the Old Spice. Most like it. If you can get it try the AV and Pinaud Clubman. I like all three of these mentioned. As for Brut, I think it's anything but an 'old man' scent. In fact the only people I saw wearing it was us guys back in high school (in the 80's). Somebody else mentioned it was their scent back in the 70's. So I think it's actually a young buck scent. I purchased a bottle a few months back just for nostalgia sake. Used it once and gave it to my son. Very strong and pungent. It's one of those that's easy to go overboard with. Then you'd be "that guy" who stanks up the whole office! Not a terrible scent at all; just kind of overpowering IMO. Any AS's this cheap deserve a try though. You might like it and you might not, but you're not out much cash either way.

Ok guys so went into Boots today and bough a bottle of Old Spice Original for £8 (not as cheap as I thought but I think its available cheaper in Asda).
Brut was only £5 but after sampling both scents, I decided to go with the Old Spice.
Had my first shave with it tonight and MAN!!! That stuff stings going on. After about 5 seconds it dyed down and I was left with a clean, fresh and crisp feeling face. Scent wa great and I felt great. Applied some scentless moisturiser and I was all good.
Defo going to use this as an everyday aftershave for the time being. Desperate to give the sensitive and whitewater versions a shot. Anyone tried these?

I don't associate Old Spice with old men... more like maturity. That's actually why I prefer it. I'm 19 and everyone at college here has some kind of "sexyman" style cologne that seems like they're begging women to sniff them. A scent like Old Spice sets you apart from the rest of the pack, and gives of a sense that you're unique and mature (two traits lacking in most college guys). I have yet to try any Brut product besides the deodorant, although I wasn't too big on that scent.

Ok guys so went into Boots today and bough a bottle of Old Spice Original for £8 (not as cheap as I thought but I think its available cheaper in Asda).
Brut was only £5 but after sampling both scents, I decided to go with the Old Spice.
Had my first shave with it tonight and MAN!!! That stuff stings going on. After about 5 seconds it dyed down and I was left with a clean, fresh and crisp feeling face. Scent wa great and I felt great. Applied some scentless moisturiser and I was all good.
Defo going to use this as an everyday aftershave for the time being. Desperate to give the sensitive and whitewater versions a shot. Anyone tried these?

Here's how I minimise stinging:

• Don't be too aggressive in your shave. ie - know when to stop.
    Don't skimp on the cold water splash. Make it cold water spashes (and lots of them).
    After patting your face dry, give yourself a few seconds before carrying on with the AS, to let your face calm down a bit.
    And remember: Less is more!

I am also looking forward to trying the sensitive and whitewater versions, and the superdrug offerings, and Tabac ect ect......:blush:

Top Bottom