What's new

Old Spice Bottles question

Just wonering if I am the only one that noticed anything different about the old spice bottles.

I purchased an old spice bottle about 5 months ago and it had the regular large ship on the front with large writing of "Original" and below that "After Shave". I just bought a new bottle today and the ship is now fairly small and in color (about an inch by an inch size) and the writing is even smaller and there's either french or spanish or some foriegn language saying after shave on the front also.

I called them to ask (I know...petty) about it and they said the bottle design change was done in 1994. They couldn't explain why the bottle I bought 5 months ago had the "old" design on it or why the smaller bottle I checked after noticing this, was also the "old" style design, but the large bottle I just bought was different.

Not having used it yet, I can't tell if it's the same, or as good or what. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this. I passed along that I didn't at all like the "new" design (for what that's worth). It looks like another attempt by a parent company to "upgrade" the product in little ways to "appeal" to a younger generation. FWIW, I wish they'd leave well established products alone and quit trying to "improve" them.

Anyone?

John

Funny that you posted this I was just at the drug store waiting for a prescription to be filled and I wandered over to the "shave'' section I opened a box of the Old Spice and gave it a sniff , I have not really smelled it in many years- the scent was very soft and powdery to me not the sharp and clean and warm scent I remember.:mad: :mad:

That's part of the reason I posted and said...Not having used it yet, I can't tell if it's the same, or as good or what.

I noticed the same thing. It just didn't seem as "strong" to me. It seemed as you said, weak and powdery. I don't want to start any rumors because, they'd be knocked down, but it just didn't smell the same to me. If they'll change the bottles logo like that after 70 years, what's to say they wouldn't "skimp" a little to save a lot. It wouldn't have to be much.

And, I'm sorry, the foriegn language on the front of the bottle now, is just too much. I feel like I lost a friend. :confused:

John

jtmo3 said:
And, I'm sorry, the foriegn language on the front of the bottle now, is just too much. I feel like I lost a friend. :confused:

John

I work at a grocery store and every time we get a delivery there are more products that have other languages on them. Primarily Spanish but also some French and German.

I do not think it will be long until every package in the States is printed in more than one language. The companies are trying to reach out to all of the possible consumers.

Yeah, I picked up a bottle of the "new classic" Old Spice to give it another go....I'm very familiar with the secent since my dad used it for the longest time.

Yeah, this new formulation lacks the spice....it just does not have much of a strong smell at all.

It is however, a pretty pleasing scent. I just wish they would call it "Old Spice 2" or some junk like that, so we could easily tell it's not the Old Spice we used to know.

This looks like a job for Ebay.

I don't know if this may have any bearing but the aftershave is weaker than the Cologne and always has been. Most guys actually just buy the cologne because it's much stronger. I have a bottle I bought within the last six months and it's the cologne. It's very strong and spicey, just like it always has been. But who knows maybe it's just an old bottle.

Chris

Does it have the single color ship on it, or does it have the new multicolor ship logo on it?

That seems to be one of the signs of it being the "old" Old Spice, versus the "new" Old Spice.

jtmo3 said:

John

it could also be likely the product is reproduced/manufactured in a different country and they put the foreigh language on. When this happens you'll find the product could be bit cheaper and the quality has also faded a little like you say about the smell. When its not done by the orignal company and not the original country this is where fakes can come in.

Hello

Received Mama Bear's Old Spice Cologne and Soap today,in a word Fantastic!!
This is just the smell I remember my dear old departed dad used to wear. I have had the cologne now for about an hour and it still smells GREAT!!! no powdery smell like the New/ Old Spice. This stuff is elegant and superb in every way, Cudos to the chef; Mama Bear!!!

Top Bottom