What's new

Old Spice and my usage and review

can anyone here tell me the difference between old and new, and why is the "old" version so sought after, and why is it different in different markets?

I used it again today, and I have to tell you, it's a winner in my eyes and I really enjoy it. When used with a puck of Williams, I think it's just a total win win all the way around.

I would think that if the old formula was so amazing and good, then why was it disco'ed in the US and changed to the "new" formula, are there different ingredients, or what makes them so different, yet so many people say the old smells so darn close to the new, that it's almost identical. I know I'm asking the tough questions here, but hey someone has too.

for me being so hard to get/find old I just live happily on with the new knowing I can go to a store and pick it up quickly cheaply easily :)
small differences to me are worth it IF both are easily gotten

Is Seaforth really similar to Old Spice? I've been looking at Seaforth because I have a small collection of Seaforth shaving mugs and aftershave bottles.

I have the Seaforth Spiced aftershave toner. I don't think it smells like Old Spice, but I like them both. The Seaforth scent has a very noticeable cinnamon note and it feels kinda "warm" when you put it on....very similar to how my face feels when I use Tabac.

The old spice I have is labeled an aftershave, not a cologne, and made in Canada IIRC. Excellent product bought at Albertsons.

Check out PAA Cold Spices shave soap and aftershave. Smells exactly like the old version of Old Spice....with an added menthol kick....love it. PAA Diver Down is also great (probably my favorite)....it's a Seaforth scent that is similar, but different to Old Spice. It's outstanding.

I love OS, it's definitely up there with the best.

But there is one Old Spice that's head and shoulders above the rest.

IMG_20210505_201314.jpg

OS Fresh Lime is my absolute favourite!

The cream is ok, probably won't replace it when it runs out. The AS is something else though! I always have a spare of that.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm so bummed. :( I remember a sticky here about someone with access to gas chromatography equipment who actually compared the Indian Old Spice to the Old Shulton original and they were identical. I bought a few bottles shipped from India then and I'm on my last one, and now I find out the Indians also reformulated it! Apparently, the Indian stuff isn't the Right Stuff anymore.

Sigh. Why do these companies always screw around with their recipes? So what's the deal now? I guess there's no reason to get anything other than what I can find at Walgreens? So disappointed.

Sigh. Why do these companies always screw around with their recipes?
Good question for all sorts of items, not just shaving related. Especially when it's a successful product as is. My only guess is money. Cheaper to do it another way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
can anyone here tell me the difference between old and new, and why is the "old" version so sought after, and why is it different in different markets?

I used it again today, and I have to tell you, it's a winner in my eyes and I really enjoy it. When used with a puck of Williams, I think it's just a total win win all the way around.

I would think that if the old formula was so amazing and good, then why was it disco'ed in the US and changed to the "new" formula, are there different ingredients, or what makes them so different, yet so many people say the old smells so darn close to the new, that it's almost identical. I know I'm asking the tough questions here, but hey someone has too.
The biggest difference I’ve noticed is the scent was much stronger in the old but the scent was the same. I prefer the new. The old was likely offensive to some bystanders and office mates. It could be a bit overwhelming.

I really like the current version of old spice and there’s a good chance I’ll always have a bottle.

When you pair it up with Williams shave soap you are really living!!!!

Apparently my dog LOVES Old Spice.

Backstory. He's a big blackmouth cur mix, may have some Dane in him, he's that big. We got him as a rescue when he was about a year and a half old. Know nothing about his history, but his behavior makes us think he was abused. Had tons of separation anxiety for months, and mistrusts strangers, especially men. Took him six months for me to really earn his trust.

So today, I shaved with Stirling Spice. I'm not the biggest fan of OS but it reminds me of my grandpa. Then, we went to the store to get some things and they had OS aftershave. One of the boxes had been opened, so I popped the cork and put a dab on my wrist to see how the current formula measures up to my memory. (Spoiler, it's close but weaker and fades fast).

Anyway, we got home, and the dog came right over to me and sniffed my wrist. A couple minutes later, I sat down on the couch. He crawled up next to me, sniffed my wrist again, then spent 30 seconds sniffing my whole face. Then he sniffed my wrist *again* and started licking it! After that he curled up right next to me and didn't move for the next hour. (This is very out of character for him).

I may have to go buy the AS just for him!

I use the European Glass Bottle aftershave; I have also noticed over time it seems to get stronger the longer it sits on the bathroom shelf. ☢️

I love both! The vintage is much less floral and powdery but a lot spicier. Less fresh for sure. It has more longevity than the new as well if you’re interested in an all day scent without a cologne.

Where the vintage really shines for me is the cologne. It’s light years better than the current cologne.

If I hadn’t bought a lifetime supply of the vintage aftershave years ago when it was cheap, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a bunch at todays prices. Maybe one bottle just to get the nice milk glass container to refill!

The cologne is a different story. It’s much more complex and has double to triple the longevity of the current cologne.

Top Bottom