What's new

Old Spice Alternatives

For those that want a shaving soap that smells like the aftershave lotion, here are a couple of alternatives.

IMG_0127.JPG

Old Spice Original Scent Body Wash will provide the scent to Bramble Berry Melt and Pour Shaving Soap Base. I use 4 oz of shaving soap base to 3 Tablespoons of Body Wash. That's a 1/4 lb of soap base, or 1/4 of the pound package pictured. Chop the soap base into large chunks and heat it in the mug you are going to use it in with a 30 second or so microwave blast. While it is liquid, pour in the body wash and stir it in. It will harden in about a half hour or so and is ready to use.

The Bramble Berry Shaving Soap Base creates a very high quality vege based shaving soap. It lathers very well and provides a nice comfortable shave. I have used it for several other home made concoctions including other body wash scents. The body wash doesn't diminish the properties of the base soap at all. The scent is strong and is a perfect match to Proctor and Gambles current Old Spice After Shave.

I found the bottle on the left a couple of years ago on the clearance shelf at the grocery store. My wife recently found the one on the right on Amazon.

Next is an Old Spice Bath Bar found in a Dollar Tree store. I bought it while traveling in Iowa. When I got it home my wife giggled because she bought some at the local Dollar Store in Southern California. I suspect it will be readily available for a while. I'm going to stock up as it is both a great bath soap and a great shaving soap.

I test lathered it with a small Finest Badger brush while holding the bar in my hand. I was shocked at how easily it lathered and the quality of the lather. It is not labeled as a shaving soap, but it truly reminds me of my NOS Vintage Old Spice Shaving Soap. It lathers as easy and provides the rich creamy feel of the original. I have shaved with it several times in the past week and I'm thinking of shreding it and puching it into a mug. It is also strongly scented and matches the current scent of Old Spice After Shave.

It has been many years since I used a fresh puck of the original, but I remember it being milder in scent to the after shave. Both of these presented here are full strength. I did shave with the Vintage stuff this morning to compare it with these two before posting.

Anyway, I'm excited to present both to those who want to enjoy something very close to the original scent when you shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For those that want a shaving soap that smells like the aftershave lotion, here are a couple of alternatives.

View attachment 1374647

Old Spice Original Scent Body Wash will provide the scent to Bramble Berry Melt and Pour Shaving Soap Base. I use 4 oz of shaving soap base to 3 Tablespoons of Body Wash. That's a 1/4 lb of soap base, or 1/4 of the pound package pictured. Chop the soap base into large chunks and heat it in the mug you are going to use it in with a 30 second or so microwave blast. While it is liquid, pour in the body wash and stir it in. It will harden in about a half hour or so and is ready to use.

The Bramble Berry Shaving Soap Base creates a very high quality vege based shaving soap. It lathers very well and provides a nice comfortable shave. I have used it for several other home made concoctions including other body wash scents. The body wash doesn't diminish the properties of the base soap at all. The scent is strong and is a perfect match to Proctor and Gambles current Old Spice After Shave.

I found the bottle on the left a couple of years ago on the clearance shelf at the grocery store. My wife recently found the one on the right on Amazon.

Next is an Old Spice Bath Bar found in a Dollar Tree store. I bought it while traveling in Iowa. When I got it home my wife giggled because she bought some at the local Dollar Store in Southern California. I suspect it will be readily available for a while. I'm going to stock up as it is both a great bath soap and a great shaving soap.

I test lathered it with a small Finest Badger brush while holding the bar in my hand. I was shocked at how easily it lathered and the quality of the lather. It is not labeled as a shaving soap, but it truly reminds me of my NOS Vintage Old Spice Shaving Soap. It lathers as easy and provides the rich creamy feel of the original. I have shaved with it several times in the past week and I'm thinking of shreding it and puching it into a mug. It is also strongly scented and matches the current scent of Old Spice After Shave.

It has been many years since I used a fresh puck of the original, but I remember it being milder in scent to the after shave. Both of these presented here are full strength. I did shave with the Vintage stuff this morning to compare it with these two before posting.

Anyway, I'm excited to present both to those who want to enjoy something very close to the original scent when you shave.
Thank you for posting this! I may be going to our Dollar Store tonight. I will check on the Bar Soap status. I have seen other OS bar soaps available there....

I picked up some more bars of Old Spice Hand soap at the local Dollar Store and after staring at an empty Old Spice mug on my desk decided it needed filling. I cut the bar up and grabbed my shreder and shredded the bar into the mug and pressed it into the mug. You can see the results here. I used a 19 mm Finest Badger brush and easily obtained great lather.

20211218_132858[1].jpg

20211218_132922[1].jpg

Hat Tip to @Big Jim for his Old Spice Bar Soap discovery. Thank you.

First shave with Old Spice Bar Soap via the Dollar Tree. Yes, it's a great shaving soap!

This non tallow soap lathers easily producing stable, moist, thick and rich lather. It did not dry out my skin. It's a winner! Cold water bowl lather today with my WCS brush and finished off the shave with Old Spice A/S.

IMG_20211219_133719440.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Old Spice bar soap, didn’t even know it existed. Picked up a years supply today at a Dollar Tree. I won’t use it for shaving because I have some of the genuine vintage shave soap but will definitely use it in the shower.

I regularly make a bowl of lather with Williams, either vintage or modern, then sprinkle in some Old Spice, also either vintage or modern, after shave or cologne for an Old Spice scented lather. Very simple process.

I bought a bunch of the soap bars from dollar tree a few months ago too, I thought I'd found an undiscovered gem. But right after buying them I found them even cheaper in other stores, especially since the dollar tree is now the 1.25 tree. My local RiteAid has 8 packs for 7.50, which comes out to only $6 if you have the 20% member discount. And even cheaper is the walmart site, they have 8 packs for only $4.97. . To be noted though, about the soap bars pictured in this thread...the light blue/green graphic on the box means that the bars are actually closer to Old spice Pure Sport scent...which is a little different from the original classic aftershave scent, but it still smells really great ! Walmart also carries those bars in the Swagger scent for the same price, but I haven't tried those yet.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of the soap bars from dollar tree a few months ago too, I thought I'd found an undiscovered gem. But right after buying them I found them even cheaper in other stores, especially since the dollar tree is now the 1.25 tree. My local RiteAid has 8 packs for 7.50, which comes out to only $6 if you have the 20% member discount. And even cheaper is the walmart site, they have 8 packs for only $4.97. . To be noted though, about the soap bars pictured in this thread...the light blue/green graphic on the box means that the bars are actually closer to Old spice Pure Sport scent...which is a little different from the original classic aftershave scent, but it still smells really great ! Walmart also carries those bars in the Swagger scent for the same price, but I haven't tried those yet.

Interesting. It really is a delightful scent. Maybe I'll try a Swagger bar too.

Hat Tip to @Big Jim for his Old Spice Bar Soap discovery. Thank you.

First shave with Old Spice Bar Soap via the Dollar Tree. Yes, it's a great shaving soap!

This non tallow soap lathers easily producing stable, moist, thick and rich lather. It did not dry out my skin. It's a winner! Cold water bowl lather today with my WCS brush and finished off the shave with Old Spice A/S.

View attachment 1381070
I tried to face lather this...nada. You are the man!

Thanks guys for discovering the $1.25 Tree Old Spice bar soap. I bought two bars and used one for both washing and shaving today. It's a slick soap for shaving, lathers pretty well (a bit like Williams as was said above, also a bit drying like Williams). Followed with modern OS aftershave and Guerlain Heritage EDT.

Thanks guys for discovering the $1.25 Tree Old Spice bar soap. I bought two bars and used one for both washing and shaving today. It's a slick soap for shaving, lathers pretty well (a bit like Williams as was said above, also a bit drying like Williams). Followed with modern OS aftershave and Guerlain Heritage EDT.

I really had much better lather than what I get from Williams. I found it nearly as nice of lather as vintage Old Spice, and more on par with Tabac which seems to lather so easily that it lathers if you sneeze at it. Maybe you have harder water than I have.

Sadly, I confirmed with P&G Old Spice directly last month that the “Classic” body wash is now discontinued. I was purchasing it from Amazon for some time and noticed it recently became unavailable. On the other hand, I will be making a trip to Dollar Tree soon! Thanks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sadly, I confirmed with P&G Old Spice directly last month that the “Classic” body wash is now discontinued. I was purchasing it from Amazon for some time and noticed it recently became unavailable. On the other hand, I will be making a trip to Dollar Tree soon! Thanks!
Me too. Hope they have it in Michigan!

It's been awhile since I noticed any of the Classic body wash in the stores. It sucks that they are discontinuing it.... Probably the aftershave and cologne won't be far behind...

I said I wouldn’t use it for shaving but changed my mind and grated one of the bars into a Ziplock container and used it this morning with a NDC Super Speed and Treet Black Beauty blade. It actually performed very, very well using a vintage Ever-Ready brush that I restored with a TGN synthetic knot.

Got it, grated it into Old Spice mug, used it. It was really good soap, great lather with cheap synthetic brush. Going to get more before it runs out.

My wife is addicted to Marshalls, TJMaxx and Homegoods. If you check the men's section there's normally a rack of odd men's products, and I've seen in multiple stores, over the last few weeks that they carry Old Spice body wash in the original scent. The labeling on the back says it's made in Germany I think. I grabbed 2 bottles and I'm thinking I better go back and get the rest!

Top Bottom