What's new

Old Spice after shave from the 1960's and 1970's?

I want to know what Old Spice after shave was available in the 1960's and 1970's. Are the scents from those years the same as modern day one? The reason I am asking is because I found out that my Grandfathers after shave was Old Spice.
Thank you for your help.

I'm sure there are a dozen threads about this I don't know how to find, but it would be great to help Bobbers (and me) out if we could create a list of vintage Old Spice dupes (there are some of these lists out there I've come across but at this point are incomplete) along with their relative merits.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would type Shulton Old Spice into the B&B search bar and begin there. Shulton can still be had with a bit of research and know how. Dupes of Old Spice can be found in the search bar also.

Or, I can copy/paste links here from the same search bar... :) All depends on how much or little effort any of us already in this thread, wants to do? ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would type Shulton Old Spice into the B&B search bar and begin there. Shulton can still be had with a bit of research and know how. Dupes of Old Spice can be found in the search bar also.

Or, I can copy/paste links here from the same search bar... :) All depends on how much or little effort any of us already in this thread, wants to do? ;)
......."do it, do it, do it, do it......." LOL!

I did that, and got a mess of results involving different tangents radiating all over the place..... o_O

Anyone who's interested is welcome to drop some info to help Bobbers.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I want to know what Old Spice after shave was available in the 1960's and 1970's. Are the scents from those years the same as modern day one? The reason I am asking is because I found out that my Grandfathers after shave was Old Spice.
Thank you for your help.
I'm of the opinion that today's is CLOSE to the original, but not close enough. I've got some from the 70's that I use occasionally, but MUCH prefer the vintage Avon Spicy from the same time period.

The vintage Old Spice (to me) has longer legs than today's stuff. It was REAL easy to use too much of it back in the 70's; not so much today.

Hopefully that made sense, but don't be surprised if someone else chimes in with a totally different view, as scents are so.... PERSONAL in my opinion.

Old Spice has definitely changed a bit, the current version is more like the top notes of the old Shulton but without the girth of the base scent. Lighter, more fleeting, but still decent. The current version is like a more office-friendly scent, because for those of us who like the old scent, it could be a bit much to some noses.
Stirling, Barrister and Mann, and Soap Commander all do nice versions of the classic Shulton. Worth checking any of those out if you want something closer to the old version. The Soap Commander Endurance is a balm too, with a nice bit of menthol to it.

Who knows what Old Spice after shave really was like 50 or more years ago?

Our memories fade over the decades, and our sensory perceptions deteriorate as we age.

Besides all that, subtle changes (if present) are not necessarily bad.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have some 1950s/1960s Old Spice bottles and they seem stronger even than my Shulton 1977 Queen Elizabeth Jubilee bottles, particularly the cologne version. The current version available in the UK seems very weak by comparison. Of course it is possible that the vintage bottles have been adulterated in some way or have changed over the decades. Original Shulton Old Spice is easy enough to obtain on the Bay.

I'm of the opinion that today's is CLOSE to the original, but not close enough. I've got some from the 70's that I use occasionally, but MUCH prefer the vintage Avon Spicy from the same time period.

The vintage Old Spice (to me) has longer legs than today's stuff. It was REAL easy to use too much of it back in the 70's; not so much today.

Hopefully that made sense, but don't be surprised if someone else chimes in with a totally different view, as scents are so.... PERSONAL in my opinion.

+1! I also prefer vintage! But the ‘modern’ is not bad, not bad at all IMO! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Old Spice has definitely changed a bit, the current version is more like the top notes of the old Shulton but without the girth of the base scent. Lighter, more fleeting, but still decent. The current version is like a more office-friendly scent, because for those of us who like the old scent, it could be a bit much to some noses.
Stirling, Barrister and Mann, and Soap Commander all do nice versions of the classic Shulton. Worth checking any of those out if you want something closer to the old version. The Soap Commander Endurance is a balm too, with a nice bit of menthol to it.
Agree. I have a bottle of Shulton cologne from the 70's or 80's that I need to use sparingly. When I use it I've been told that people know I'm near by before the even see me.:blush:

I have another question then. Do vintage after shave have a stronger scent or has some of the alcohol evaporated and the scent is more concentrated?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have another question then. Do vintage after shave have a stronger scent or has some of the alcohol evaporated and the scent is more concentrated?

The potency of earlier vintage aftershaves, were made stronger than many of the modern ones today.

Depending on how vintage AS’s were stored, they are capable of having some of the alcohol and water contents evaporate.

What happens to an individual splash when this happens is wide and varied. Some may get stronger and some may get weaker. While some can be in pristine condition as if nothing changed, you will find many whose top notes have possibly faded, you even can find sediment from natural oxidation or from contamination from being previously opened or used, sitting at the bottom of the bottle.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Vintage aftershaves and colognes were generally stronger that the reformulated new versions. Like soaps, and most other products, the original vintage version, is superior to the modern incarnation, even if by the same manufacturer, at least for me although opinions will differ. Aramis, Polo, Brut, Old Spice, Paco Rabanne, Drakkar Noir, Kouros - I have bought modern version of these and others, and been hugely disappointed - perhaps it is my olfactory sense or my memories of older scents that has changed and not the scents themselves. I will never purchase another new boxed scent that is a reformulation of a vintage one I have previously owned and have zero interest in new scents.

I have some 1950s/1960s Old Spice bottles and they seem stronger even than my Shulton 1977 Queen Elizabeth Jubilee bottles, particularly the cologne version. The current version available in the UK seems very weak by comparison. Of course it is possible that the vintage bottles have been adulterated in some way or have changed over the decades. Original Shulton Old Spice is easy enough to obtain on the Bay.
I am not a chemist, but water evaporates over time leaving the remaining ingredients more concentrated...

I just did a review on the new current offering of old spice and many people say that it smells pretty darn good compared to the old version, and even a few guys mention that they can't tell the difference, as far as it "not lasting" I have no problem with it going all day for me. I'm actually blown away at how I can smell it all day when I wear it. I'm now using it at least 2 -3 times a week. I'm a fan.

Here's my review

I have purchased unopened vintage bottles that were still full. Nothing evaporated. They smell the same as the other vintage bottles I have and use. OS is quite shelf stable. I’m not sure if it’s worth watching the bay for a bottle of vintage OS aftershave, but it will probably be spot on to it’s original self. I like the vintage. The new version is in my travel bag. I like it when I travel.

The real vintage star, in my opinion, is the cologne. It’s head and shoulders above the current version of cologne.

Top Bottom