What's new

Old Spice 1956 vs. Indian Old Spice

The August 2nd, 2015 review by John B. for Old Spice Original Aftershave on Fendrihan's Canadian site (they also sell it on the US site) indicates their version is "an import from the UK". The one from Gifts and Care seems to be made in Germany. Perhaps they're both made in Germany for P&G, UK? John B. also states that the India version is a little sweeter but both the India and the Fendrihan version are reminiscent of the old Old Spice aftershave.

http://www.fendrihan.ca/products/old-spice-original-after-shave

However, if you look at the question I posed on July 17, 2015 about the location of production, Fendrihan specifically replied that it was made in Germany.

http://www.fendrihan.com/products/old-spice-original-after-shave

Last edited:
I'm still digging the Rubicon and Vintage Old Spice. Nobody else can smell the difference between them. Still great smells. It really stinks that the formula was changed in the USA.

I just don't understand what these US manufacturers and distributors of men's aftershaves are thinking. Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, and Mennen have different versions in Europe and India. Brut also just took their best (IMHO) aftershave, Brut Dominant in a glass bottle, off the market in the US for possible sale only in Europe.

I'm surprised that there aren't alot of comments on the Old Spice Musk from India. I think it's terrific.

Last edited:
Great reading Shaveathon and all you other fellas. May I input what I can here? Okay, I live in England and bought the P&G version of Old Spice aftershave. It smelled 'similar' to vintage but similar ain't on the money is it?
I've since bought several vintage bottles of both AS and Cologne from pre-1970, and the smell is dynamite. Such a telling difference from the P&G version! In fact the first whiff of the vintage took me back to my dad's cabinet which was always had a bottle there on the shelf.
Now onto the Rubicon India version. I bought some from an eBay seller and was so pleased with the scent. I can not tell the difference between the Rubicon and the vintage.
So for future purchases I'm sticking with the India version.
Also bought the Rubicon Fresh Lime. Very nice indeed.
Just wish Rubicon would bring back the mighty Burley!
Think I may stalk 'em and wear them down till they do!

Great reading Shaveathon and all you other fellas.
Now onto the Rubicon India version. I bought some from an eBay seller and was so pleased with the scent. I can not tell the difference between the Rubicon and the vintage.

I'm glad you enjoyed the discussion. Have you read my thread about trying to get Walmart here in the USA involved in seeing if they could use their considerable clout as a huge retailer, and import the Original Old Spice brand?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Aftershaves!?p=7453689&highlight=#post7453689

It's great to know that the India Rubicon version is that close to the Original by Shulton. I'm going to order the OS Original Eau de Toilette from Europe, and at some point also order the OS Original aftershave so I can compare it to the India Rubicon version. I also hope to try the lime. If you write them regarding the Burley, try to get them to also reissue this one.

proxy.php

Great reading Shaveathon and all you other fellas. May I input what I can here? Okay, I live in England and bought the P&G version of Old Spice aftershave. It smelled 'similar' to vintage but similar ain't on the money is it?
I've since bought several vintage bottles of both AS and Cologne from pre-1970, and the smell is dynamite. Such a telling difference from the P&G version! In fact the first whiff of the vintage took me back to my dad's cabinet which was always had a bottle there on the shelf.

I feel the same about the Rubicon. Good stuff. In fact, I ordered some more, a couple of days ago. Only around $9.50 delivered, for 100 ml.

I'm glad you enjoyed the discussion. Have you read my thread about trying to get Walmart here in the USA involved in seeing if they could use their considerable clout as a huge retailer, and import the Original Old Spice brand?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Aftershaves!?p=7453689&highlight=#post7453689

It's great to know that the India Rubicon version is that close to the Original by Shulton. I'm going to order the OS Original Eau de Toilette from Europe, and at some point also order the OS Original aftershave so I can compare it to the India Rubicon version. I also hope to try the lime. If you write them regarding the Burley, try to get them to also reissue this one.

proxy.php

Yes I did indeed read your very informative piece. As for re releasing stuff I have contacted P&G gave the license to Ceuta Healthcare to distribute Old Spice in UK.
I contacted Ceuta who told me there were no plans to distribute Burley in UK or "India". Now playing shall get my Lieutenant Columbo mac on and investigate with Rubicon as it is they who distribute throughout India.
While I'm at it I will inquire about OS Leather (which I've never used).
When I find out Rubicon's contact details I'll post in this thread and maybe we can all get on their case.
They say "the customer's always right" don't they?!
I should give these execs the time honoured Columbo line "Airm I bodderin' you sir?"

When I find out Rubicon's contact details I'll post in this thread and maybe we can all get on their case.
They say "the customer's always right" don't they?!

When I email these fragrance companies, I try to avoid the customer service email address. I search Google for the marketing and sales VP's and then bcc them using various possibilities for the correct syntax of the email address, such as [email protected], first [email protected] and so on.

Okay fellas, I've just emailed Simon at Rubicon Formulations, praising them on the fact that their versions of OS Original, Fresh Lime and Musk stay true to their respective original scents.
I've asked he and the company to give consideration to the popular demand for re releasing both Old Spice Burley and Old Spice Leather.
Here's hoping!
And here's a link to Rubicon's site/contact details etc so maybe you fellas can help in the bombardment!
http://rubiconindia.com/contact-us/

EBay. I typed in Old Spice Aftershave Shulton. Buy it now adds for $9.47. Make sure it ships from India.

In regard to Ebay, the number of feedback reviews is important. If it's over 98% positive and in the thousands, that's a good sign.
Another thing to look for is that the seller has a decent quantity of the product. It will read something like "more than 10 available".

I've seen then say 3 left, seen it stay on three, for over a month, never budge, and haven't had a problem getting one from the vendor. I don't think they have a difficult time getting the Rubicon, in India. It could just be a high pressure sales technique. "Only 3 left, I better get one before they are all gone".
Oh, and the "Make an Offer Option"? I tried it several times. They only go down a penny at a time. Kind of funny.

There is a lot of speculation as to whether any reformulation across time (old Shulton vis-à-vis new P&G) or distance (USA / India) ever occurred.
IMHO the most confounding factor is aging on the shelf. I have Shulton bottles that I used from time to time. A little always went a long way and I used them only intermittently, so they have lasted 30-35 years. Your 1956 bottle has outlived a lot of people who were babies at the time. Even though the classic bottle stores well, the product still may have subtle changes with age. It is entirely possible that there were no formulation changes, yet the old would seem somewhat different from the new.

There is a lot of speculation as to whether any reformulation across time (old Shulton vis-à-vis new P&G) or distance (USA / India) ever occurred.
IMHO the most confounding factor is aging on the shelf. I have Shulton bottles that I used from time to time. A little always went a long way and I used them only intermittently, so they have lasted 30-35 years. Your 1956 bottle has outlived a lot of people who were babies at the time. Even though the classic bottle stores well, the product still may have subtle changes with age. It is entirely possible that there were no formulation changes, yet the old would seem somewhat different from the new.

Sure, it could also be the change to plastic from the glass bottle that has altered the scent, but to most the USA produced "Classic" Old Spice just has a sweeter and less spicy smell. I also don't recall the longevity of Old Spice aftershave being no more than 20 minutes to a half hour like the current Classic version. It just seemed much stronger than that.

Then you have the headspace-gas chromatography test done by this B&B member which concluded that the Shulton Old Spice and the current Classic are significantly different.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/279212-Will-the-real-quot-Old-Spice-quot-please-stand-up

All I can say regarding this is that I've recently bought the UK P&G OS along with Indian Rubicon version and the difference between them was pretty clear cut.
You know how when you take a whiff of something and it takes you right back to a certain time and place?
Well the P&G didn't but the Indian version smelled just how I remember my dad's stuff back in the 70s.
However I can't speak for the P&G USA formula as I've not tried it.

My Indian Shulton (pre-Rubicon) and the P&G Classic OS are different. No doubt in my mind. Of course they are close, but the P&G skews sweeter and floral. The Indian version is deeper, spicier. Two different formulas. No doubt at all.

Top Bottom