What's new

Old shaving cabinet and a few razors bought

There was a local auction a few days ago, and this pretty nice shaving cabinet was up for sale. My mother won the auction for me ("good grades present", lol). Here are some shots of the cabinet and the two razors that was included. I haven't polished the razors yet, so they look bad. I'll post pics once I've polished them. If anyone recognise the models, please enlighten me. :)

For those interested, shots taken with my Canon 40D and nifty fifty. Available light. Done some editing in Adobe Camera Raw.

Cabinet

Høvel og skrin by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_1 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_3 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Both razors:

Høvel og skrin_4 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Razor 1: Laurel, made in England

Høvel og skrin_10 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_5 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Razor 2, no markings except for a small "2", very aggressive!!

Høvel og skrin_8 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_9 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_7 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Høvel og skrin_6 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

So there you have it! :) Got it for 300 NOK (which equals about $52 or £33). Any idea what this is? I really like that cabinet. Once I get it cleaned up, I'm planning on storing some of my razors in it.

Regards,
Anders

Looks like a nice gift and will be a good place to keep some of your shave gear, I have no idea what the razors are!

Congratulations on getting good grades :thumbup:

LOL, thanks for noticing, Uncle :lol:

Yea. I've sanded it down a little, and put some new screws and stuff into the wood. Cracked just a little bit. Also cleaned the mirror. I'm not sure I'm capable of taking it all apart and cleaning each part one by one, but that's what I should do. It smells like a typical antique item, and has dust in the corners and stuff. I don't want to break it.

The razors are cleaned and polished, only need to boil them a little and put them in some alcohol, and they're ready for usage :) Maybe I'll get some pics tomorrow after work.

NO BOILING PLEASE Anders

I leave mine in baking soda and after a few days use dishwashing liquid then some gentle metal polish.

They usually come out ok ... clean and useable at least.

As you have already polished them a quick dip in Alcohol should kill and bugs tough enough to survive the polishing. My favorite would be Aalborg Aquavit :biggrin1:

Top Bottom