What's new

Old School Gamers

I see there's a thread dedicated for video gamers but what about the rest of us?

Who here enjoys board games and RPGs?

I see there's a thread dedicated for video gamers but what about the rest of us?

Who here enjoys board games and RPGs?

Can't you like both? While courting my wife, we used to have some mean backgammon matches. Now we just play Battleship and Scrabble

I myself am a big fan of Yahtzee and Monopoly. I've even been known to enjoy some Uno every once in awhile.

We love Setters of Catan and I'm gearing up to run a 4E D&D campaign. I'm also a chess fan and loved playing Go but currently have nobody to play with.

I love the Monopoly. It can get violent playing with my brothers though, but then again we were violent most of the time anyway...

I also enjoy Risk and many other board games such as Scrabble.

I'm very *rolls a D20* interested in this thread. :tongue:

Yeah, I've gamed on every system. PC, PS2, NES, board, cards, D&D, MUDs, etc. I play chess (not as much as I used to), checkers, and backgammon. Risk and Monopoly are always fun, but cribbage and spades are my favorite games.

I'm also trying to learn to play Go. Sparkchaser, if you're willing to put up with someone who really sucks, I'm up for a match. I can barely play on a 9x9 board though. :blush:

I'm very *rolls a D20* interested in this thread. :tongue:

I have to temporarily turn in my Neckbeard Card because I recognize the reference but can't remember where it is from.

I'm also trying to learn to play Go. Sparkchaser, if you're willing to put up with someone who really sucks, I'm up for a match. I can barely play on a 9x9 board though. :blush:

Sweet. We can suck together. wait, that didn't come out right.

I have to temporarily turn in my Neckbeard Card because I recognize the reference but can't remember where it is from.

Sweet. We can suck together. wait, that didn't come out right.

I stole it from Futurama. :biggrin:

And yeah, you made it sound much worse than I imagined possible. :lol:

I'm gearing up to run a 4E D&D campaign.

My regular group has begrudgingly stepped up to each edition as it has come out, but I believe that we've drawn a line in the sand at 3.5--no 4E for us. Some of us are still upset over the loss of the THVAC table from the original AD&D (daggers are now overpowered!). :)

My regular group has begrudgingly stepped up to each edition as it has come out, but I believe that we've drawn a line in the sand at 3.5--no 4E for us. Some of us are still upset over the loss of the THVAC table from the original AD&D (daggers are now overpowered!). :)

Believe me, if I had my way it would be 2E forever.

Here I was thinking this would be the place to talk about my near mint Atari 2600....

Never managed to get into D&D, I've always been curious, but it dosn't seem like the type of thing you can just "Pick up"

I have however played Magic: The Gathering on and off since 1993 but I find most of the recent sets to be undesireable. The last time I bought cards was around "Onslaught"

Believe me, if I had my way it would be 2E forever.

+1. THAC0 for the win. :biggrin:

Here I was thinking this would be the place to talk about my near mint Atari 2600....

Never managed to get into D&D, I've always been curious, but it dosn't seem like the type of thing you can just "Pick up"

I have however played Magic: The Gathering on and off since 1993 but I find most of the recent sets to be undesireable. The last time I bought cards was around "Onslaught"

You can pick D&D up with minimal fuss. Making your character is the most stressful event for a new person, but after that you can just do what everyone else does.

M:TG was good too. I still have about 2,000 cards laying around in my garage. Was going to Ebay them but it doesn't seem worth the trouble given the price bulk lots go for. The bulk of my collection is from Chronicles and Mirage.

Used to be. BIG fan of Avalon Hill boardgames. Me and my best friend were Squad Leader junkies, and we'd have marathon weekend gaming sessions.

Don

Minirant: I don't like how the 4E DMG heavily recommends that you give out X magic items per treasure parcel AND that they be something the party can use. Also, magic creation and identification seems to be way too easy.

Sounds like they're making it way too easy. I think it should be up to the DM how difficult the campaign is. We had one DM who simply would not let our characters die, one of mine got rescued by a shark... then we had another DM where it was amazing for a character to get past level 5. I tried being the DM once though, and I can really appreciate the amount of planning that goes into it. I'm not sure on the specifics of how the party died anymore, but basically it involved them trying to climb a magic beanstalk while one idiot was trying to chop it down. Worst crit hit ever...

I have actually won M:TG tournaments. I quit right at the end of the Onslaught cycle. I also love me some Stratego.

Top Bottom