What's new

Old Razor Hone

I have my great grandfathers razor hone. It has been laying in a drawer since I was a kid and never gave it much thought. It is very hard, very smooth and I had always assumed it was a stone to sharpen knives and it would do so very poorly. Talking to one of my uncles he told me what it was and that my Gt grandfathers razor used to be in there with it but it was dropped and the blade broke in two so it was tossed out.

It’s not very big maybe 2x4”x 1” thick. Some sort of natural stone and it is slightly dished out on one side and the edges have some chips. I don’t want to use it but is it possible to do a level on it and make it serviceable again?

Here it is. It’s about half an inch I think. Thought it was thicker. I spent the last hour lapping it flat. One side was dished out pretty good and just black with metal residue. It’s hard. Took 3 sheets 80grit to get it level. Then I went to 400 and then a medium diamond plate.

Pretty stone. It touched up my pocket knife pretty good with just a little water.

Not sure if it’s be used with oil or water. My uncle said he remembers him using 3 in 1 oil and water.

Attachments

• 010C73F8-57D4-4E42-A9C6-E3A4BDCA0B72.jpeg
    010C73F8-57D4-4E42-A9C6-E3A4BDCA0B72.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
  • FCF17C27-7B6A-462B-A1F1-303E9CD8A537.jpeg
    FCF17C27-7B6A-462B-A1F1-303E9CD8A537.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
They can be great razor stones and they usually dont have to be lapped often (the finishing ones hardly ever). Looks like the one you have is for lower end of progression. If honing was a 3 step process the 12k is a 3, and that stone would probably be a 1. So if you were doing full progression you would want a stone between the 12k and that stone. Would hold off on using it until your good at shaving with a shave ready razor, and somewhat use to touching up on the 12k

Thanks. There’s another stone too. I have to get it next time I’m up at my mountain places. It is very very hard and very smooth. Came from the same old box of razors that this one came from. My grandparents left us the house. Everything in it from my grandmothers side. An old Victrola, a bedroom set with a gorgeous wardrobe. My great grandmothers wood burning cooking stove. All kinds of old stuff. Never gave these stones much though until I wanted to use a straight razor to shave. Always thought they were crappy knife sharpening stones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These might be very nice Arks. Even pretty small they may be quite useful for razors. Maybe a great little travel kit? Plus, there's the family connection. Great find.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Looks like a soft Ark. Very slight chance that it is a Washita but I'd but a dollar it's a soft Ark. Neither are typically used for finishing razor edges or maintaining them, but sometimes they can be servicable. To venture a guess,

Top Bottom