What's new

Old pictures

My mother is visiting and she brought a picture of her dad at the barber shop he worked at . He’s on the right. Story goes that he was finishing basic and the war ended. So the GI bill paid for him to become a barber. He was a kind man and I have fond memories of him.

Any other old pictures of granddads?

797190E0-82C3-48FF-96A1-877BAB338F38.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
This is my paternal and maternal grandparents with my parents, during WW2, or maybe just before the grandfathers left to serve. They were probably a lot younger than I am now. People aged faster back in those days.

DSC00441cor.jpg

7DBF8AEE-9282-4183-92E8-344787E08E5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I don’t have too many old pictures of the grandparents, but I did find this while I was looking.

A portrait postcard my grandmother sent to her aunty in 1911. How nice is the handwriting for a little kid?

2C37B411-DDED-4491-8D5E-0E719A114FE2.jpeg
D3A4D2EE-7A98-4C17-A528-BCAA86BDBB8C.jpeg

Edit: Doing the math, she could only have been six or seven in 1911, so an adult must have written that for her, right? Even in the days of getting beaten for poor penmanship, a seven year old couldn't write like that.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
an adult must have written that for her, right? Even in the days of getting beaten for poor penmanship, a seven year old couldn't write like that.

My suspicion is she did "yours Camille" on the photo side, and an adult did the writing on the other side ... a noticeable difference between the two.

My suspicion is she did "yours Camille" on the photo side, and an adult did the writing on the other side ... a noticeable difference between the two.
Maybe not. Look at the High School graduation requirements of 100 years ago. You'll discover that kids back then were more capable and accomplished (smarter) than they are today. Penmanship, even back in the 1920's, was valued and encouraged.

Legion

Staff member
Maybe not. Look at the High School graduation requirements of 100 years ago. You'll discover that kids back then were more capable and accomplished (smarter) than they are today. Penmanship, even back in the 1920's, was valued and encouraged.
Possibly. Hard to say for sure, but her son (my father) had excellent handwriting, so maybe. I don't think I have any later examples of her writing to compare.

Top Bottom