What's new

Old Paddle Strop?

Found this today at a yard sale the seller had no information other then the leather was replaced... it's an old leather belt that was put on this but there are no markings what so ever on the rest of it. I'm wondering how old it is.
67601176_2555699981115241_4829134543267037184_o.jpg

Markings would have been on the box, and quite possibly stamped on the leather as well. But as the leather was replaced and the box is not there, you don't have them. Mostly a European thing, I suppose, the variable tension strop. I have seen models made in Germany, France, Italy, and Greece. Yours has a squared head, often found in more recent Solingen, Germany production. Older models also had rounded heads. In short, it's not a rarity. That replacement piece looks fairly homespun. Normally, the leather is cut to size and stitched together adding reinforcing tape at the other end, which is almost certainly how your example was originally configured.

It depends on your location, but you could find a belt-making seller and cut a new piece from vegetable-tanned leather, sanding the surfaces to 180x, or not, with garnet sandpaper to arrive at a form of Russian leather. Sanding it like that would be beneficial if you wanted to use the Solingen sharpening pastes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom