What's new

Old Man Rant

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m slowly getting back into circulation. The other day an office mate was complaining about spending $38 on cartridges. I sympathized and then mentioned DE blades. He bristled and said “I can’t use those they rip up my face”
In my younger days I would have said that’s because you don’t know what the f$&@ you are doing. But I just said oh that’s too bad.

I would have told him he's supposed to move it up and down, not side to side.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m slowly getting back into circulation. The other day an office mate was complaining about spending $38 on cartridges. I sympathized and then mentioned DE blades. He bristled and said “I can’t use those they rip up my face”
In my younger days I would have said that’s because you don’t know what the f$&@ you are doing. But I just said "wimp".

FTFY

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Property line fun
We recently planted and put in some raised beds at least one foot off the property line. At the street there is a rebar marker that we’ve kept clear. We are cordial with the neighbors. No issues. They must have waited until we were away and came over and tied a bright orange tape/ribbon on the bar.
Sooo unnecessary IMO. Seems very passive aggressive too. It’s no big deal really but man that went up my backside today.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Property line fun
We recently planted and put in some raised beds at least one foot off the property line. At the street there is a rebar marker that we’ve kept clear. We are cordial with the neighbors. No issues. They must have waited until we were away and came over and tied a bright orange tape/ribbon on the bar.
Sooo unnecessary IMO. Seems very passive aggressive too. It’s no big deal really but man that went up my backside today.
Sounds like a safety measure. Have you ever seen someone fall over and be impaled on a rebar? Not a pretty sight.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was doing a job at a new power plant in Shanghai and the work crews were clearing off the top of a newly constructed 200 foot tall silo.
They were doing so by throwing stuff off the top.
A Construction Supervisor passing by got hit in the front upper right chest with a 4 foot piece of rebar.
It came out his lower left back and pinned him to the ground like a bug on a piece of cardboard.
He survived and was back on the job 2 months later.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sounds like a safety measure. Have you ever seen someone fall over and be impaled on a rebar? Not a pretty sight.
Possibly. This bar protrudes about 3” at best and hasn’t had anything on it for years. It’s at the edge of a grass and mulch line. Maybe I’ll take your theory to not harbor Bad feelings. Thanks

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was doing a job at a new power plant in Shanghai and the work crews were clearing off the top of a newly constructed 200 foot tall silo.
They were doing so by throwing stuff off the top.
A Construction Supervisor passing by got hit in the front upper right chest with a 4 foot piece of rebar.
It came out his lower left back and pinned him to the ground like a bug on a piece of cardboard.
He survived and was back on the job 2 months later.
Ouch.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Possibly. This bar protrudes about 3” at best and hasn’t had anything on it for years. It’s at the edge of a grass and mulch line. Maybe I’ll take your theory to not harbor Bad feelings. Thanks
Possibly their thinking is that now with the flowers and plants to come someone may be less likely to see the rebar and injure themselves.
Take them a gift like cookies or cheesecake and thank them for their thoughtfulness. The look on their faces and their responses to the gift will tell you their true intent.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Possibly their thinking is that now with the flowers and plants to come someone may be less likely to see the rebar and injure themselves.
Take them a gift like cookies or cheesecake and thank them for their thoughtfulness. The look on their faces and their responses to the gift will tell you their true intent.
Ya good idea
And I like the possibility of safety concerns. I certainly don’t need any more grudges in my life. They are so easy to collect 🤨

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yeah. OSHA is non-existent over there.
Oh ya and here.
There are many loopholes in reporting that many don’t get reported. I think the employer is required to report so the construction manager who is responsible for overall job safety do report because they are not the employer of a subs injured worker. Also reporting is required when someone is admitted to the hospital. So that’s interpreted narrowly. A trip to the ER (when the person is treated and released) is not a hospital “admission”

Me? I'd have tied something to it YEARS ago in order not to hit it with a mower or trimmer. Guessing it's more of that than anything else.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Sounds like it's located to be a potential tripping hazard or a danger for lawnmowers. Probably someone tripped over it or stubbed his toe or whatever, said "fudge that" and stuck some bright tape on it to warn people.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ok this might get me in trouble but…
Someone please explain the rationale of this.
I saw this guy at the park wearing large leather high top basketball shoes. Long jean shorts or short jean pants (to mid calf) and a “muscle “ shirt. He’s maybe 5 feet tall. And probably 5 feet wide. Not being that mean but he was a full size. Plus size guy in his 50s probably.
You might be guessing correctly I didn’t go introduce myself and inquire about his sport shoes but I did wonder. I mean. Come on.

I'm 6'4", and top out at 310. I prefer running shoes to any other kind, though I have to admit that affection is wavering thanks to my Columbia hikers. People like what they like.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok this might get me in trouble but…
Someone please explain the rationale of this.
I saw this guy at the park wearing large leather high top basketball shoes. Long jean shorts or short jean pants (to mid calf) and a “muscle “ shirt. He’s maybe 5 feet tall. And probably 5 feet wide. Not being that mean but he was a full size. Plus size guy in his 50s probably.
You might be guessing correctly I didn’t go introduce myself and inquire about his sport shoes but I did wonder. I mean. Come on.

Made me think of this.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
We were walking the dog today. Afternoon. 2 cars wiz up the street. Fast but not such that immediate alarm bells go off. As they get to the next cross street we hear gun shots 6 maybe 9. Cars speed away. I count at least 6 shell casings in the intersection. Homeowners appear in shock. Police tape the intersection. Several cars arrive. Asking for details and to look at doorbell cans. Unbelievable but sadly believable in this day and age.

Top Bottom