What's new

Old Man Rant

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As I pass from middle to old age I find I hate going to the store, and the bank, and the movie theater. Come to think of it I guess I just hate people, but I love my dog and pretty much every dog I've ever met. Except my neighbors dog cuz he poops on my lawn. On second thought I like that dog too, dont like my neighbor though.

At least he (your neighbor) doesn't poop on your lawn. Yet...

I encourage you to be philosophic about it, and simply tell yourself that this way you won't have to deal with getting rid of this new acquisition when it comes time for Swedish Death Cleaning.

Yeah, well, this was software. I was going to use it. I know I already like it. And it is no longer made. I'll probably never see another unused tub of this stuff for the rest of my life. That's it. I have nothing to live for. I can't bear it anymore. Don't you hate mimes? I do. They just aren't funny.

As I pass from middle to old age I find I hate going to the store, and the bank, and the movie theater. Come to think of it I guess I just hate people, but I love my dog and pretty much every dog I've ever met. Except my neighbors dog cuz he poops on my lawn. On second thought I like that dog too, dont like my neighbor though.

Yes! Yes! This! I don't like to leave the house anymore. I can stay here all day as long as I have everything I need. I only go out if I have to. Like running out of coffee beans. That's pretty serious. I have several years worth of shaving stuff and none of what I like is sold in stores. And then there's food. I've been getting into cooking and I typically will only buy the main part of the dish fresh that day. Maybe that's stupid or inefficient but hey. I hate people. I as the days go by I find I hate my neighbors more and more. No wonder my wife hates me.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sometimes, when I'm driving cross-country, I go to an afternoon matinee for a nap. It's cheaper than a motel.
It helps if they have recliners. PS: I snore loudly.
thats a brilliant idea
except for the snoring

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Grumpy old men are incapable of employing teenagers to do yard work.

Yes! Yes! This! I don't like to leave the house anymore. I can stay here all day as long as I have everything I need. I only go out if I have to. Like running out of coffee beans. That's pretty serious. I have several years worth of shaving stuff and none of what I like is sold in stores. And then there's food. I've been getting into cooking and I typically will only buy the main part of the dish fresh that day. Maybe that's stupid or inefficient but hey. I hate people. I as the days go by I find I hate my neighbors more and more. No wonder my wife hates me.

Yeah my wife keeps coming up with ways to socialize me. She lines up dinners with her friends and their husbands. Except all of us middle aged guys at the party don’t like people so we just stare at our watches (yes, we wear watches) waiting to leave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What's a counter check?
A check with no pre printed acct holder info. No acct number, no name, just a check from the bank. You take one, write in your details and sign. The store owner takes it as any other check. This was common until at least about 1990 but longer in small towns where people knew one another.

A check with no pre printed acct holder info. No acct number, no name, just a check from the bank. You take one, write in your details and sign. The store owner takes it as any other check. This was common until at least about 1990 but longer in small towns where people knew one another.

I'm 57, and have never heard of a counter check. Although now that I know what it is, it's existence doesn't surprise me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Stores in a bigger town, say population 5000 would have counter checks for most banks from said tow and neighboring towns. I’m 50 and remember this, but grew up in a rural area where this was probably common practice long after more urban areas stopped the practice.

What gets me are those women who are ahead of you in a lineup and when it's their turn at the cash they thrown down a wad of keys suitable for a janitor, haul their large purse up on the counter and then rummage around for their equally large wallet and then rummage around for a bill and exact change to pay. Then take their item and receipt and repack everything in their purse. Why couldn't they have the $10 bill ready before they came to the front of the line?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Or the person in line that doesn't seem to have many items but when it come their turn at the register they split it up into two or three separate transactions. Then at the end, stands there going over each receipt impeding any movement forward.

As I pass from middle to old age I find I hate going to the store, and the bank, and the movie theater.

Retired 10 years and I rarely leave my basement most days. I do accompany my wife to the grocery every week to 10 days, to bag the groceries and insure I have enough tonic for my gin.

Stores in a bigger town, say population 5000 would have counter checks for most banks from said tow and neighboring towns. I’m 50 and remember this, but grew up in a rural area where this was probably common practice long after more urban areas stopped the practice.
After my dad passed I got his roll-top desk and found a huge stack of counter checks from grocery stores, department stores, gas stations, etc. that he had filed separately from his actual pre-printed checks. They dated from 1962 until about the late 70's. Most of the businesses no longer exist in our area.

I'm 57, and have never heard of a counter check. Although now that I know what it is, it's existence doesn't surprise me.

Remember when personalized checks were a novelty. When you needed blank checks, you went to the bank and picked up at the signing counter. The most extreme example that comes to mind was someone who wrote out a check on a scrap of paper torn from a shopping bag. The bank honored it.

Top Bottom