What's new

Old Man Rant

I do understand people wanting to stay at home to watch a movie, but I've always felt that the true cinema experience is communal. I still recall going to see Jaws when it first opened and the audience collectively shrieking when something happened on screen. I also recall seeing Casablanca (after several TV viewings) in a large auditorium of cinephiles. That gave me a new appreciation for how truly great that movie is. Even seeing the first Scream entry with an audience member yelling "don't go in there!" at the screen was preferable to my last experience of seeing Judy with the couple who wanted to discuss each plot point as it occurred. That said, I have noticed far less talking without reclining seats. My experience seeing Joker was stellar. My wife and I were the oldsters in the audience and the young people were very well behaved--but we saw it in a theater without recliners.

i agree ... i wondered how he even spotted the smoker in a dark venue but i suppose he saw the light form the cig or roach or whatever. it was amusing to see .. he stopped the whole show and yelled at this person about how the smoke ruins his voice.

You would be surprised how visible the "heater" from a dart is in the dark. When I was a Reservist, they brought this point home to us on a moonless night. They had a NCO puffing on a cigarette off in the distance while we were lined up on the road. He had lit up before we disembarked, so no flare of a lighter to give it away. He simply turned around when ordered to and took a drag . . . instant visibility. We were shocked to discover he was a half klick into the field.

Related to the OP's situation...

I hate when I pay for something with cash and the cashier, when giving me my change, places the receipt in my stretched-out hand, followed by cash, followed by coins. Now, how am I supposed to handle that awkwardness? This way, I can drop the receipt in the bag. Then, I can put the cash back in the wallet while holding the coins in my palm. After the cash is in the wallet, the coins can go in my pocket.

Geesh, why can't everyone predict what I want and how I want it? :tongue_sm

Drifting back into the rant, and noticing the theater recliners section from September, I had to comment. I do NOT like the recliners in theaters. I believe it lulls people into a false sense of being in their living rooms and they feel free to chit-chat and text as they would at home. I had a music teacher years ago by the name of John Garvey (he would have loved the brown leaf forum here). He directed the University of Illinois #1 Jazz Band. He actually stopped a concert to redress audience members who were lounging with their legs up on the chairs. He pointed out that, in order to actually engage in the music, one should be sitting upright, back slightly away from the seat rest. I wish he was there in movie theaters. I can't wait for them to install electric recliners at the Winter Garden on Broadway. Then we know cultured society is doomed.

Titch, it was jazz. Didn't he realize his listeners were improving?

Related to the OP's situation...

I hate when I pay for something with cash and the cashier, when giving me my change, places the receipt in my stretched-out hand, followed by cash, followed by coins. Now, how am I supposed to handle that awkwardness? This way, I can drop the receipt in the bag. Then, I can put the cash back in the wallet while holding the coins in my palm. After the cash is in the wallet, the coins can go in my pocket.

Geesh, why can't everyone predict what I want and how I want it? :tongue_sm

Man, that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I totally hate that. And how many times does the change roll of the receipt or cash onto the ground. And you are usually at a drive thru window at a fast food place so you're not going to open your door to get the couple of coins that fell on the ground. But think about this. Add up how much must have fallen on the ground like that when you received your change over you lifetime. For old farts like myself, I bet I could buy a few acres and a cabin on a lake in the mountains with that money. Man I hate that.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The EXPRESS Lane at the grocery story should be 10 items MAX. And cashiers should be instructed to tell people with more to GTFO. Also, no coupons, no cheques, no price matching or anything else. Just pay for your stuff and get out.

That and an experienced cashier. One of my local supermarkets trains their new cashiers on the "express Lane". Typically it's a nightmare.

The same supermarket put in self check out line a few months ago. That's a nightmare too. Try and use a coupon and it makes you "wait for assistance". The poor overseer of the self check out lanes is very, very busy.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The EXPRESS Lane at the grocery story should be 10 items MAX. And cashiers should be instructed to tell people with more to GTFO. Also, no coupons, no cheques, no price matching or anything else. Just pay for your stuff and get out.
I try to avoid express lanes. It's where they put the newbies. Gives them reps on the process. I also do not like self checkout. I only use them if I have a couple items and the lanes are full. If I'm checking my own items, I want a discount. Of course the stores will say they are keeping costs down, whereas I take the view point that they are just pocketing the profit by avoiding labor costs and using my labor. Sometimes I go to smaller higher end grocers just to have a decent shopping experience, well that and their produce is typically a couple steps above the big grocery chains.

Drifting back into the rant, and noticing the theater recliners section from September, I had to comment. I do NOT like the recliners in theaters. I believe it lulls people into a false sense of being in their living rooms and they feel free to chit-chat and text as they would at home. I had a music teacher years ago by the name of John Garvey (he would have loved the brown leaf forum here). He directed the University of Illinois #1 Jazz Band. He actually stopped a concert to redress audience members who were lounging with their legs up on the chairs. He pointed out that, in order to actually engage in the music, one should be sitting upright, back slightly away from the seat rest. I wish he was there in movie theaters. I can't wait for them to install electric recliners at the Winter Garden on Broadway. Then we know cultured society is doomed.

Sometimes, when I'm driving cross-country, I go to an afternoon matinee for a nap. It's cheaper than a motel.
It helps if they have recliners. PS: I snore loudly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sometimes I go to smaller higher end grocers just to have a decent shopping experience, well that and their produce is typically a couple steps above the big grocery chains.

The "little guy" can make a go of it IF he identifies what makes him different from, and better than, the big-box, stays true to that strength, ... aaaaand the customer is willing to pay extra for that difference.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The "little guy" can make a go of it IF he identifies what makes him different from, and better than, the big-box, stays true to that strength, ... aaaaand the customer is willing to pay extra for that difference.

And I own some Blackwing pencils. I miss the office supply stores that existed before Office Depot, Office Max and their ilk. The independents had great stuff. Now they all have the same stuff and your are forced online if you want anything outside of the best sellers, which are best sellers because that's all they carry.

I have a pencil sharpener that will do 5 different tapers from golf pencil length taper to a normal length taper.

I hate it when I find something that I want to bid on on that auction site, and I wait the couple of days until the last day. I check the auction about 2 hours before it ends and then get distracted only to miss putting in a bid at all and it sells with only the one bid that was there all along. That's going to bother me for at least a couple days. I can't let stuff like that go. I perseverate. One of my issues. I definitely need some psychiatric help. Don't have the patience for it though. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I hate it when I find something that I want to bid on on that auction site, and I wait the couple of days until the last day. I check the auction about 2 hours before it ends and then get distracted only to miss putting in a bid at all and it sells with only the one bid that was there all along. That's going to bother me for at least a couple days. I can't let stuff like that go. I perseverate. One of my issues. I definitely need some psychiatric help. Don't have the patience for it though. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I encourage you to be philosophic about it, and simply tell yourself that this way you won't have to deal with getting rid of this new acquisition when it comes time for Swedish Death Cleaning.

At the grocery store, I seem to always pick a line that puts me behind someone who pays by writing a check . Not only that but they don't even start the check writing process until their total is presented. Really? Didnt want to go with at least filling out the date, payee, memo, etc. while waiting? Drives me nuts.

Another "waiting in line" irritation... At the drive through ATM I seem to always pick the lane where someone in front of me is, I don't know what, taking out a 2nd mortgage? Seriously, what are you doing at an ATM that takes 15min to complete the transaction???

I wouldn't know. I've never used an ATM machine and wouldn't know how to begin.

As I pass from middle to old age I find I hate going to the store, and the bank, and the movie theater. Come to think of it I guess I just hate people, but I love my dog and pretty much every dog I've ever met. Except my neighbors dog cuz he poops on my lawn. On second thought I like that dog too, dont like my neighbor though.

Top Bottom