What's new

Old Man Rant

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Seeing that you are also from Michigan...

The state with some of the nicest people who would never think twice about offering help to a total stranger yet turn into rude and aggressive a-holes the moment they get behind the wheel. I've lived in MI for almost 30 years now and the state drivers had changed so much in my living memory... from being generally polite and thoughtful on the road to becoming worse than NYC and somewhere on par with Boston and Atlanta drivers. Heck, I've just done a trip to New Jersey and NY State and honestly, they are better / more polite drivers than people around Metro Detroit...
You are sadly so correct. My own theory, as a retired Psych Nurse, is that all our quality folks have left this lovely state!

You are sadly so correct. My own theory, as a retired Psych Nurse, is that all our quality folks have left this lovely state!

My theory is, the Millenials were just never taught to be considerate on the road.

As I said, I can't really say that people are behaving worse now than 20-30 years ago when it comes to personal interactions... just the other day I was on the lake with my inflatable kayak and a guy showed up out of nowhere with a battery pump and very politely offered it to me. In general, I think the people in MI are still mostly decent and generous... until they get in their car. Especially the younger generation. I've never been cut off as often in NYC or Chicago as when I have to drive to the hipster parts of Metro Detroit, especially Royal Oak. Actually, after Juliani's iron fist rule, the drivers in NYC are fairly exemplary :) Every time I have to drive to the downtown RO, I just wish I had a tank, preferably outfitted with a flamethrower.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Time to bring this back!

Subject: legal fireworks. Great just great. Now every tom, dick and harry can buy these ..... All night long im hearing these home grown bombs going off. Im sure the er is full of people with missing fingers. seriously! There ought to be a law!!!

FarmerTan

Time to bring this back!

Subject: legal fireworks. Great just great. Now every tom, dick and harry can buy these ..... All night long im hearing these home grown bombs going off. Im sure the er is full of people with missing fingers. seriously! There ought to be a law!!!
So true. I kinda hate that aspect of the 4th, and nearly every holiday it seems in Michigan lately. Even last Christmas I heard fireworks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ok im on a roll

Subject: Google searches.
lately every time i search i get page after page of results that are marked "AD"
Is google just an advertisement search now?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Time to bring this back!

Fireworks laws...ttttthhhhhhtttttt.

Just get some mustard to slap on the burn when a firecracker goes off in your hand like Mom used to do. People are too whussy these days. The sparks from sparklers are nothing. Just make sure you put your pets up.

Seriously though...mustard is not good, use ice water. And be careful with bottle rockets on which way you shoot them. Bottle rockets are not good in town or in dry conditions. I need to pick up a few fireworks tomorrow, if any stand still has a few. People are shooting them all around out here the last few days after dark...you can walk outside and see the bursts in the sky.

Thought I blew off my thumb and forefinger once when a firecracker went off before I could throw it. I heard the fuse go fffffffttt instead of szszszszsz, and had just enough time to think "Oh crap," and then the explosion. I was in mid throw, and the firecrakcer was right next to my ear when it went off. In the end, everything was still in its place and working properly, but....ouch.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thought I blew off my thumb and forefinger once when a firecracker went off before I could throw it. I heard the fuse go fffffffttt instead of szszszszsz, and had just enough time to think "Oh crap," and then the explosion. I was in mid throw, and the firecrakcer was right next to my ear when it went off. In the end, everything was still in its place and working properly, but....ouch.

Oh that hurts. After you threw them down when they go fffffftttt did you ever stomp on them and then they went bang? Ah, good times.

Oh that hurts. After you threw them down when they go fffffftttt did you ever stomp on them and then they went bang? Ah, good times.
Yep, once or twice. It created a mildly pleasing numbness through my sneakers into the bottom of my foot for a while...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Time to bring this back!

So true. I kinda hate that aspect of the 4th, and nearly every holiday it seems in Michigan lately. Even last Christmas I heard fireworks!

Wow, you guys are nominated as the anti fun police.

Anyone else use Zippo fluid and a tennis ball canister to make a tennis ball launcher?

Now that sounds like fun. Is there flame involved?

Never mind the fact that these fireworks being set off are approaching military grade blast simulators in power.
Never mind that people suffering from PTSD (from whatever cause) can be traumatized by these things.
Never mind the anxiety and fear caused to our furry friends by irresponsible dopes.
Never mind the potential damage to property from these same dopes. 2 yrs ago a house was destroyed in our City because the idiot did not properly ensure the refuse was extinguished, and his neighbour's home was damaged in the 10s of thousands

Yeah . . . it's all good clean fun.

FarmerTan

Lol, Steven Wright always cracked me up. "I hate when my leg falls asleep in the daytime." Looooooong pause: "That means it'll be up all night."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is similar, with about the same rate of success. When it works, it’s great. But you sometimes have flops.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
This is similar, with about the same rate of success. When it works, it’s great. But you sometimes have flops.

LMAO! I was sarcastically thinking to myself 'what could possibly go wrong?' Then I started checking off boxes in my head...

Kids. Waddaya gonna do?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
LMAO! I was sarcastically thinking to myself 'what could possibly go wrong?' Then I started checking off boxes in my head...

Kids. Waddaya gonna do?
Funny how memory works. I remembered it working every time, but after watching the video I thought “yeah, that’s about right”.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That looks kinda like the potato guns made out of PVC where you used hair spray and a piezo lighter installed in it. Those suckers shoot pretty far.

I've never shot one this fancy.

Top Bottom