What's new

Old Man Rant

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My 77 year old mother tore me a new one the other day and I still don’t know why. But I think she felt better afterward.

What ever happened to walking and experiencing everything around you? Almost everyone I see walking either has headphones jammed in their ears OR are staring at a device OR both whilst walking. Some people are SO cut off from the "real" world that is just past their fingertips & screens if they bothered to pay attention.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was cooking dinner tonight and so another trip to whole foods. Among other items i had two hot food bar containers. The question tonight didnt involve a bag ..... "Do you want both of these containers weighed together or separately?
What the what!
I just laughed and said you decide!

I remember when walkmans came out. You couldn't have the headphones on while driving. Nowadays nothing matters

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For the under 30 crowd, those devices are reality.
Its not age
A over 55 woman was behind me in traffic i noticed her head was down. I saw her finally look up and she popped her reading glasses up on top of her head after she was finished reading her phone

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Its not age
A over 55 woman was behind me in traffic i noticed her head was down. I saw her finally look up and she popped her reading glasses up on top of her head after she was finished reading her phone

That is all too true. When it comes to cell/smart phone safety and etiquette, the overwhelming majority of violations I observe are committed by folks that appear to be over 30. These are the folks that did not get this sort of phone until they were adults and, so, have not learned how to smoothly fold it into their lifestyles (and may never). It's sort of like learning a new language as an adult--you'll always have an accent unless you go through some serious coaching.

Having a couple of teenagers in the house, I see a lot of them and their behavior, and they've developed a knack for dealing with their phones while remaining relatively aware of their surroundings (as aware as anyone else might be while paying attention to something other than their surroundings). They also are getting somewhat more discreet in using their phones. In both cases, I'm learning from them.

Its not age

I don’t know how many times I have watched someone behind me at a stop light lose track of their pressure in the brake pedal. I haven’t been rear-ended yet. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is all too true. When it comes to cell/smart phone safety and etiquette, the overwhelming majority of violations I observe are committed by folks that appear to be over 30. These are the folks that did not get this sort of phone until they were adults and, so, have not learned how to smoothly fold it into their lifestyles (and may never). It's sort of like learning a new language as an adult--you'll always have an accent unless you go through some serious coaching.

Having a couple of teenagers in the house, I see a lot of them and their behavior, and they've developed a knack for dealing with their phones while remaining relatively aware of their surroundings (as aware as anyone else might be while paying attention to something other than their surroundings). They also are getting somewhat more discreet in using their phones. In both cases, I'm learning from them.

There's a whole lecture on this ... the kids are "technology natives," whereas (ahem) some of us in our 50s are "technology newcomers."

Worked with a woman in her late 30s-early 40s; was she one of them, or one of us? She starting texting at 60wpm using only her thumbs ... answering the question. One of them.

Yet no-one knows the long term effects of this tech-dependency/idiocy ...

AA

Long term? Children used to walk, run, and now they are chauffeured, sit and use electronic devices. Thumbs will get longer, butts wider. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A lot of places have taken to charging for bags nowadays. The best way of handling that I witnessed the other day ... "do you want to buy a bag?" asked the cashier. Clarity on the cost, so I can decide IF I want to pay the five cents for the bag. (A few days earlier a different cashier at a different store just assumed, bagged and charged me without asking. I said I didn't need a bag so she took the charge off the bill, but ... I much prefer the other method!)

There is nothing worse than a public grilling by a old biddy.

upload_2018-10-12_9-20-36.jpeg

Civility usually gets you farther ahead than being a PITA ... and besides that it lets you feel good about being a Force For Good in the world rather than a Barbarian At The Gate.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yet no-one knows the long term effects of this tech-dependency/idiocy ...

Well, we seem to willingly accept our kids being perpetually entertained by electronic devices. Long car trips are made "manageable" by back-seat DVD entertainment systems and games on Ipads &c ...

Result? Kids never learn to deal with delay and inactivity. Real life will be full of times when you are stuck in a line or a seat for half an hour or half a day ... and you have NOTHING but yourself to occupy yourself. Kids never learn how to do that.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This morning I slept in and when I woke up my wife was not home.
I brewed coffee for me and was about to start breakfast when she called and asked if I wanted her to bring me something.
I told her a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from McDonalds.
What did she bring?
Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from Chic Fil A.
I hate chic fil a. And she knows it.
She said she got it cuz it’s the same thing.
I told her if I had wanted chic fil a I would have asked for it.
And I added: Had you just brought me something without asking I would have eaten it out of courtesy for your kind gesture but you asked me what I wanted and I told you. Why ask if you’re gonna do what you want?
I left the food on the table and I cooked breakfast for myself.

Now if that ain’t an old man rant.......

I’ll eat my shorts!!

What ever happened to walking and experiencing everything around you? Almost everyone I see walking either has headphones jammed in their ears OR are staring at a device OR both whilst walking. Some people are SO cut off from the "real" world that is just past their fingertips & screens if they bothered to pay attention.

I want one of those ear sets. That way, if I talk to myself, no one will think I'm nuts.

Well, we seem to willingly accept our kids being perpetually entertained by electronic devices. Long car trips are made "manageable" by back-seat DVD entertainment systems and games on Ipads &c ...

Result? Kids never learn to deal with delay and inactivity. Real life will be full of times when you are stuck in a line or a seat for half an hour or half a day ... and you have NOTHING but yourself to occupy yourself. Kids never learn how to do that.

Um ... I spent long car trips reading. For hurry-up-and-wait situations, I'd pick a thick paperback. I don't know if that's any different than spending the time using an electronic device.

Top Bottom