What's new

Old instructions on shaving

So is there some reason for three unidirectional passes instead of two diagonal passes?
Just pointing out that a WTG/XTG/ATG pass will rarely be unidirectional, except in the very unlikely circumstance that the grain is absolutely uniform all over your face and neck.

For instance on the right half of my face the grain runs NE-SW on my cheek and NW-SE on my upper lip and the right part of my chin. That's mirrored on the left side of my face, with the center of the chin running N-S.

The right side of my neck has bits running NW-SE, N-S, W-E, and NE-SW.

If you're just doing straight N-S, E-W, and S-N passes all over your face and neck and calling them WTG/XTG/ATG then you're probably not getting the best shave you could be.

(I also suspect that this is the primary reason that people claim new blades tug--because they're actually going ATG when they call it WTG.)

While it sounds time-consuming to go truly WTG on those passes, once you've got muscle memory for it it's fine.

I like the old instruction manuals.

I haven't managed to actually adjust the blade so it would make a difference using the 'loosen the handle', though that might be because when it does get flatter, I find the handle too loose. Maybe I could use a plastic washer in the head to enforce that, though.

On the other hand, riding the top cap (keep the blade low to the skin as much as you can) is something one of the manuals suggests and it tends to work great. I came to using naturally after experimenting with angles and rarely need to change it, with the exception of the first pass on my neck (very tough, curling hair and delicate skin).

The Gillette slide or a head tilt to achieve a similar effect is something I pretty much have to do with most mild razors to get a good shave with one. That and a sort of 2-1 (up to 4-1 maybe) forth-back buffed stroke, skin stretch and in some areas, a slight spoon-like scooping motion (against the growth) and almost any razor works for me. Some I still have to shim, but very few. Hmmm, shims from PVC cards...

PXL_20210215_163908140~2.jpg

PXL_20210215_163835902~2.jpg

Used Mr Razor to print out a few reproduction instructions sheets. I was pleased when I showed them to my wife and she said "Oh, these are new? You just printed them? They look old"

:w00t: That's strange!

Doing Gillette Slides with a Slant is normally a recipe for an ER visit.
Maybe I'm not doing the diagonal in the correct fashion, but I usually do a Slide down my cheeks on my first pass, Slant or no Slant, and get a fine shave. I don't try doing a Slide on my throat with a Slant -- but then I don't do diagonals there anyway.

Last edited:
The other day I found the insert that came with one of my Gillette razors (looks like the instructions are for one of the Super Speeds so probably a mid 50s purchase) and the proper shaving method they describe is to use "Diagonal Strokes". That's pretty much how I remember my dad showing me and pretty much what I've been doings since then. It's not really With The Grain or Against The Grain but rather a combined stroke that is both with and across at the same time and works whether the stroke is downward or upward.

It's been giving me pretty close shaves now for a pretty long time and seems to be quicker and more comfortable than when I try to follow the newer tri-directional pass systems. So is there some reason for three unidirectional passes instead of two diagonal passes?
Yes, there is a reason. I have tried the Gillette stroke in the past, thinking it will spare me the 3rd pass. With my heavy beard it doesn't work. 3 passes WTG ATG and XTG is what gives me BBS.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the Gillette Glide / Slide is probably gives a little cleaner cut to the whiskers regardless the direction of anyone's hair growth, it adds a bit of slice rather than all push cut as far as the edge of the blade is concerned. It does what a slant razor does.

Back in much of the history of DE blades they were thicker and less sharp and smooth compared to today. Just about any shaving literature you can find recommended one wtg pass. ATG was mentioned more of if you wanted a really close shave and seemed more of a once in awhile thing.

I sometimes glide sometimes I don't. I've not liked glides with some of the newer machined razors with open combs. The comb teeth tend to have 90 degree corners on them and don't feel nice dragged across the skin. Nickel, Chrome, Gold, Rhodium or polishing is your friend when it comes to OC razors.

Top Bottom