What's new

Old instructions on shaving

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The other day I found the insert that came with one of my Gillette razors (looks like the instructions are for one of the Super Speeds so probably a mid 50s purchase) and the proper shaving method they describe is to use "Diagonal Strokes". That's pretty much how I remember my dad showing me and pretty much what I've been doings since then. It's not really With The Grain or Against The Grain but rather a combined stroke that is both with and across at the same time and works whether the stroke is downward or upward.

It's been giving me pretty close shaves now for a pretty long time and seems to be quicker and more comfortable than when I try to follow the newer tri-directional pass systems. So is there some reason for three unidirectional passes instead of two diagonal passes?

The other day I found the insert that came with one of my Gillette razors (looks like the instructions are for one of the Super Speeds so probably a mid 50s purchase) and the proper shaving method they describe is to use "Diagonal Strokes". That's pretty much how I remember my dad showing me and pretty much what I've been doings since then. It's not really With The Grain or Against The Grain but rather a combined stroke that is both with and across at the same time and works whether the stroke is downward or upward.

It's been giving me pretty close shaves now for a pretty long time and seems to be quicker and more comfortable than when I try to follow the newer tri-directional pass systems. So is there some reason for three unidirectional passes instead of two diagonal passes?
Nice find, could you post a picture of the instruction. It would be cool to see.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Nice find, could you post a picture of the instruction. It would be cool to see.
Unfortunately no, can't post a picture. One (or more) of my cats decided to read the instructions for a change and must have found something they strongly disagreed with.

Maybe I can find a version online.

AbE: Found a copy online.

And a later one for the adjustable razor that also suggests diagonal strokes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no, can't post a picture. One (or more) of my cats decided to read the instructions for a change and must have found something they strongly disagreed with.

Maybe I can find a version online.
I don't blame him after what you did to him!!!!
proxy.php

Do whatever works best for you. There is no ONE way to shave. I do note that Gillette no longer recommends the diagonal shave, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe for most people the conventional 3 pass shave is best. It just seems easier and faster, at least for me.

Is this what you're referring to?:
:thumbup1: Yep, the good ol' "Gillette Slide."
upload_2017-5-16_18-27-18.png

Today the "Gillette Slide" is considered an advanced technique. Newbie shavers are advised to shave in line with the handle.
That's yet another example.
Just don't try it with a slant. :wink2:

Is that basically what the Slants do? Even when you follow WTG, XTG and ATG?
Indeed yes! That's exactly what a slant razor does.

The advantage of the slant razor is that the razor does the slant for you. Kinda like an automatic tranny shifting in place of a manual transmission, if you'll permit a far-fetched illustration.

which makes the slant much safer for klutzes like me... i can drive a stick but I don't dare shave with the slide...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today the "Gillette Slide" is considered an advanced technique. Newbie shavers are advised to shave in line with the handle.

Just don't try it with a slant. :wink2:
I ain't never been advanced before. Next someone will tell me that writing in cursive with a fountain pen is advanced or driving a stick shift and doing heel-n-toe bees advanced.

The problem I seem to have, is that I now don't naturally shave in a straight line, thus the slant now shaves like a normal razor, I think....

This may be weird but I never really paid any attention to what direction I save in going with or Against the grain. Its all muscle memory i guess I never noticed.

Top Bottom