What's new

Old hospital razor or ?

Received this with a few razors I purchased recently. It’s made out of plastic. I’m guessing it’s an old hospital disposable razor? The others I received were all around 1950ish. Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried shaving with one?

Attachments

• 17DE5E46-30B4-4B42-A05B-F0C6FA82A3CC.jpeg
    17DE5E46-30B4-4B42-A05B-F0C6FA82A3CC.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 579988D3-1E66-4381-99C3-0F171485C24F.jpeg
    579988D3-1E66-4381-99C3-0F171485C24F.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 58DCCD87-4803-4885-956D-4BECE4540378.jpeg
    58DCCD87-4803-4885-956D-4BECE4540378.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 54
I will, eventually. I have a couple of others I want to try first.
It just seems like an oddball razor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am sure that there will be a member here that knows something about the razor. I am interested to find out more myself.

Gentle bump to see if anyone has come across one of these. It has no markings that I’ve noticed.
I can take additional pictures if they would help.

Pretty sure it’s plastic. While I don’t have a ton of experience with Bakelite, it always felt a bit harder than this razor. It’s a hard plastic, but I don’t think it’s Bakelite.
I will track down some scrubbing bubbles, eventually, to test it. It does smell a bit under hot water, but more of a plastic smell than formaldehyde.

Yes, metal stud and metal threaded insert in the handle. The handle is hollow with an end cap.

Attachments

• D52D05E3-86C7-4EEA-8289-0EA0BF1B8C51.jpeg
    D52D05E3-86C7-4EEA-8289-0EA0BF1B8C51.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 15
  • 4F98B7D7-6040-4C29-B1EE-7C9F468B7304.jpeg
    4F98B7D7-6040-4C29-B1EE-7C9F468B7304.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 16
  • CE653A7A-7E57-4AC6-AB49-85548627BB96.jpeg
    CE653A7A-7E57-4AC6-AB49-85548627BB96.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
Was identified as a Cooper here.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Was identified as a Cooper here.

Funny, just came across this thread.

Thank you!
I appreciate the information!

Yes, that is my Cooper. I opened one which I have used and have 4 other NOS boxes of them. From what I learned, the approximate year they were produced would be maybe late forties. The plant was in Brooklyn, New York.

It is very smooth. Once you get used to the very light weight, it is very efficient. I’d put it just a a hair more aggressive that my pre-war Tech. It loves German Wilkies and Lab Blues for me. No stress, 3 pass BBS. Those blade tabs stick out like a champ though, doesn’t bother me but I’m A little more careful around my ears and nose.

Im not sure how durable they are but the one I opened is going strong after about 10 shaves. I baby the threads as what secures them does not appear to be very durable. I think they were meant to cater to travelers and be mostly disposable.

If I owned such a company, the razor would make a perfect stainless resurrection candidate. I’d just extend the head a bit to cover those blade tabs more.

Last edited:
Yes, that is my Cooper. I opened one which I have used and have 4 other NOS boxes of them. From what I learned, the approximate year they were produced would be maybe late forties. The plant was in Brooklyn, New York.

It is very smooth. Once you get used to the very light weight, it is very efficient. I’d put it just a a hair more aggressive that my pre-war Tech. It loves German Wilkies and Lab Blues for me. No stress, 3 pass BBS. Those blade tabs stick out like a champ though, doesn’t bother me but I’m A little more careful around my ears and nose.

Im not sure how durable they are but the one I opened is going strong after about 10 shaves. I baby the threads as what secures them does not appear to be very durable. I think they were meant to cater to travelers and be mostly disposable.

If I owned such a company, the razor would make a perfect stainless resurrection candidate. I’d just extend the head a bit to cover those blade tabs more.

I got one also in my big lot of Coopers.

Thank you THall.
I will give it a go in the near future.
I’m still a green as grass de newbie, with about a half dozen shaves across a few different razors. I purchased a merkur as a starting point, and started looking around locally to see what was available. Ended up picking up a blue tip, fat boy, ambassador and this cooper for $80 Canadian (~$60 US ).
Picked up astra and derby blades with the merkur, and have a few other types coming.

Have so far tried the Merkur, blue tip and fat boy. Really enjoyed the fat boy, found the blue tip too mild. But, I barely know enough to be dangerous at this point.
So next up is the ambassador, then I’ll give the cooper a go.

This forum is phenomenal. I’ve been devouring information for the last couple of weeks and just starting to grasp how much I don’t know. ( that reminds me, I really should do a newbie introduction post)

Again, thank you for the info.

Tried out the Cooper over the last couple of days. Started with a feather on shave 4 that was honestly too far gone, then today tried a fresh feather.

First things first. This razor is a bit beat up, with the threading no longer straight. I gave it a go anyways and noticed right off the bat that this made the razor efficient on one side and near useless on the other. Surprisingly, if I used the efficient side, it gave me a very good shave.
I did a 3 pass shave, no nicks or irritation.

I actually enjoyed the light weight of the razor, but I did have to modify my technique a bit. I wouldn’t want it to be my everyday razor, but it wasn’t awful either.

Top Bottom