What's new

Old Gillette tech became dark after boiling

I'm not that great at identifying razors without a lot of research. I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to tell me what the two n the right, with the ball ends, are?
Sure:

Far right, I believe is an Old Type. The ball on the end was missing and I replaced it with a ball from a non-Gillette copy that was also very old.

Second from right is a Gillette New Long Comb with a ball-end handle. The one to it's right is also a New Long Comb with a fat handle.

Far left is New Short Comb with a fat handle.

I'm not an expert, but that is my understanding. If my assessment is wrong, I am open to correction. 🙂

Fah cryin' out loud. RELAX. You can "sterilize" a razor w/o boiling the damn thing. Soaking in warm water, use a dish washing liquid, and then doing a dip in a rubbing alcohol etc will kill ANYTHING. Dude, it's a razor and you don't need to go thermo-nuclear on it....just saying.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just a note, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting and sterilizing are different processes.

Cleaning removes dirt, dust and other soils from surfaces.
Sanitizing removes bacteria from surfaces.
Disinfecting kills harmful bacteria and viruses from surfaces to a safe level.
Sterilizing kills all microorganisms from surfaces.

Boiling a razor can effectively disinfect or sterilize it, but if it ruins it in the process, it's no more effective than just not using the razor to begin with.

Aside from silly anecdotal stories posted periodically on shaving forums by the terminally paranoid, there are no documented cases of people getting sick traceable to using old razors that have been properly cleaned.

You're much more likely to come into contact with nasties from using the Ice Machine at a fast food restaurant, or improperly washed food ware or utensils at a restaurant.

Arguably, the human mouth is one of the most egregious breeding grounds for horrendous cooties, and most mouths have micro abrasions or cuts. Do you boil your knives and forks on your stove top? Do you think restaurants do?
Do you think the minimum wage busboy who puts the silverware on your table does a 2 minute effective surgical prep job at washing his hands after his last trip to the toilet?
You are making me feel like I should autoclave a BusBoy somewhere!

I've just been triggered!

It's great if it works, not so much if introduces new problems. Least invasive first...hot tap water, soap, short soak. Still not working well, try a longer soak, try cleaning it a few times that way. In the end, if its still not performing, boiling water might be the way to go, though if it is a particularly nice razor, I'd say it is worth the money to have it professionally cleaned if nothing else worked, that way you also get an alignment check/fix as well.
Funny thing is, I'd already soaked the razor in some Barbicide. That didn't remove the gunk (though, again, that wasn't the intended purpose of the Barbicide soak). I admit I may have gone overboard with my sterilization methods, but that led to the happy accident of removing the gunk that had accumulated in the razor and was preventing the knob from twisting freely.

I'd be willing to bet that the razor had been cleaned with soap and water during its lifetime of use before I got it. Yet, those cleanings didn't remove the gunk in the razor. Neither did a Barbicide bath (for the prescribed period of time per Barbicide's instructions). I'd also bet that an alcohol bath wouldn't have done it, either.

In this case, based on your least invasive method philosophy, it would seem that a boiling water soak was actually the least invasive method. 🙂 (Though, I do wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner may have removed any of the gunk without boiling water.) Of course, this would be premised on the idea of the gunk removal being the reason behind the boiling water soak, and not sterilization per se. That said, shouldn't sterilization also encompass gunk removal?

Off topic for sure, but...
I grew up swimming in lakes and ocean. I now live a 25 minute walk from the river. Not a pristine out in the country river, but the water is better than the nearby lakes that are actually in the city (Ottawa). So, I have to kind of scrinch up my brain and not think about it. However, what is even more difficult, is the basic muck/ducks that surround the sand beach area (the city bascially dumped tons of sand in the water and shore to make the beach). There are two beaches... the big one has a huge swathe of sand, no shade, and is where almost everyone goes. The small beach has rock.. breakers? I forget the name, a rock barrier that goes out in a curved line from either side...and has a few more pebbles/rocks, and is a bit colder because it doesn't go in as far, its sort of plopped right on a bit of promontory (??...my English fails me today, a jutting out bit). So. Swimming along, about five yards out, but still in the shelter of the rocks... and a duck comes by, and will not leave. He stays swimming about two yards away... I tried swimming away, and he followed. I'm thinking, look duck, I know what your poop looks like, and I have to try hard enough not to think of it when I'm swimming, and here you are beside me. Buzz off. I finally went completely over to the other side, and he left me alone. Then some seagulls started landing on the rock barrier. *sigh*

Sidenote, on your other point. I haven't fact checked it, but read an article recently that said when we have that strong 'chlorine' smell at a pool, we shouldn't exactly think that is a great thing. Apparently chlorine in that kind of concentration has very little smell...unless there is a lot of pee in the water. If there is a lot of pee in the water, the smell is the offshoot of the chlorine interacting with the pee. Who knew?
It's like I always say, when asked, a little pee in the pool never hurt anyone.

BTW anyone who has never-ever pissed in the pool, please raise your right hand for 5 seconds . . . . . . Um, why do I see no hands? How can that be?

Yes. There was once a rumour here that the pool water had a special chemical that not only changed colour but the chemical could detect what gender you were, based on hormone traces in the urine, so you got blue for a lady and red for a gent.

So Mrs Ladd and I tried it. Imagine our joy as a lovely blue and red billow formed.

As we did a length we looked just like the Blue Angels/Red Arrows (pick your aerobatic display team of choice)

True story doggone! C. @FarmerTan

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I'd already soaked the razor in some Barbicide. That didn't remove the gunk (though, again, that wasn't the intended purpose of the Barbicide soak). I admit I may have gone overboard with my sterilization methods, but that led to the happy accident of removing the gunk that had accumulated in the razor and was preventing the knob from twisting freely.

I'd be willing to bet that the razor had been cleaned with soap and water during its lifetime of use before I got it. Yet, those cleanings didn't remove the gunk in the razor. Neither did a Barbicide bath (for the prescribed period of time per Barbicide's instructions). I'd also bet that an alcohol bath wouldn't have done it, either.

In this case, based on your least invasive method philosophy, it would seem that a boiling water soak was actually the least invasive method. 🙂 (Though, I do wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner may have removed any of the gunk without boiling water.) Of course, this would be premised on the idea of the gunk removal being the reason behind the boiling water soak, and not sterilization per se. That said, shouldn't sterilization also encompass gunk removal?
Removing bioburden is indeed one of the key processes in sterilization, and one of the most frequent points of failure in the process - the reason you can't effectively sterilize something with a small lumen (hole), like a needle. An ultrasonic works well usually, but not possible on some instruments that can't be "shook, rattled and rolled" because parts might fall off or loosen. An adjustable razor might fall into that category if you intended to sterilize it. Pouring boiling water over a solid metal razor might accomplish that as someone suggested, without actually having the razor touch the (much higher heat) base, but the sharp temperature change can also warp metal, even fairly thick metal. Soaking in an organic solvent like acetone or alcohol (maybe with an ultrasonic cleaner), then cold sanitization with something like Barbicide might be preferred if you really had a contaminated (or suspected) razor.

FarmerTan

It's like I always say, when asked, a little pee in the pool never hurt anyone.

BTW anyone who has never-ever pissed in the pool, please raise your right hand for 5 seconds . . . . . . Um, why do I see no hands? How can that be?
And really, you can't spell "pool" without a little "pee".... I mean, a lower case p.

FarmerTan

Yes. There was once a rumour here that the pool water had a special chemical that not only changed colour but the chemical could detect what gender you were, based on hormone traces in the urine, so you got blue for a lady and red for a gent.

So Mrs Ladd and I tried it. Imagine our joy as a lovely blue and red billow formed.

As we did a length we looked just like the Blue Angels/Red Arrows (pick your aerobatic display team of choice)

True story doggone! C. @FarmerTan
You just KNOW that I want to buy some of that.

I'm an amateur Scientist, ya know.

I Love B&B. Where is that popcorn-eating emoji....?.......

:gun_bandana:..................................................................................:taz:

FarmerTan

I Love B&B. Where is that popcorn-eating emoji....?.......

:gun_bandana:..................................................................................:taz:
You have DEFINITELY one of the best profile pics of all time my friend.

AND he's a darn good golfer!

I learn something new everyday, and today YOU are the teacher! Thank you.
I'm an info junkie, it has its good and bad points.
, you made me laugh. Do you speak more than just English? If so, you do well.
Je parle un peu de Francais, mais je suis tres horrible. Something like that. I suck at it. I could maybe get a few key phrases out, and if I brushed up, maybe a bit of intelligible paragraphs. Basically, I can't write it well at all, slaughter it completely when I speak, but, I can actually understand more for reading. I liked reading the dictionary as a kid. I know enough about word roots, Latin, English, etc that I can mostly parse out meaning if its general language, not a specialized topic.

Ich sprechen zie Deutch
Schlect. Tres Schlecht. Very, very Schlecht
Das auto ist schnell. Das auto ist langsam
Die tasche ist braun. Das auto is greun.
Very useful stuff.

FarmerTan

I'm an info junkie, it has its good and bad points.

Je parle un peu de Francais, mais je suis tres horrible. Something like that. I suck at it. I could maybe get a few key phrases out, and if I brushed up, maybe a bit of intelligible paragraphs. Basically, I can't write it well at all, slaughter it completely when I speak, but, I can actually understand more for reading. I liked reading the dictionary as a kid. I know enough about word roots, Latin, English, etc that I can mostly parse out meaning if its general language, not a specialized topic.

Ich sprechen zie Deutch
Schlect. Tres Schlecht. Very, very Schlecht
Das auto ist schnell. Das auto ist langsam
Die tasche ist braun. Das auto is greun.
Very useful stuff.
I'm from Michigan, so English is a second language.

"Hick" is my mother tongue!

I too read the dictionary. And our "grocery store" Funk and Wagnell's encyclopedia......yeah, I had to force that into my incredibly busy social life!

Hey! Nerds can be social!

I'm from Michigan, so English is a second language.

"Hick" is my mother tongue!

I too read the dictionary. And our "grocery store" Funk and Wagnell's encyclopedia......yeah, I had to force that into my incredibly busy social life!

Hey! Nerds can be social!
I forgot to mention in my previous post, that being Canadian, reading French, I have a bit of an advantage, as almost everything has bilingual messaging. I'll read whatever is handy if I'm bored. Sitting at the table eating cereal as a kid, I turn the box to the French side and try to understand it.

After being away for years, I only planned on showing up to get advice on a razor, and then beat a hasty exit. I forgot how fun and friendly it was here, and how many geeks and nerds are about. Always nice when you find your tribe. I still have concerns about a relapse of RAD, so my promise is I can only stay so long as I don't start 'collecting'. I was okay until a week or so ago... and then brushes started to tempt me, and then today I was looking at razors. It's a hard cross to bear. :)

I think the point was to start with least invasive, and if that doesn't work, try more methods... which is more or less what you did anyway. I don't know anything about Barbicide, or even an alcohol bath. Yes, gunk removal first, and then if someone really felt it necessary, sterilization. I guess my step before boiling water, would just be soaking in hot tap water with detergent, along with some swishing and toothbrush cleaning along the way. Also, as someone pointed out, the base of pot will be hotter than the water, so if boiling, some kind of strainer situation might be better... but, I'm still on the 'hot tap water' side of the fence. I'm no expert, most of what I know, the vast majority in fact, is what I've learned here. The ultrasonic cleaner sounds like an interesting idea, I have one and it works well on a lot of things. I'd want to have someone with a lot of experience cleaning razors let me know what they think, before I'd use it on a razor though. Now that I know a place that does professional cleaning, polishing, and adjustment, if it was a razor I liked and intended to keep, I'd probably just do that.

I think the point was to start with least invasive, and if that doesn't work, try more methods... which is more or less what you did anyway. I don't know anything about Barbicide, or even an alcohol bath. Yes, gunk removal first, and then if someone really felt it necessary, sterilization. I guess my step before boiling water, would just be soaking in hot tap water with detergent, along with some swishing and toothbrush cleaning along the way. Also, as someone pointed out, the base of pot will be hotter than the water, so if boiling, some kind of strainer situation might be better... but, I'm still on the 'hot tap water' side of the fence. I'm no expert, most of what I know, the vast majority in fact, is what I've learned here. The ultrasonic cleaner sounds like an interesting idea, I have one and it works well on a lot of things. I'd want to have someone with a lot of experience cleaning razors let me know what they think, before I'd use it on a razor though. Now that I know a place that does professional cleaning, polishing, and adjustment, if it was a razor I liked and intended to keep, I'd probably just do that.
In my case, it was just pure dumb luck that I managed to remove the gunk in the razor by a boiling water soak. It just proves the adage that even a blind squirrel can find a nut! 😁

Top Bottom