What's new

Old Fogies Club: What was your workout today?

Yesterday's indoor cycling workout on Zwift.
10 mins warm-up
Ramp FTP test - got it to 360w (FTP 270, 3.7 w/kg). Not bad for the beginning of the prep for the racing season, but far from my best 320 w/ 4.1 w/kg
10 mins cool-down

FTP.jpg

Managed to get in a third run this week, back to my old route. I was slow and dogging it the first half, which is also slightly up hill. I pushed myself on the way back for a better time than Wednesday.

Shoulder PT:

Weights: curls (2 15 lb barbells) 💪and triceps (35 lbs), 3 reps of 10, plus misc.
Band pulls. Side to side, above head and from floor pulls. 3x10 reps

Running:

Warmups:
stretches, 30 (knee) push-ups, 40 sit-ups. Planks: 60 seconds. Back and leg stretches🧘🏼

Run: 4.8 mi, 60:34 ↪️ 🏃⬅️🏡

Good week of workouts

Tuesday and Saturday total body strength training. Adding pull-ups and dips back in to my heavy duty resistance bands and Nautilus equipment sessions

Thursday was intervals on the Airdyne. Brutal.

All the other days were Zone 2 aerobic sessions using various modalities. These easier days are critical for recovery and my 63 YO joints.

Stay healthy!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hydrorevolution in the Kroc Center pool.

Used only this one versatile piece of equipment.
1676139300587.png

Today I did a longer than usual workout, about 45 minutes.

In addition to walking in the water pushing or pulling the barbell my workout included...
  1. 190 squats
  2. 90 deadlifts
  3. 200 standing benchpresses (remember you're in the water and it makes sense)
  4. flies
  5. curls
  6. 90 Spartans (an exercise almost impossible except in the pool)

Everything in the water is against resistance in all directions of course. Resistance increases with the speed of movement.

1676139759606.png

←These have more resistance than the yellow barbell.

This has less.⇢​
1676139904646.png

Adding weight lifting in the water and extra efficient resistance training in the water has been one of the best exercise decisions I've ever made. I love the variety, the water itself, the movements, the efficiency, and the results. It seems when I'm exercising in the pool a whole lot easier than the post workout feeling and the results might suggest.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Zercher Squats and some barbell leg press ala the old timers with the bar resting on the arch of my foot (in a power rack).

This is an interesting article I've actively pursued size and strength for 40 years and am coming to the same conclusion laid out in this article.

Resistance training may be once per week and walking near daily and some mobility/flexibility a couple times as well.

IMO most that pursuie size or strength don't put enough into recovery but try to "work hard" meaning frequent as that is what delivers in other areas of life. You want to be a concert pianist, once a week won't cut it. You want to be big and strong? Once a week might be right, especially if you've been at it more than a year or two. I think for guys that really enjoy lifting, only going once a week is mentally difficult.

Top Bottom