What's new

Old Fogies Club: What was your workout today?

Not sure if it's relevant to that precise injury, but this is why I've started doing L-Flys to look after my shoulders.
Also I lift weights slowly. As far as I'm concerned, it's harder than explosive jerks, it's better exercise, gives better form, and it's safer.
Maybe some variety of speed is better for growth, but I'm not in any kind of race.

That's good stuff Ray - Thanks. I do variations of those using a cable machine. Again using light weight. It says in that article even if you get to a level of a specified weight not to go higher.

I've found in the past that pushing myself sometimes leads to no workouts at all for a while.

One (of my many) surgeries 18 months ago was a shoulder cleanout for impingement and bursitis which was brought on purely from doing weighted arm raises. That was THE END of the no pain no gain thinking.

I say this to my fellow B&B friends - be careful! Exercise is great but use caution.

I'm curious about this. I have a SLAP lesion in both shoulders, but my right is far more problematic for me. From what I've read this is one of those conditions that you either have to live with or operate on it and not lift heavy. Have you been able to return to the weight room post recovery?

Edit: I just read your reply post to Ray, you're able to do light cable work. I apologize for the diversion.

My workout today was walking about a mile to Starbucks, then the Apple store, then the Holt's cigar lounge and torching a Fuente Anejo Shark (#77). Life is good. :thumbup:

This thread is interesting as far as the wide variety of exercises people are doing in the "old fogies" bracket. Some people are doing more than I could do when I was a jock back in high school.

The bottom line is that it's great people are doing anything they can to try and keep themselves feeling decent.

With a touch of sarcasm and humor I'd like to comment on what I'd say are key variables here.

- The age of an old fogie is vastly different amongst us.
- Some old fogies are in much better shape than others.
- Some old fogies may be the same age but in completely different physical condition due to:
a) damage done during athletics
b) years of previous neglect
c) abuse of ones self (IE partying, eating, risk taking etc)
d) GENETICS
e) any combination of the above

I have a combination of the above variables.

I try and exercise MOST days of the week. I have to try and be very conscientious to not injure myself. One (of my many) surgeries 18 months ago was a shoulder cleanout for impingement and bursitis which was brought on purely from doing weighted arm raises. That was THE END of the no pain no gain thinking.

I say this to my fellow B&B friends - be careful! Exercise is great but use caution.

Well said. For healthy shoulders, overhead presses and chins/pullups are very helpful. Sounds counter-intuitive, but, if you'll do a search on the Starting Strength website, you'll see a lot of info on this, and it has really helped mine.

Today's workout:

Squat 340x2x3
PowerCleans 200x1x13
Some lame curls & calf raises

press:
2x5@150

Push press:
1x4@185

Chin ups:
2x5
1x7

Squats:
2x5@235
1x8@235

Barbell curls:
2x12@80

Neck harness:
3x15@20

I'm curious about this. I have a SLAP lesion in both shoulders, but my right is far more problematic for me. From what I've read this is one of those conditions that you either have to live with or operate on it and not lift heavy. Have you been able to return to the weight room post recovery?

Edit: I just read your reply post to Ray, you're able to do light cable work. I apologize for the diversion.

Actually I do some fairly light dumbbell work also. I usually keep each dumbbell between 15 and 30 lbs. I use the cables for shoulder work similar to the ones is the link Ray posted. I have an Ironmaster bench with the Dumbbell set which I love. I have a basic Body Solid home gym cable machine and a treadmill. Along with bike riding and the condo pool (which I should use more ;-)) I don't have a membership to a gym.

Daily squats to 375x1
Press (1r@95%) PM 135
30 muscle ups
6:04
Holy freaking slow tonight with the muscle ups. I had to resort to using a false grip again.

5 sets of (6-10) dips. Bench press 5 sets of 4or5 at 120pounds. Not so easy when the cat decides to keep jumping on you to try and sleep on your chest. Stupid cat.

Daily squats to 375x1
Clean and jerk to 175x3
95,115,135,150,165,175x2
Working on a serious dislike when it comes to C&J. Time for a reset.

Tonight's workout:
Bench press:
2x5@215
1x8@215

Pendlay rows:
2x5@205
1x10@205

Deadlift:
1x5@205
1x5@245
1x5@295

DB Triceps extension:
2x12@35

Neck harness:
3x15@20

Cardio on exercise bike (45mins + warm up/cooldown; intense bursts.)
Much easier than last time.
A few token strength exercises, L-flyes, pullups.

Top Bottom