What's new

Old favorite no longer any good...

Hi all!

I have had some really nice shaves with Lord Platinum blades through the years, and I even have a stash of appr 100 Plats left in my closet.
But the last year I have shaved mainly with Lord Silver Star, Astra SS and for my skull the post 2016 Derby Extra, and some other blades occasionally.

The last 2 weeks I have gone back to my Lord Plats and the shaves have been anything but good.
No smoothness, no sharpness, a bit tuggy and I have cut myself more than usual.
I have used the Plats in a variety of razors, the same razors the Plats worked well with before.

It's sad because I really liked my Lord Plats and now they are no good

As you guys say, it can be a change in my skin or my beard, I don't know.
But going from 58 to 59 years old should not change that much on my complexion or my beard.
My whiskers are still grey/white and feels like barbed wire, just like last year.
But I have noticed a few more wrinkles in my face, and my skin is maybe not as firm as last year.

It's time to put the blades on Swedish ebay and sell them, I can always buy new Silver Star for the money 😉

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As you guys say, it can be a change in my skin or my beard, I don't know.
But going from 58 to 59 years old should not change that much on my complexion or my beard.
My whiskers are still grey/white and feels like barbed wire, just like last year.
But I have noticed a few more wrinkles in my face, and my skin is maybe not as firm as last year.

It's time to put the blades on Swedish ebay and sell them, I can always buy new Silver Star for the money 😉
I honestly can't remember if I ever used the blades in question, but those Silver Star's could easily be daily drivers for me.

If I trusted my lovely bride enough I'd have her load my razor for me and see if I could tell the difference between that and a GSB.

But I've watched enough murder mysteries on TV with her, seeing her writin' stuff down on a legal pad with a smile on her face that I ain't NEVER gonna fall fer that ol' trick!

I might've been born at night, but not last night!

I honestly can't remember if I ever used the blades in question, but those Silver Star's could easily be daily drivers for me.

If I trusted my lovely bride enough I'd have her load my razor for me and see if I could tell the difference between that and a GSB.

But I've watched enough murder mysteries on TV with her, seeing her writin' stuff down on a legal pad with a smile on her face that I ain't NEVER gonna fall fer that ol' trick!

I might've been born at night, but not last night!
Night before last? :001_302:

Hi all!

I have had some really nice shaves with Lord Platinum blades through the years, and I even have a stash of appr 100 Plats left in my closet.
But the last year I have shaved mainly with Lord Silver Star, Astra SS and for my skull the post 2016 Derby Extra, and some other blades occasionally.

The last 2 weeks I have gone back to my Lord Plats and the shaves have been anything but good.
I have used the Plats in a variety of razors, the same razors the Plats worked well with before.

Something in your technique has possibly changed, hence, we all tend to get a bit lazy when all things are working well. Check yourself in this dept. Also, have you changed to a diffferent soap/cream? Could be a factor...

Hi all!

If nothing has changed on your routine then maybe you (skin, stubble) are the changed factor?

Something in your technique has possibly changed, hence, we all tend to get a bit lazy when all things are working well. Check yourself in this dept. Also, have you changed to a diffferent soap/cream? Could be a factor...

Along the lines of @Multum in parvo 's comment, the season could be a factor. I know around here (Western NYS) the humidity tends to be very low in winter, especially indoors. That could affect both your skin and your whiskers, making it tougher to shave, and easier to cut or irritate your face.

If the blades you have always liked and now the blades you don't like are coming out of that same 100-blade stash, then the issue must be with your skin conditions. Is that where the good and now bad blades are coming from?

Hi all!

Maybe your stock of Lord Platinums have degraded, partial oxidation in their paper wrappers?

I'd recommend trying to find some new Lord Platinum blades (maybe just a 5 pack) to see how they fare.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Maybe your stock of Lord Platinums have degraded, partial oxidation in their paper wrappers?

I'd recommend trying to find some new Lord Platinum blades (maybe just a 5 pack) to see how they fare.
This is probably not a bad idea. Weird stuff is happening lately with blades!

I keep all my blades in a closet in our master bedroom, except for the actual tuck of blades I am using.

Yes, maybe my technique have changed, I don't know.
I use my regular creams/soaps I have used for several years.
I have how ever changed my rotation of razors, I don't use my old Tech's as often as I used to.
Now I mostly use my Gillette Flare Tip (British), Parker Semi-Slant and Fatip Grande OC.

If the blades you have always liked and now the blades you don't like are coming out of that same 100-blade stash, then the issue must be with your skin conditions. Is that where the good and now bad blades are coming from?
Or it could be that I mostly use different razors today?
Lord Plats did go very well with Gillette Tech, my old Matador Precisions Rakhyvel, Lord L5 and S625 and Schick Krona, and even in Feather Popular.
My Krona, my Popular and my Tech's are on loan to friends who are interested in wet shaving.
My Matadors and Lord razors are somewhere in one of my closets, hidden behind I don't know what...

If you're open to trying a straight razor, there were many very good ones made in Eskilstuna. I have seen many good ones sell for less than 400 SEK. No need to ask me how I know, but there are no customs fees or VAT for purchases from within the EU.

If you're open to trying a straight razor, there were many very good ones made in Eskilstuna. I have seen many good ones sell for less than 400 SEK. No need to ask me how I know, but there are no customs fees or VAT for purchases from within the EU.
I have a bunch of old Straight's
I have a couple of Heljestrand, a Jernbolaget, a Sheffield Giant, A Kikoboshi, and a Parker SRX Shavette.
I love my straight's but it's more convinient for me to use my safety razors.
I often use my straight's when I am free from work and when I have plenty of time for my shave ;)

Top Bottom