What's new

Old Faithful After Shave

Over the years, I have used many after shaves...I guess there is a trend now to use "eau de toillette" and colognes exclusively among the "younger" crowd.

I'm still an advocate of using after shaves or balms on my face and prefer them over cologne "behind the ear" or "splashing" my body with something that may end up as stains on my clothes.

The point I wanted to make in this post is about quality and price.

True, some of my favorite after shaves and balms are quite pricey...but there is one after shave that I have used since I was basically a peach fuzzed kid trying to force a beard to erupt. This after shave is primarily the one I have been complimented the most by; especially from the ladies.

Aqua Velva. Inexpensive and available at most stores that use a cash register. What I don't understand about the formula is how this alcohol laden solution, that has a very unique fragrance, can actually make my face look tighter and conditioned. It does this without any irritation or redness. Is this that "something" about an Aqua Velva man that the old jingle refers to?

On the other hand, most of the other more expensive AFs (excluding balms) cause my face some temporary redness. Also, the skin never seems visually as well conditioned.

As for a shave balm, nothing beats Caswell/Massey sandalwood balm.

Hello to all and thanks for reading...my second post.
Gonzalo.

Since nobody else stepped in to comment, I will say that of all the a/s I've tried and used, Aqua Velva is definetely in the top three. Not sure what it is, maybe the glycerin and alcohol proportions are just right, but it treats me better than almost any other aftershave. Not greasy or tacky and just the right amount of cooling and moisture for my face.

The scent, well, I would probably pick a different one if given the choice, but it's not bad by any means, at least to me.

John

Yes, I like the scent of Aqua Velva too. Maybe its a nostalgia thing, because its something that we all probably had or used at some point in our past. But it does have a nice scent. And, yes, alcohol aftershaves -while not all that great for our skin - can actually feel pretty good sometimes. I like the really clean feel that they can give me. And I also like the way they can feel if you shave, splash them on, and then go out on a cold day. I avoid them and I understand that they are not good for the old epidermus, but I still use them once in a while.

In regard to your comments about cologne... I have many colonges, most of which I really like. But I try to use only a tiny amount so as to just have a hint of it on me. Many people work in places that are becoming (or already are) scent free. That means no colonges, perfumes, strong aftershaves, flowers, etc. But aftershaves may be tolerated in these places if they are not that strong and do not last for a long time. So that is one reason why I prefer them to colonges. I think the fragrance industry has caught onto this trend and is focusing more on non-perfume/colonge products like aftershavs, moisturizers, balms, shampoos etc.

as far as aftershaves are concerned, my number one favorite is still Mennen Skin Bracer Original. It smells nice and clean, not overwhelmingly perfumy, and has a great cooling sensation.

Jeff

crackstar said:
as far as aftershaves are concerned, my number one favorite is still Mennen Skin Bracer Original. It smells nice and clean, not overwhelmingly perfumy, and has a great cooling sensation.

Jeff

I like it also!

Last edited by a moderator:
AV is pretty good stuff. I used to use it a lot when I was still using the Mach 3, but have stopped using it lately due to some nice smelling soaps. On days that I'd nick myself, it felt like I drank an extra cup of coffee after the sting, oy! :biggrin:

Aqua Velva is one of three favorite "alcohol-based" aftershaves. You don't need much of this stuff to do the job, in fact I usually slap it on my face right after the final cold rinse while my face is still wet. Doing it this way locks in a bit extra moisture. It'll be in my rotation as long as they are making it.

Also, I must say...the scent is great!

I have been using there new balm. I eally have been liking it a lot lately. It feels great going on and makes my face feel moisturized all morning My wife has complemented on the scent which is important as well.

Glen

crackstar said:

Jeff

I love this stuff, it is cheap, it feels great and it smells terrific.

Top Bottom