What's new

Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As many are aware, I am a staunch believer of the idea that leather is by far the best material for handgun holsters. Still think that is true.
But, for myriad reasons I acquired a Hybrid
Leather/Kydex holster for my Beretta Nano.
Made by Tommy Theis in Arkansas I have to say this is a legit bit of goods. It has an adjustable can't and carry height; can also be carried IWB or OWB. Fit and finish are quite good, lifetime warranty and the price is good. Worth a look if you're in the market.

View attachment 1080599

OMG...he has went over to the Dark Side!

They must have offered him cookies.

D4546791-675A-4DBC-A523-EE2FAA304766.jpeg

Be assured, a Kydex holster may possibly be acquired to be used alongside of a proper leather rig, but never to be used in place of one. Cookies be damned!!!😆
45CE1709-242C-45D0-8ABA-2EF99A1642F1.jpeg

Ironically though, my go to leather guys (Andrews, Ritchie, Grizzle...) advised they could not make a holster for the newly acquired Kahr CT 380. Had to go to the second tier makers (definition-good but not great) for a respectable leather OWB. Found two...Wright Leather Works and Mitch Rosen. I own/use gear made by both; Wright has the edge for the type of holster I want for the Kahr (Askins-Nelson Avenger style). 8-10 week lead time thanks to the virus mess.
At least I found a decent supply of Hornady Critical Defense for it. Brownell's. Fair price-reasonable (and quick) shipping.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble
OWB seems pretty good. Not as "firm" as an Andrews Saddle holster but certainly secure and comfortable. The leather backing comes up the entire length of the pistol, shielding it from your hide. I don't think I would want to carry a larger frame handgun in one of these. A Glock 19 I think would be pushing it. The sub-compacts should do well.
If I didn't already have an IWB holster (Milt Sparks Summer Special II) for my G43X I would most probably acquire one of these for that gun as well.
View attachment 1080973

I like simple and functional and that looks to be both. I’m going to see if they offer one for the G43X with a light attachment. Thanks Tim.

And kydex is comfy-er if you glue some velvet to the interior side if it’s on skin. Grips garments well too.

as far as sweaty kydex, it’s down to the holster, weapon and person. I inspect for and wipe down sweat every time they come off.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Is kydex good with sweat? I love leather, but in Texas it can be a bit much sometimes

Kydex is better than leather for sweat. Leather is more comfortable than kydex. I think it's funny when I see an IWB leather holster with a leather sweat guard to keep sweat off of the pistol, because today's modern pistol finishes, usually can handle the sweat better than the leather can. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sweat does not get to the gun/ avoid rust (important in hot environments) for those IW.
Devil's advocate: kydex is less bulky than leather.

Minimize that carry profile!

There's a reason why crappy, soul-less Bic lighters took over from classic, soulful Zippos: they work better!

AA
And kydex is comfy-er if you glue some velvet to the interior side if it’s on skin. Grips garments well too.

as far as sweaty kydex, it’s down to the holster, weapon and person. I inspect for and wipe down sweat every time they come off.
Kydex is better than leather for sweat. Leather is more comfortable than kydex. I think it's funny when I see an IWB leather holster with a leather sweat guard to keep sweat off of the pistol, because today's modern pistol finishes, usually can handle the sweat better than the leather can. :)
Thanks

Leather is a lot easier on human-hide than is Kydex. Ballistol is all it takes to wipe down a sweaty firearm. Skin is a tad more tricky to rejuvenate.

Top Bottom