What's new

Old dog learning new tricks

Howdy, all. Just joined, and looking forward to learning a lot here as I begin my journey into straight-razor shaving.

Started with a Parker shavette a week ago (because it is a lot cheaper than a decent straight razor), figuring I'll learn technique and, once comfortable enough with that, eventually graduate to a straight razor.

I'm taking it slow, and have only gotten to the point where I can shave the whole right side of my face (not including the neck yet), though it's still not as close as the (hideously expensive) cartridges I've been using until now. I'm guessing that will improve with experience.

I will definitely have some questions going forward, and am very glad to have found this forum!

Welcome to B&B. Have a look in the straight razor section for some great help. You will have to learn to shave the left side left handed.

Welcome!
Shavettes are a good way to start and to learn to use a straight.
If you are happy with the Parker, that's good. I have always found most shavettes to be much smaller in length than an actual straight so when the time comes it will feel different - but similar.

Yeah, the shortness of the blade requires more strokes, but given the unforgiving sharpness of the blades I think that's a good thing for beginners like me.

And thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to B&B. Have a look in the straight razor section for some great help. You will have to learn to shave the left side left handed.

Thanks! The best intro video I've found so far (by Lynn Abrams of Straight Razor Designs) showed him switching hands like that, which I'll work on once I've grown comfortable with the entire right side.

My favorite straight razor video. Unfortunately, by the time I started wetshaving I already had a hand tremor and Dupuytren's contracture in both hands, so I stick with DE.

My favorite straight razor video. Unfortunately, by the time I started wetshaving I already had a hand tremor and Dupuytren's contracture in both hands, so I stick with DE.

Thanks, I'll give it a watch! I've gotten to the point where my cartridge razor is stashed away in the drawer, and I'm using only the shavette. My left-hand work is definitely not as good as my right though. Nice thing about a shavette, I can practice without a blade to improve my handling. :)

I rapidly realized I needed a better shaving cream; tried Cremo first and am now using Proraso. Also decided I could use some beard oil and aftershave, so I decided to try the whole Proraso white trio, which I'm liking. Also ordered their repair gel, because my stypic isn't always enough - though I expect to need that sort of thing less and less as I learn.

And now I'm realizing a brush would definitely work better than my hands, so that and a mug will be my next purchase. I'm also considering an adjustable DE safety razor to touch up a couple of spots I'm having trouble maneuvering well with the shavette - anyone else do that?

So I finally had a moment to watch the video, and from it I learned some other ways to hold the razor that should help me get the spots I've had some trouble with on the second pass (specifically, where the jawline starts to go beneath the ear). Thanks for posting it!

Next on my list is a brush. Rather than assembling a complete kit to start, I've been starting as simply as I can - with the cream I had been using with my cartridge razor, and a Parker shavette. This way I can more easily understand why I would want to add or change additional things once I sensed a need.

First, I realized I needed a better shaving cream, so I got read some reviews and got some Cremo because I was used to a fairly translucent cream where I could see my face underneath more clearly.

Then I realized I could use some more lubrication, so I got the Proraso white pre-shave, which helped.

Next, I decided I wanted to try a more opaque lather so I could see better where I still had cream vs where I didn't. I decided to stick with Proraso and got the white cream.

My shave was getting closer, but there was still some irritation afterward - time for some Proraso white after-shave balm. A bit later, I grew tired of my drugstore stypic pencil and got their repair gel.

And now I've decided I want a richer lather, so I'm looking at brushes. I'll start with face-lathering, to stick to the principal of smallest-step-at-a-time. From what I've been reading, a "best badger" sounds like a good way to go, or a similar synthetic. Having a bit of trouble narrowing that down though, as there are so many options!

After that, I'll see if other needs pop up that might make me want to try bowl-lathering, but at that point I might be good to just keep a steady course until I've used up most of the Shark blades that came with the shavette - which means it will be time to upgrade to a traditional straight razor!

And learn how to strop. Or I wonder I can learn how to strop before then, with the shavette. Is that possible, or are they too different to use the same technique?

Top Bottom