What's new

Old Brushes

I've been getting an itch to pick up an old, very cool looking brush on Ebay and have it rebristled. Something about using an old brush (handle at least) to go with the old razor. Has anyone done this and about how much did it run? And, more importantly, I want to see some pictures. :smile:

Dennis

I have the feeling mr Ebay knows more about this subject, including some pictures of rebristled ivory handled brushes....:a32:

I am waiting from a call back from Blankity blank for a "head" for an old omega that I got in Italy many years ago- its not a real problem to swap out the head, I used a drill press and drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the plug ,boiled the brush itsoftens the glue and you can work out the plug,
Cooncatbob has made a couple of brushes also.

a 30mm head of silvertip is about 65.00 at blankity -blanks

I would not do this with a real old bakelite or ivory brush BTW

drP said:
I have the feeling mr Ebay knows more about this subject, including some pictures of rebristled ivory handled brushes....:a32:

If Mr Ebayer is me, then, uh, no. The only shaving thing I bought on Ebay was some Derbys from Howard. I don't have any particular handle in mind, it is more one of those I'll know it when I see it type of thing...

Dennis

Goosemeplease said:
I am waiting from a call back from Blankity blank for a "head" for an old omega that I got in Italy many years ago- its not a real problem to swap out the head, I used a drill press and drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the plug ,boiled the brush itsoftens the glue and you can work out the plug,
Cooncatbob has made a couple of brushes also.

a 30mm head of silvertip is about 65.00 at blankity -blanks

I would not do this with a real old bakelite or ivory brush BTW

Doesn't seem like a bad deal. The blankity-blanks site is a little confusing, but it looks like they sell both the separate badger heads already plugged and handles that they turn as well. It would be nice to see some pictures of the various wood handles instead of just listing the wood though. I assume you will just glue the plug into your old-new handle? I am curious if the size is not exact how it would look. I wonder also if this is what Bernd does...

Dennis

I am not sure that blankety- etc sells handles I believe they only sell blanks for wood turning. The matching of the old handle and the new brush head is of course key a 1/16 th could be easily made up with the epoxy.

Mike02 said:
If Mr Ebayer is me, then, uh, no. The only shaving thing I bought on Ebay was some Derbys from Howard. I don't have any particular handle in mind, it is more one of those I'll know it when I see it type of thing...

Dennis

At your service:

proxy.php

Both ivory brushes rebristled by Shavemac last year. Both are silvertip, 23mm and 25mm. 23mm knot was $64 US and the 25mm was $72. Labor was $12 and shipping was $12. Total $160 US. Fast turn around. You should check the current pricing from Shavemac.

Blankityblanks is located in Austin Texas and can supply quality knots as well but you might want to email them to see if they will install the knot besides supplying it.

Wow, that ivory PJ is gorgeous! I think I knew it when I saw it... :tongue: What year do you think that is?

Dennis

Mike02 said:
Wow, that ivory PJ is gorgeous! I think I knew it when I saw it... :tongue: What year do you think that is?

Dennis

Dennis....Year of manufacture is unknown but it was originally sold by Bullock's department store on Wilshire boulevard in Los Angeles. If I had to guess I would date it during Bullock's heyday, 40's perhaps. Bullock's was an ultra high end store, comparable to Bergdorf-Goodman today.

Top Bottom